PDA

View Full Version : Just Sharing thoughts... maybe regrets.. I dunno

KellyStick
04-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Been playing APA for 12+ years. Used to get real into each match and couldn't wait to play. Loved and still do love the 1:1 competition. Have a full time job that I have also advanced in (age 46 now) and just really can't handle the late nights and showing up to work tired. PLus we all like to drink too so that doesn't help. Some Thursdays (only shoot Thursdays) I just don't want to go. It becomes a drag to think about. I love it but work comes first.

So we are disbanding the team. This is our last session for now. Not done shooting pool but will be taking a break from league. Also, I just don't shoot like I used to. Meaning, I don't shoot as much. I still like it but don't spend 5 hours on a Monday night shooting by myself like I often did 5 years ago.

I've been shooting very well lately even with less practice. love the win and/or the battle.

Feels like I'll be missing this soon. Anyone been through this? Any advice or just some thoughts?

JoeW
04-28-2010, 03:11 AM
I played in the leagues for about 10 years and quit about five years ago. Then went back for a session, and then played TAP for a year. Many of my friends are pool players and, to be honest, I kinda missed playing on Wednesday night that is how I wound up back in the leagues.

I am not much of a drinker and I did not like the sandbagging. I did not mind sitting out four matches because we all had such a good time with a beer and BS. We all brought our wives along (or they too played in the league) so it was a fun night all around. Obviously not all of the league teams were like ours but we had a lot of fun with everyone.

After awhile the down side just got to be too much, friends moved to new jobs, there were a few bad, really bad, nights with other teams or bar room shenanigans and we all started to drift apart.

Like you, I had a table at home and started to have round robin tournaments based on league handicaps at our house. It was $5.00 to get in and we paid 1st – 3rd. Anyone could win and we were basically back at our old leagues days with the party switched to Saturday night in a BYOB pool room. Because most everyone had played in the leagues things ran smoothly and we all seemed to have a ball.

Sold the farm about six months ago and the wife and I have "retired" to a Florida active retirement community where we have four GC IIIs in the billiards room. Now I play a lot of 14.1 by myself. Just haven’t met anyone yet who likes to play at 7:00 PM.

I suggest trying your own variant with 5 – 9 couples over to your house on Sat. It was a great time. Some people played cards, some on the Wii, some went swimming or got in the hot tub. The rest of us got in an intense round robin where you had to play everyone else at least twice. Seemed like league night at our house only better because everyone played everyone else. The woofing was some of the best I have ever heard.

JoeW
04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Here is a link to the rules we used.
http://www.sunburstselect.com/PBReview/8BallRoundRobin.htm
They took a while to develop and seemed to work quite well.

hondo
04-28-2010, 04:06 PM
I wish we had an APA in my area.
Closest one is 65 miles away and
the team nearest me ( 25 miles) already have their team.

I just have nowhere to play, dern it!

KellyStick
04-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Wow, interesting. TY. Will need to look into this a bit more. I was thinking of Poker Game, some grillin and eating of course, we have a pool etc..

zilllski
05-12-2010, 01:45 AM
ahuh! i'm thinking of playing Poker or Black Jack.