PDA

View Full Version : current cue

hondo
05-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I tend to change my playing cue from time to time.
Currently I feel comfortable with a Josey Fancy Sneaky Pete.

What's your current cue?

L_Vigus
05-03-2010, 07:03 PM
My current cue is a 61" Vigus.

Larry

hondo
05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Hmmm. Pictures?

L_Vigus
05-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Top one in this photo is my last player. The bottom one is my current player. It's funny how my taste have changed in the last 11 months since I started making my own cues. Before I thought a good hitting cue needed a wrap and a S.S. joint. Now I perfer a wrapless and wood to wood joint.

http://www.thefroginator.co.uk/fm-pix/albums/userpics/playing%20cues%20001.JPG

Here is the fanciest I have made

http://www.thefroginator.co.uk/fm-pix/albums/userpics/Tulip%20Cue%20001.JPG

And the last one I have made

http://www.thefroginator.co.uk/fm-pix/albums/userpics/cue%20and%20cars%20002.JPG

Warning pic are large. Click on the photo to blow them up.

Thanks for asking,

Larry

dg-in-centralpa
05-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Hondo,
I use an old Predator for a break stick, Jacoby for my regular playing stick, and sometimes my Richard Black "Bushka", depends on my mood. I also have a nice Schon that I'll use once in a while.

DG

Rich R.
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I like to change playing cues too and I change almost every time I play. However, I change between three cues by Mike Capone. All three hit almost exactly the same and I can switch with no problem. I also bought a cue from Cory Barnhart at VF that I am working into the mix.

L_Vigus
05-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Guess I am a wierd one. Up till a year ago I played with the same TS cue since 1981. If I haden't wanted to try a longer cue, it would have probly been the last cue I ever bought. Well thinking about it. It still may be the last cue I buy.

Larry

Rich R.
05-04-2010, 04:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L_Vigus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Guess I am a wierd one. Up till a year ago I played with the same TS cue since 1981. If I haden't wanted to try a longer cue, it would have probly been the last cue I ever bought. Well thinking about it. It still may be the last cue I buy.

Larry </div></div>
At least you had one of the best to pattern your cues after. I also have a TS cue that I pull out once in a while.

hondo
05-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Nice cues, sir. I like.

hondo
05-04-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm like you. Depends on my mood. And my stroke.

hondo
05-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I have an unwrapped one of one Scruggs that I really like.
Also a TS SP.

Fran Crimi
05-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Just got a new Predator P3. Fits me like a glove.

hondo
05-06-2010, 07:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got a new Predator P3. Fits me like a glove. </div></div>

Just curious. What wt. are you comfortable with?

And does that change with different games ( one pocket, 9 ball, etc) ?

pooltchr
05-06-2010, 07:23 AM
The cue you use has to be comfortable for you. The balls don't change regardless of which game you are playing, so if it's the right cue for 9 ball, it will be the right cue for one pocket. It all comes down to how YOU move your arm. The cue is just an extension of your body. Factors such as what tip you use, and what kind of joint it has will make it feel different, but it doesn't change from game to game.

Get a cue that feels good to you and stick with it. Focus on what you do with the cue, not the cue itself.

Steve

1Time
05-06-2010, 08:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cue you use has to be comfortable for you.</div></div>No, the cue does not have to be comfortable. It's not a lounge chair. Far more important for players wanting to shoot better is whether the player actually shoots better with a particular cue than other cues. You try different cues / equipment and use what works best for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The balls don't change regardless of which game you are playing, so if it's the right cue for 9 ball, it will be the right cue for one pocket.</div></div> Wrong. Your generalization simply does not apply to all players. Some can and do benefit from using different shafts / cues in different games, for different shots, with different balls, or on different tables.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all comes down to how YOU move your arm. The cue is just an extension of your body. Factors such as what tip you use, and what kind of joint it has will make it feel different, but it doesn't change from game to game.</div></div>Wrong again. How well one plays does not all come down to how you move your arm. The equipment matters, and there's much more to shooting well than arm movement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a cue that feels good to you and stick with it. Focus on what you do with the cue, not the cue itself.</div></div>And dead wrong.

Players wanting to shoot better should not:
1. choose a cue because it feels good to you,
2. stick with a cue because it feels good to you,
3. focus on what you do with the cue to the exclusion of the selection and maintenance of the cue itself.

And, players wanting to shoot better should:
1. choose a cue because you shoot better with it than other cues,
2. change cues / equipment when doing so results in shooting better pool,
3. focus on cue / equipment selection and maintenance along with what you are doing with the cue.

pooltchr
05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Thank you, Mr. Murphy.
I'm glad you were able to set me straight.

Steve

hondo
05-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Good Lord, Steve, I really want to agree with you and not the non-instructer, but since I'm only 61 and have only been playing
for 45 years I tend to agree with the other guy.
I like a slightly heavier stick for 8 & 9 ball than I do 1 hole.

If I've been inactive and have trouble finding my stroke,
I like a stiffer cue for a while.

Perhaps one day I will realize you are right. Perhaps not.
I would be curious to hear Scott and Fran's take on your comments.

Fran Crimi
05-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I like 19 1/2. Same for breaking. It doesn't change for different games for me. What about you?

Fran Crimi
05-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Hondo,

I'm not all that big on switching cues and shafts and different weights for different games. I would probably consider using different equipment for carom and snooker, but not different pool games. For me, everytime I play with a different shaft or a cue with a different weight, there's a period of adjustment, even if the equipment is my own. If I'm competing, I don't always have the luxury to adjust. I'd rather deal with the shaft deflection I'm used to as well as the weight and balance points.

I happen to know that I'm a super-sensitive player. Maybe others don't feel it as much as I do.

Fran

hondo
05-06-2010, 01:59 PM
19.2 for one hole.
19.8 for 8 ball.

hondo
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for responding.
I think part of my problem is that I have too many cues anymore. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Deeman3
05-06-2010, 02:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cue you use has to be comfortable for you.</div></div>No, the cue does not have to be comfortable. It's not a lounge chair. Far more important for players wanting to shoot better is whether the player actually shoots better with a particular cue than other cues. You try different cues / equipment and use what works best for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The balls don't change regardless of which game you are playing, so if it's the right cue for 9 ball, it will be the right cue for one pocket.</div></div> Wrong. Your generalization simply does not apply to all players. Some can and do benefit from using different shafts / cues in different games, for different shots, with different balls, or on different tables.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all comes down to how YOU move your arm. The cue is just an extension of your body. Factors such as what tip you use, and what kind of joint it has will make it feel different, but it doesn't change from game to game.</div></div>Wrong again. How well one plays does not all come down to how you move your arm. The equipment matters, and there's much more to shooting well than arm movement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a cue that feels good to you and stick with it. Focus on what you do with the cue, not the cue itself.</div></div>And dead wrong.

Players wanting to shoot better should not:
1. choose a cue because it feels good to you,
2. stick with a cue because it feels good to you,
3. focus on what you do with the cue to the exclusion of the selection and maintenance of the cue itself.

And, players wanting to shoot better should:
1. choose a cue because you shoot better with it than other cues,
2. change cues / equipment when doing so results in shooting better pool,
3. focus on cue / equipment selection and maintenance along with what you are doing with the cue. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">So that's what is wromg with my game for the last few years? And I thought it was age, ability and too much sex.

I am going out tomorrow and buying an extreamly uncomfortable cue that will pocket balls. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

hondo
05-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Too much sex has definitely hurt my game over the years.

Steve, how can I get past this?

Sid_Vicious
05-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Yea right! Best pool I ever played was after a long romps with a super special ladies, opponents would say, "Damn Martin, did you just get laid or what!" Now if you are just talking about sex, nothing special kind of sex...yes, it pollutes down the soul, along with the game, ain't the same at all. It's not a bad way to have to lose though ;-) sid

Forgot to respond to the cue change question. Obvious times like going to bars, I change to a sneaky or a Coca Cola stick with the screw on tip. If, and it's rare, I play snooker, I choose a cue I have with a 11.75 shaft. Lastly though, some days I just get a whim for any old cue I have around my house. I got over the endless circle of switching off to another cue to get out of a slump a long time ago, but not before I bought way too many "band aid cues." sv

pooltchr
05-06-2010, 02:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too much sex has definitely hurt my game over the years.

Steve, how can I get past this? </div></div>

Can't help you there, friend. I've never had that particular problem!
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Steve

L_Vigus
05-06-2010, 06:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too much sex has definitely hurt my game over the years.

I sure wish I could use that excuse. I wear glasses for a reason!

Larry

pooltchr
05-06-2010, 06:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L_Vigus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too much sex has definitely hurt my game over the years.

Larry </div></div>

That's ok...just don't use your bridge hand!!!!!!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve

hondo
05-06-2010, 08:20 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hondo
05-06-2010, 08:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L_Vigus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too much sex has definitely hurt my game over the years.

Larry </div></div>

Well, don't be like me and make a spectacle of yourself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

cushioncrawler
05-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Friday, 4pm, madSherie walks in with a package. Its my 4 new cues from the usofa.
Four new 13mm sneaky petes. 18oz 19oz 20oz and 21 oz. Cost me US$20 eech.
I had a quick hit and they were ok, but the tips were too soft, and i think will be better for me when harder.
I allmost took one to uze for my snooker match, but i rezisted the urge. I uzed my 10mm snooker cue, and won 3/0.

I really like the 21oz. I think i can sell the other 3 locally.
My problem iz that i hav chalked the tips and hit one or two balls with eech. Shood i still ask for $20 ???????
madMac.

hondo
05-08-2010, 04:53 AM
Absolutely! You had to do a quality check.

1Time
05-13-2010, 03:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So that's what is wromg with my game for the last few years? And I thought it was age, ability and too much sex.

I am going out tomorrow and buying an extreamly uncomfortable cue that will pocket balls. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
Correct, the equipment matters. You will shoot better with some equipment than others.

cushioncrawler
05-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I uzed my new 18oz 13mm Eliminator sneaky pete last nite and won my snooker 3/0. My team-mates had a good laugh. I sayd my next one would be 14mm.

I uzed it koz i managed to do a good job on the tip. It iz a dark tan, chocolate aktually, single layer, water buffalo??. Too soft when new. But i found the trick of beating it all over very lightly and gradually with a bit of chalked metal plate.
The main trick woz that i placed the cue (the ferrule aktually) against the top of some bookshelves. With the bookshelf akting az a backstop, i found that i kood beat the qtip at 45dg without the beater slipping off the tip. This kompakted the edge of the tip very nicely, and rounded it nicely. Otherwize u tend to hav the tip mushrooming out, and needing trimming, unless u like to keep the mushrooming.

So, with a nice hardish (but still a bit too soft at this stage) rounded tip, i woz getting skrew etc just az well az i kood with my 10mm snooker cue. I dont know whether the rounding iz a nickel or a dime -- its not quite az rounded az my biggest fingertip.

I started uzing a longer bridge (for some shots) koz i found that i kood apply backhand pivot without needing to reaim. It haz a giant squirt kompared to my 10mm, but i kan handle that i think.

Now all i havtado iz skrew off the rubber bumper, and skrew on about 5oz of lead, so that it haz the same wt and balance az my 10mm cue. I hope to uze it for english billiards next season. Partly koz i plan to uze a playing strategy that shood suite this sort of cue. More specifically, i love the way it hits nice kontrolled soft stun. In fakt u tend to get a bit of stun with every shot, if u aint carefull.
madMac.

hondo
05-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Give em hell, CC. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

cushioncrawler
05-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Today i skrewed off the rubber bumper (this iz 0.6oz). And i flattened out 3 round fishing sinkers and then araldited them together, and then drilled throo them, and then skrewed them on the butt, with the same skrew. Added about 4 oz i think, making the cue wt say 22.5oz. Feels good.

One thing about that white new maple shaft. U tend to see 2 shafts every time u get down on the shot.
Whats the best way to stain a white shaft to get rid of that ugly whiteness.
madMac.

Qtec
05-14-2010, 07:14 AM
I only have one snooker cue. Its a Gold Medal Barracuda. I bought it 25 years ago.
My pool cue is a Meucci 95 with a Red Dot shaft. I bought it on ebay 11 years ago and <u>learned to play with it.</u>

My point is that the cue always <u>does the same thing.</u> If you are missing balls etc its not the fault of the cue and changing cues will not solve the problem is causing you to play so bad that you want to change cues.

By all means try other cues but once you know what you want and buy that cue, stick with it, learn to play WITH it. In 5 years you will know exactly what that cue does on any shot.

Qtec

cushioncrawler
05-14-2010, 06:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...My point is that the cue always <u>does the same thing.</u> If you are missing balls etc its not the fault of the cue and changing cues will not solve the problem is causing you to play so bad that you want to change cues.....</div></div>Q -- But if u are not missing balls then that might be the fault of the cue.
That 13mm pool cue that i hav been uzing this week -- it dumbs-down my aktion. The squirt iz so big that once i hav aimed ok for the shot if i stroke bad i often still get the shot.
But this thread iz wrongish. The tip iz more important than the cue.
madMac.

LWW
05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cue you use has to be comfortable for you. The balls don't change regardless of which game you are playing, so if it's the right cue for 9 ball, it will be the right cue for one pocket. It all comes down to how YOU move your arm. The cue is just an extension of your body. Factors such as what tip you use, and what kind of joint it has will make it feel different, but it doesn't change from game to game.

Get a cue that feels good to you and stick with it. Focus on what you do with the cue, not the cue itself.

Steve </div></div>

I agree with all of that.

I play with a Predator SS jointed sneaky with a Talisman medium tip. It weighs in, according to the kitchen scales, at 18.6 ounces.

My break cue is an old Viper with a Picone White Diamond tip. It weighs in an 18.5 ounces on the same scale.

A light cue works for me because my greatest sin is still hitting many shots harder than I need. The lighter stick, for whatever reason, slows me down some.

LWW

LWW
05-21-2010, 03:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friday, 4pm, madSherie walks in with a package. Its my 4 new cues from the usofa.
Four new 13mm sneaky petes. 18oz 19oz 20oz and 21 oz. Cost me US$20 eech.
I had a quick hit and they were ok, but the tips were too soft, and i think will be better for me when harder.
I allmost took one to uze for my snooker match, but i rezisted the urge. I uzed my 10mm snooker cue, and won 3/0.

I really like the 21oz. I think i can sell the other 3 locally.
My problem iz that i hav chalked the tips and hit one or two balls with eech. Shood i still ask for $20 ???????
madMac. </div></div>

Why not?

Who did you order these from if you don't mind me asking?

I bought a set of 4 SP's like that off e-bay for when folks come over and shoot ... and they actually play pretty well.

LWW

wolfdancer
05-23-2010, 03:43 PM
My current cues were made by two old master craftsmen ...."House" and "Sneaky Pete"
I really play with an OB1...."tastes great and it's less filling"...not the cue, my beer of choice, while playing....it seemed to help the Miz....and after only a half dozen or so...I seem to be playing better, but somehow my opponent's game has also picked up even more....some kind of symbiotic relationship, maybe.
In the end, the cue is only as good as what's on the end of it...
you can not only break, but drive nails with a Sumo tip.... it don't speak no "english" though. I like Talisman, esp now that they seem to have the delam problem solved
Mooris are also great, but I have a cap on my Amex card.

cushioncrawler
05-23-2010, 08:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friday, 4pm, madSherie walks in with a package. Its my 4 new cues from the usofa. Four new 13mm sneaky petes. 18oz 19oz 20oz and 21 oz. Cost me US$20 eech. I had a quick hit and they were ok, but the tips were too soft, and i think will be better for me when harder. I allmost took one to uze for my snooker match, but i rezisted the urge. I uzed my 10mm snooker cue, and won 3/0. I really like the 21oz. I think i can sell the other 3 locally. My problem iz that i hav chalked the tips and hit one or two balls with eech. Shood i still ask for $20 ???????</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not? Who did you order these from if you don't mind me asking? I bought a set of 4 SP's like that off e-bay for when folks come over and shoot ... and they actually play pretty well. LWW</div></div>I gottem from Master Z's Dart and Pool Supply 1005 Spring City Drive WI. $20 each -- on ebay. Plus i got some spare tips of different hardnesses. Triumph. Blue. Triangle. Water Buffalo. Kamui. Aramith. Moori. Tips cost more than the cues.
The Eliminator cues are very good. Pity that all of the shafts dont fit perfiktly on all of the butts else i kood mix'n'match all of them.
But the maple iz a bit too white i think -- i might stain some linseed oil and darken them up a bit.
madMac.

wolfdancer
05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Great post !!!!

JoeW
05-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Anyone ever try to grind a pro taper on a Dufferin cue? I am thinking about doing this becasue the Dufferin is a great one piece cue and might even play better than my custom cue if it had a pro taper.

The cue is cheap enough that I could just store it at the hall and use for everyday use.

Deeman3
05-24-2010, 03:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great post !!!! </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1Time
05-25-2010, 01:47 AM
JoeW,

My first 2 piece cue was an 18 oz Dufferin with a pro taper. I sanded the taper that way by hand. Worked best for me on bar tables. Great cue. Made me money. And then I eventually sold it for twice what I paid for it.

I recall shooting a money match in the 80's with a McDermott that was helping me lose. So I switch to a house cue and immediately turned the match around and won. The equipment matters. I suggest using whatever works best for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever try to grind a pro taper on a Dufferin cue? I am thinking about doing this becasue the Dufferin is a great one piece cue and might even play better than my custom cue if it had a pro taper.

The cue is cheap enough that I could just store it at the hall and use for everyday use.
</div></div>

L_Vigus
05-25-2010, 06:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever try to grind a pro taper on a Dufferin cue? I am thinking about doing this becasue the Dufferin is a great one piece cue and might even play better than my custom cue if it had a pro taper.

</div></div>

I did a conversion on a Dufferin for my brother. All I did to the shaft originaly was remove the varnish so it would be smoother. That 20 year old, arrow straight dufferin then decided to warp on me. Lucky for me there was enough meat left that I was able to turn the warp out and still have a 12.6 mm shaft with a 12" pro taper. My brother is much happier with it and sofar it's still stright!

Larry

wolfdancer
05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Joe, the old guys (now I iz one)when I first began playing, used to say that the one piece Dufferin, with a good tip, hit as good, or better, then any 2 piece cue on the market.
In my first poolroom, a legendary one....for many of the regulars, we would set aside the house cue that they played with for them. I had one myself that I really liked.....but a broke player "made me an offer I couldn't refuse" on a Joss cue....and I've been hooked on name cues ever since.
I don't think anyone would grind one down for you....but a good lathe with a taper bar....they could meet your requirements.