PDA

View Full Version : I said the same thing.

Qtec
05-01-2010, 06:08 PM
During the HC debate, I suggested that keeping the nation healthy could be considered a matter of Nat Security. You guys thought I was nuts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style='font-size: 20pt'>Fat Americans<u> a 'security threat'</u></span>

Rising rates of obesity among young Americans could undermine the future of the US military, two retired generals have warned.

More than a quarter of young Americans are now too fat to fight, they said.

Writing in the Washington Post, the ex-commanders said the fat crisis ruled out more potential military service recruits than any other medical factor.

They want Congress to introduce laws to give US children better nutrition in schools, with less sugar, salt and fat.

John Shalikashvili and Hugh Shelton, both former chairmen of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, wrote: <span style='font-size: 17pt'>"Obesity rates <u>threaten the overall health of America and the future strength of our military."</u>

"We consider this problem so serious from <u>a national security perspective </u>that we have joined more than 130 other retired generals, admirals and senior military leaders in calling on Congress to pass new child nutrition legislation," </span>the commanders added.

The warning comes amid mounting fears that childhood obesity has turned into an "epidemic" affecting an astonishing one in three young American people.

Mr Shalikashvili and Mr Shelton pointed to post-school lunch laws from 1946, which recognised that poor nutrition reduced the pool of military recruits.

"We must act, as we did after World War II, to ensure that our children can one day defend our country, if need be." </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Q.......... link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8655651.stm)

Sev
05-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Not I.
The problem concerning the slacker generation is severe. We will see the American lifespan shorten because of this.

pooltchr
05-01-2010, 08:46 PM
This may very well be true, but it is not the place of government to dictate matters of personal health to individuals.

As I recall, when I went through basic training, if someone wasn't in good shape when the started, they were in pretty darn good shape 11 weeks later. And since our military is all volunteer, anyone who wants to sign up is probably going to be in decent physical condition to begin with.

I think we have other far more important issues to be concerned about.

Steve

sack316
05-02-2010, 06:42 AM
The more I get to see advanced weaponry, fighting styles, and development of future fighting... the more it seems that the fat kid who sits at home playing video games will become the more ideal soldier of the future anyway. Seems eventually there will be fewer and fewer boots on the ground, and more remotely controlled robotics doing the fighting.

Sack

LWW
05-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Trust me ... US Army basic training is fully capable of turning Freddie DeLardazz into a fierce machine.

LWW

LWW
05-02-2010, 06:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we have other far more important issues to be concerned about.

Steve </div></div>

Not if you are a statist.

A good party member must always put the advancement of state power, and the restriction of personal liberty, ahead of all else.

LWW

Stretch
05-02-2010, 09:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may very well be true, but it is not the place of government to dictate matters of personal health to individuals.

As I recall, when I went through basic training, if someone wasn't in good shape when the started, they were in pretty darn good shape 11 weeks later. And since our military is all volunteer, anyone who wants to sign up is probably going to be in decent physical condition to begin with.

I think we have other far more important issues to be concerned about.

Steve </div></div>

Steve, both my girls are in Army Cadets and they love it! It's Free and they earn money going to thier summer camps. They learn drill, marksmanship, woodscraft, orientation, survival skills, working as a team, respect and personal hygene, the list goes on and on! I myself did boot Camp as well as 3 years in the Canadian Navy. My view is that EVERYONE does a manditory tour of duty for their country. I'd rather see them working for thier community and country than seeing them running around in gangs or holed up inside with x-boxes and pc's. St.

pooltchr
05-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I totally agree. I was just a wild kid at 18. 4 years in the service made me grow up, and taught me responsibility and self reliance.
Mandatory military service would do more for this country than just about any government program they can come up with. Just imagine a country of responsible, mature adults!

Steve

LWW
05-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree that everyone should serve their country in some capacity for some time at some point.

Where we differ is that I don't believe in the myth of "mandatory volunteerism" in all but the most desperate of situations.

LWW

pooltchr
05-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't think of it in terms of mandatory volunteerism. I think of it in terms of giving something to the country that has given us such great opportunities.
And, since the military is only volunteer in the respect that nobody has to do it, it's also a job with a paycheck. Nobody is doing something for nothing.

Steve

LWW
05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
That really was directed more at Stretch's call for mandatory service.

Mandatory service is merely temporary slavery.

Even in times of war, taking those who wouldn't volunteer ... which in Viet Nam/WWII/WWI most draftees would have and did volunteer anyway ... it merely brings headaches into the system which causes a waste of resources to manage the headaches.

Just as an example, how many resources were squandered in the Cassius Clay/Muhammed Ali incident ... who BTW is the only actual conscientious objector I can name from that era ... during Viet Nam?

As an addendum ... any review of 1960's era history will reveal that the far left's anti war protests ended with the end of the draft. IOW ... their issue wasn't the war, it was having to step from their self centered world and serve their country.

As much as I dislike that attitude ... I have to say that it is IMHO fruitless to pursue such people.

LWW