PDA

View Full Version : GOP gimmicks

Qtec
05-02-2010, 05:07 AM
From the horses mouth.

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0th2322w&feature=player_embedded)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> GILCHREST: For example, when Obama asked a large contigent of Democrats and Republicans to come to the White House to begin to talk about the healthcare bill, the whip — who I know well, my good friend Eric Cantor from Virginia, a Republican — brings in the bill. Now he didn’t bring in suggestions. He didn’t want dialogue about how to make this better, he brought in a bill. And when it was his time to discuss the issue, all he talked about was how big the bill, how complicated the bill is, how much they don’t have time to read the bill and all these things, which was really a waste of time. [...]

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>But the Republicans came to that meeting, and they planned prior to that meeting how they would try to disrupt that meeting. And the reason I say that is because I’ve been in many meetings with Republicans, as a Republican member of Congress, when they discuss certain pieces of legislation, but when they discuss how we can totally disrupt the Democratic majority from the subcommittee right on to the House floor. That’s how often, that’s how meetings were at times. I remember one time Secretary Paulson came into a meeting to give us a heads up about potential economic calamity and we listened to him for 15 minutes and the Minority Leader, John Boehner, dismissed Mr. Paulson because we had to get to two things — <u>how to disrupt the Democrats from the subcommittee to the House floor, and how to raise money for the next election. </u>
</span>
Watch it: </div></div> link (http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/01/gilchrest-gop-gimmicks/)

Q

Sev
05-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Yuh Huh?
And the Dems have not been guilty of the same if not worse?

Everyone of these people need to be ousted every election cycle.

LWW
05-02-2010, 07:24 AM
So ... they came in with the suggestion that everyone have time to read the bill before meeting on it, that the bill be made less complicated, and that the bill be shortened up.

And we are now expected to believe that a list of suggestions wasn't a suggestion at all?

The author of that piece was obviously practicing doublethink.

LWW

pooltchr
05-02-2010, 07:57 AM
This seems to be a common thread running through the left. There is no reason in their mind to actually read and understand something before they vote for it.
After all, they elected a president about whom they knew nothing!

Steve

Qtec
05-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Lets summarise.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Not one of you made any comment on the conduct of the GOP. You all just ignored the post.</span>

Sev's reply was,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "....but the Dems.......". </div></div>

LWW, as usual hinted at some "conspiracy...." ?

You came up with,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">his seems to be a common thread running through the left. There is no reason in their mind to actually read and understand something before </div></div>

Did you watch the video? I don't think you did.

Do you know what this means?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember one time Secretary Paulson came into a meeting to give us a heads up about potential economic calamity and we listened to him for 15 minutes and the Minority Leader, John Boehner, dismissed Mr. Paulson because we had to get to two things — <span style='font-size: 23pt'><span style="color: #990000">how to disrupt the Democrats from the subcommittee to the House floor,</span> and how to raise money for the next election.</span> </div></div>

The GOP plan is to bring the country to a halt and blame it on the Dems! They want to bring down the POTUS and to hell with the country.

They opposed the Stimulus Bill but that didn't stop them going around having their photo taken when they handed out the checks for money they opposed.

They opposed the HC Bill but they still claim credit for its good points.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><u>Boehner takes credit for ideas in health law, then calls for its repeal.</u>

Earlier this year, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) took credit for parts of the health care law he opposes and today, during an interview with NPR, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) also highlighted the Republican ideas in the bill, while promising to repeal it:

INSKEEP: As you know, Democrats are already pointing to things that are changing in America because of this bill. They will point to the fact that college seniors, who would have been kicked off their families’ insurance plans when they graduated, will get to stay on. Insurance companies are now saying they’re going to end the practice of “rescission,” where they take, or at least modify…

BOEHNER: <span style='font-size: 20pt'>Both of those ideas, by the way, came from Republicans,</span> and are part of the common sense ideas that we ought to have in the law.

INSKEEP: Well, are you going to repeal those two specific things?

BOEHNER Uh, what I want to repeal are the other 158 mandates, commissions, boards that set up all the infrastructure for the government to take control of our health care system </div></div>

I thought, and I'm sure, you guys said that the GOP was excluded from input into the HC Bill?

What this shows is that the present GOP are enemies of Democracy and they look down on the man in the street. Geez, the country is going down the tubes and their priorities are bring down the Pres and collect more cash to get elected?

Q

pooltchr
05-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Wrong again, Q. The post was how Reps are supposedly just out to stop the Dems without offering anything of substance. I think the fact that they came armed with the 2000 plus bill as evidence of just how out of control the Dems were on this one, and that nobody knew what they were actually voting on makes it pretty clear that the Dems are totally overboard. Somebody has to stop them.

Steve

LWW
05-03-2010, 12:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The GOP plan is to bring the country to a halt and blame it on the Dems! They want to bring down the POTUS and to hell with the country.

Q</div></div>

I wish they had the stones to actually do that.

The only time this nation has moved towards fiscal sanity in the last 20 years was when Gingrich shut down the gubmint and forced Clinton's hand.

The state's little secret was getting out then ... the country was running just fine with 90% of the non active duty military employees gone.

LWW

Gayle in MD
05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lets summarise.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Not one of you made any comment on the conduct of the GOP. You all just ignored the post.</span>

Sev's reply was,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "....but the Dems.......". </div></div>

LWW, as usual hinted at some "conspiracy...." ?

You came up with,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">his seems to be a common thread running through the left. There is no reason in their mind to actually read and understand something before </div></div>

Did you watch the video? I don't think you did.

Do you know what this means?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember one time Secretary Paulson came into a meeting to give us a heads up about potential economic calamity and we listened to him for 15 minutes and the Minority Leader, John Boehner, dismissed Mr. Paulson because we had to get to two things — <span style='font-size: 23pt'><span style="color: #990000">how to disrupt the Democrats from the subcommittee to the House floor,</span> and how to raise money for the next election.</span> </div></div>

The GOP plan is to bring the country to a halt and blame it on the Dems! They want to bring down the POTUS and to hell with the country.

They opposed the Stimulus Bill but that didn't stop them going around having their photo taken when they handed out the checks for money they opposed.

They opposed the HC Bill but they still claim credit for its good points.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><u>Boehner takes credit for ideas in health law, then calls for its repeal.</u>

Earlier this year, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) took credit for parts of the health care law he opposes and today, during an interview with NPR, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) also highlighted the Republican ideas in the bill, while promising to repeal it:

INSKEEP: As you know, Democrats are already pointing to things that are changing in America because of this bill. They will point to the fact that college seniors, who would have been kicked off their families’ insurance plans when they graduated, will get to stay on. Insurance companies are now saying they’re going to end the practice of “rescission,” where they take, or at least modify…

BOEHNER: <span style='font-size: 20pt'>Both of those ideas, by the way, came from Republicans,</span> and are part of the common sense ideas that we ought to have in the law.

INSKEEP: Well, are you going to repeal those two specific things?

BOEHNER Uh, what I want to repeal are the other 158 mandates, commissions, boards that set up all the infrastructure for the government to take control of our health care system </div></div>

I thought, and I'm sure, you guys said that the GOP was excluded from input into the HC Bill?

What this shows is that the present GOP are enemies of Democracy and they look down on the man in the street. Geez, the country is going down the tubes and their priorities are bring down the Pres and collect more cash to get elected?

Q

</div></div>

Very true. Didn't they say that within weeks of losing the election? All they want is for this president to fail, that's all. they don't care if it is one of the most dangerous times in our history. They don't care if Bush defunded the SEC. They didn't care when he defunded the 9/11 investigation. They didn't have much of anyting to say when he lied them into invading Iraq, in fact, they defended it.

They never complained about Bush's Ownership Society, you know the one about which those charged with oversight of the financial community on Wall Street stated they didn't do due diligence, because it would have been against the President's policies...the right didn't care about that, either.

When Republicans sat down at the table with President Obama, what I heard over and over again was...."START OVER"

They whined about how long the bill was, which was a testiment to what I've always said about Republicans, they don't read! For the love of Pete, they had months upon months to read the bill, and there they were at the eleventh hour, still complaining about how many pages it was! We're still waiting to see Cheney's secret energy policy!

I worked on the Hill, all the bills are long. Just more Republican hubris.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

LWW
05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All they want is for this president to fail, that's all. </div></div>
I want him to fail, because his agenda is the destruction of America.

A relevant question would be why would you wish him to succeed?

LWW