PDA

View Full Version : The rules of the road

wolfdancer
04-28-2010, 07:57 PM
seemingly there are no rules.....and no traffic lights...

"This film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35mm film ever. It was taken by camera mounted on the front of a cable car.

The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. Absolutely amazing! The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there. ... How many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick up after the horses? Talk about going green!

Great historical film!
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=NINOxRxze9k

This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!).. It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th 1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing. Amazing, but true! "

*** (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=NINOxRxze9k)

Sev
04-28-2010, 08:17 PM
A very interesting find.

cushioncrawler
04-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Amazing.

hondo
04-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Wow! That is one of the neatest things I have seen in a long time! Thanks, Wolfie. You da man!

LWW
04-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Last time I was in California they still drove like that.

Thanks for sharing.

LWW

Chopstick
04-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Excellent find. It also begs the question, is what we have now really better?

LAMas
04-29-2010, 08:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent find. It also begs the question, is what we have now really better? </div></div>

Yes,we have a J-Walking Law now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
It looks like Broadway Avenue in Downtown Los Angeles which is mostly Hispanic now.

LWW
04-29-2010, 10:17 AM
They should take those street cars and make them jump Holmes.

LWW

hondo
04-29-2010, 10:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amazing. </div></div>

CC, reminds me of Paris except in Paris there's 100 Xs
more cars and 40 Xs faster. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Plus, all those damn bicycles in Paris weaving in and out of the traffic.

Sid_Vicious
04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
OK Wolf, we all know the reason you sent this to show that you could actually ride a bicycle as a kid ;-) Seriously though, that was very interesting. I was just praying that the beer wagon wouldn't get clipped. sid

cushioncrawler
04-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Az an ex traffik engineer, i woz partikularly interested in the fakt that there were more cars and carts crossing the road than going along the road.
madMac.

wolfdancer
05-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Mac, them different rules you got over there, almost got me killed. First port we hit was Brisbane, and I looked to the left before crossing,and just before I stepped onto the street, a car went speeding by, "going the wrong way". Seems the whole country drives the wrong way....what kind a traffic engineers ya gots there??

cushioncrawler
05-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Yes, lots of tourist'peds get squashed on our roads every year.
And lots of head'on prangs allso.
madMac.