PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Olivo, the new baddest man in sports!

sack316
05-02-2010, 12:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...In the eighth inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Monday, a stone became ready for passage. So, Olivo scooted into the bathroom adjacent to the Rockies dugout at Coors Field and ... went to work eliminating the painful object from his bladder. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The amazing part is what he did a few minutes later: He strapped on his catching gear and returned to his crouch behind home plate.

"Believe me, it's not fun," Olivo said. "Sometimes, when I've got that thing, I just want to die. But I can handle pain a little bit. Once it's gone, I'm normal, I'm good. Let's play baseball."

....Adding to his legend in the ninth inning, Olivo hit a single. In Thomas Harding's story on MLB.com, Olivo said he passed another stone on Tuesday then got a hit in his fifth straight game.
</div></div>

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_lea...?urn=mlb,237573 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Rockies-catcher-Miguel-Olivo-passes-kidney-ston?urn=mlb,237573)

I once opted out of having my knee looked at in the middle of the season in order to play through. After the season, it was found my kneecap had been broken, and the missing piece was nowhere to be found now. But THIS Mr. Olivo, is as badass as anything I've ever heard of. Kudos you tough SOB.

Sack

LWW
05-02-2010, 02:32 PM
That's certainly tough, but my vote goes to Mick Foley:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Six concussions (1986 to 1998)

One broken jaw (1986)

Two broken noses (1993)

One broken cheekbone (1998)

Lost four front teeth (1989 to 1998)

Two-thirds of his ear ripped off (1993)

A separated shoulder (1990)

A fractured left shoulder (1989)

A dislocated shoulder (1998)

Second degree burn on his shoulder (1995)

Second degree burns on his arm (1995)

54 stitches on his left arm (1995)

A broken right wrist (1989)

Bone chips in his right elbow (1996)

Six broken ribs (1991 to 1998)

A torn abdominal (1992)

A torn ACL

A broken toe (1991)

A total of over 300 stitches in his arms, head, eyebrows, hands, ears, shin, cheek and lip

Thousands of thumb tack holes </div></div>

LWW

sack316
05-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Oh yes, longtime Foley fan! And even a good writer if you've never read his books. Foley is tough as they come... and still doing it!

If you've never been around the business, those wrestlers work through some incredible injuries.

Sack

LWW
05-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I've read a couple of his books ... and he gives an interesting insight into the business.

I especially liked the part about where Lloyd's of London began recruting these guys about 15 years ago for disability contracts at the same rates they gave movie actors.

LWW

sack316
05-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I remember some of his really old stuff... some very nasty things pre-WWE(F) with Terry Funk. But perhaps most memorable was with WWE(F) in that hell in a cell with Undertaker. I always knew how tough he was... but that was the moment I realized he simply couldn't be human!

Sack

LWW
05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I can't remember if it was in his books or an interview, but he claimed the most hardcore wrestler was actually Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

I was a little shocked at first until I read his explanation ... Mick Foley did the psycho moves only because it was the only job he could get that paid 7 figures. Vincent Kennedy McMahon did it because he liked doing it.

LWW

sack316
05-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, VKM doesn't mind getting into his work... amazing considering he could just sit in a board room all day and still make the same $$$. But involving himself as the boss everyone hates, namely his feud with Stone Cold, was pure genius.

Same goes for his son Shane... who could just have been a trust fund baby, or waited patiently for Daddy to pass on the family business to him. But nope, over the years I've seen him thrown through I don't know how many plate glass windows!

Back to Foley, if you can try to look up some of his stuff from his work in Japan years ago. INSANE!

Sack