PDA

View Full Version : Coulter's Own Church Won't Claim Her

Gayle in MD
05-07-2010, 10:13 AM
<span style="color: #000066">When Anne coulter stated, in reference to the 9/11 widows, that she'd never seen widows enjoying their husband's deaths so much, I wondered if so called "Christians" would finally stop their support for such a hateful individual. While some have, others have not. What a disgrace that any American would support, or admire someone who demonized and insulted the widows of our national tragedy.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ann Coulter Repulsive Remark Resource Center -- UPDATED
Frederick Clarkson print page
Sun Mar 04, 2007 at 02:42:31 AM EST

Acid-tongued Ann Coulter has smartly navigated the conservative movement for years, even positioning herself within the Religious right. But her now notorious repulsive remark about John Edwards has become quite a to do, promising to be something of a Rorschach Test of political life -- for at least a few news cycles. As far as I can tell, the religious right is maintaining a remarkable silence on the matter.
In the spirit of staying on the zeitgeist, here is a Coulter's Repulsive Remark Resource Center for those who want to keep up with the potential downfall of a major figure (or at least observe a turning point in the culture war.) I am updating this post as interesting items come my way.

Crooks & Liars has the original video of Coulter calling Edwards a "faggot."
MissLaura at Daily Kos has compiled the official reactions of GOP candidates for president(so far):

McCain: "Wildly inappropriate"
Guiliani: "completely inappropriate"
Romney: "offensive"

pioneer111 at Daily Kos has the reactions of John and Mrs. Edwards.

Glenn Greenwald had an incisive, early analysis contrasting the venomous real world rhetoric of a major public figure with the tempest in a teapot invective of anonymous blog commenters on the left.

Last year at the same event, she warned Arab "ragheads" about violence that would be done to them and called for Supreme Court justices to be murdered -- and received standing ovations. Everyone knows what a rancid hate-monger she is, yet (or rather: "therefore") she continues to be invited to the highest-level "conservative" events, be drooled on with admiration by presidential candidates like Mitt Romney, and have little right-wing warriors wait in line around the corner to get her signature on their copies of the books she wrote.
But that's all fine. There are much more important topics to discuss -- like the anonymous commenters at Huffington Post and the bad words said by the bloggers hired for low-level positions by the Edwards campaign. Those are matters of the gravest importance meriting the most solemn condemnation and righteous outrage from all decent people.

Digby has a typically astute analysis that includes this fond reminiscence of Coulterisms of yore:

I recall how my stomach turned when when I read what Coulter had to say at CPAC last year: On Democrats: "Someday they will find a way to abort all future Boy Scouts." College professors: "sissified, pussified." Harvard: "the Soviet Union." John Kerry: the other "dominant woman in Democratic politics." Her post-9/11 motto: "Rag head talks tough, rag head faces consequences." For good measure, she threw in a joke about having Muslims burn down the Supreme Court -- with the liberal justices inside.
Then came questions. A young woman asked Coulter to describe the most difficult ethical decision she ever made. "There was one time I had a shot at Bill Clinton," Coulter said.

Ann Coulter claims to be a Christian, of the Religious right sort. But Pastordan at Street Prophets questions whether she is really the "good Christian" she claims to be.

Coulter likes to think of herself as a "good Christian". Based on her inability to give a coherent account of her faith and her consistent engagement in eliminationist rhetoric, though, I think it's time to state the obvious: she is not, if she ever was...
We are all children of God, all heirs to the promise of Christ. Anyone who would place a entire group of persons beyond that all-inclusive promise of redemption is not a Christian. Anyone who would endorse hate of such a group is not a Christian. Anyone who would play on hate and violence with a smirk for the sake of cheap laughs and fleeting political points is not a Christian - and should look for her common decency in the rear-view mirror. For the sacrifice of Christ on the cross was once and for all, and the confession of Christians is that He is Lord of All and generous to all who call on him &lt;http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=39894051&gt;. Last I checked, there was no exception written into that statement for "faggots".

Ann Coulter is not funny. Ann Coulter is not a Christian. Ann Coulter is hanging on to her quickly-withering humanity by her fingertips. It is long past time for politicians, the media, Christian leaders, - anyone with even a scrap of self-respect - to reject her easily-given hatred and her glib verbal violence and finally lock her out of public discourse. She has no place in it, and it's far past time for our leaders to say so.

Lydia Cornell writes:

Just a few hours ago, my friend Dan Borchers -- a conservative Christian who is writing a book about Ann Coulter's "extermination speak" -- was bodily wrestled out of CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) by four of Ann Coulter's bodyguards.
Pastordan continues in a further posting:

Once again, Coulter is not a Christian. She (or her goons) don't even like real Christians So why should be allowed to represent us in the mainstream media? For that matter, why should Christians allow her to undermine any notion of civility, let alone Christian love, in the media? We say all the time that we're concerned about the message the media is sending our children.... If an effort to push hate out of the mainstream is correctly organized, and targeted at specific repeat offenders, it could be very successful. There's no reason to put up with this crap.
I have reported that the conservative Presbyterian Church of which she claims to be a member, does not claim her.

Where is the religious right, when a high-profile bigotted, foul-mouth who claims to be one of them -- lies about her church membership?
Bill Berkowitz recently reported that she manages to appear as an expert in a documentary film "Darwin's Deadly Legacy," produced by televangelist D. James Kennedy (a leader in the rightist Presbyterian sect in which Coulter falsely claims membership).

Darwin's deadly legacy? The Holocaust! According to Coulter, Hitler took Darwinism and applied it: "He thought the Aryans were the fittest and he was just hurrying natural selection along."
Google News search (Ann Coulter, faggot) has hundreds of news stories.

Media Matters for America is keeping on top of the media distortions of the flap.

Update [2007-3-4 11:52:8 by Frederick Clarkson]: VolvoDrivingLiberal at Daily Kos has a list of advertisers on Coulter's web site, anncoulter.com, and is encouraging people to contact them. And boy are they ever!

Update [2007-3-4 16:30:16 by Frederick Clarkson]: Conservatives are chiming in: the Evangelical Outpost finds the Coulter episode putrid and writes:

Conservatism deserves better, deserves more civility and less Coulter. The fact that she is tolerated--much less admired--by conservatives is evidence that we have lost our philosophical moorings. If the Big Tent of conservatism really has room for the likes of Coulter, then it might just be time to close this circus down. Other conservatives on Coulter: Mary Katharine Ham: "You shouldn't have to go to psych eval for using it, but it's a nasty word. Just don't." Dean Barnett: "Itís not a lack of intelligence. Itís an indifference to self-control and a preening sort of narcissism that compels her to need the spotlight, even if itís unflattering." Rod Dreher: "How, exactly, do we conservatives protest against the kind of bigoted garbage that Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan were upchucking against Catholics and other Christians if we accept Coulter's offensive shtick?" Hugh Hewitt: "When Coulter employed the f-word to abuse a candidate, she made herself radioactive because the word is a simply invitation to hate. It was repulsive." Bryan Preston: "Iím no fan of John Edwards, but thatís just a stupid joke. Itís over the line. The laughter it generated across the room was more than a little annoying."

</div></div>http://www.talk2action.org/story/2007/3/4/24231/57573

Deeman3
05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
John Edwards does not deserve that sort of treatment. Any man who has sttod by his wife through all her illnesses and shown the true character of a man should not be subject to such ridicule from Ms. Coulter. What will we have next, comments by her about Tiger Woods? This has to stop.

pooltchr
05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-07-2010, 11:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John Edwards does not deserve that sort of treatment. Any man who has sttod by his wife through all her illnesses and shown the true character of a man should not be subject to such ridicule from Ms. Coulter. What will we have next, comments by her about Tiger Woods? This has to stop. </div></div>

I believe she made the comment before the Edwards story broke. Nevertheless, that surely doesn't excuse her nasty comments about 9/11 widows, IMO.

G.

Sid_Vicious
05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John Edwards does not deserve that sort of treatment. Any man who has sttod by his wife through all her illnesses and shown the true character of a man should not be subject to such ridicule from Ms. Coulter. What will we have next, comments by her about Tiger Woods? This has to stop. </div></div>

I believe she made the comment before the Edwards story broke. Nevertheless, that surely doesn't excuse her nasty comments about 9/11 widows, IMO.

G. </div></div>

No it does not. To dodge the question and point at another person is cheap at best, and not being honest with your own self integrity. Anyone can certainly do that, but it makes them as putrid as Coulter herself IMO. sid

pooltchr
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To dodge the question and point at another person is cheap at best, and not being honest with your own self integrity. Anyone can certainly do that, but it makes them as putrid as Coulter herself IMO. sid </div></div>

Does that mean we should never hear the "But Bush" argument on this forum in the future???

Steve

wolfdancer
05-07-2010, 12:44 PM
A vitriolic as Ann is, imagine how much more anger she could project....if only she had a set of balls. Look how far GWB got...which reminds me of a very old joke:
"Balls!!, cried the Queen; if I had two, I'd be King"
"Ha" laughed the King, not because he wanted to, but because he had two.

sack316
05-07-2010, 12:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....if only she had a set of balls.</div></div>

Whaddya mean "if"? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

Deeman3
05-07-2010, 12:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious[/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No it does not. To dodge the question and point at another person is cheap at best, and not being honest with your own self integrity. Anyone can certainly do that, but it makes them as putrid as Coulter herself IMO. sid </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Sid,

It is, indeed, difficult to live up to the level of discourse great guys like you your self have established over the years for the rest of us.

If she was supporting a position you took, she would be witty, charming and engaging and if she ever occasionally said something crude, she would be only making a parody comparison. No outrage from the left when one of your own was very disappointd that is was a Muslim who attempted (although lamely) to bomb NYC the other day? Only acceptance when Letterman said vile things about Palin's youngest daughter, others called Bush Hitler and called for "Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him" and never uttered a single objection as many of us did when similar things were said about yorr saviour, Obama. Face it. You have very selective outrage and always have. If used the same smug criteria on her as you do your own, you would simply ignore her and not try to make an example of everything she says.

I may be "putrid" to you. That is your choice to make calls like that. If so, I can only hope I live up to those sort of expectations more often if that is the case. </span>

wolfdancer
05-07-2010, 12:49 PM
As a liberal, I'm not privy to that sort of info, but I will take your word for it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
05-08-2010, 10:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A vitriolic as Ann is, imagine how much more anger she could project....if only she had a set of balls. Look how far GWB got...which reminds me of a very old joke:
"Balls!!, cried the Queen; if I had two, I'd be King"
"Ha" laughed the King, not because he wanted to, but because he had two. </div></div> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Gayle in MD
05-08-2010, 11:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div></div>

No it does not. To dodge the question and point at another person is cheap at best, and not being honest with your own self integrity. Anyone can certainly do that, but it makes them as putrid as Coulter herself IMO. sid [/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #FF0000">Sid,

It is, indeed, difficult to live up to the level of discourse great guys like you your self have established over the years for the rest of us.

If she was supporting a position you took, she would be witty, charming and engaging and if she ever occasionally said something crude, she would be only making a parody comparison. No outrage from the left when one of your own was very disappointd that is was a Muslim who attempted (although lamely) to bomb NYC the other day? Only acceptance when Letterman said vile things about Palin's youngest daughter, others called Bush Hitler and called for "Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him" and never uttered a single objection as many of us did when similar things were said about yorr saviour, Obama. Face it. You have very selective outrage and always have. If used the same smug criteria on her as you do your own, you would simply ignore her and not try to make an example of everything she says.

I may be "putrid" to you. That is your choice to make calls like that. If so, I can only hope I live up to those sort of expectations more often if that is the case. </span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only acceptance when Letterman said vile things about Palin's youngest daughter, others called Bush Hitler and called for "Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him" and never uttered a single objection as many of us did when similar things were said about yorr saviour, Obama. </div></div>

Ha ha ha...that's funny, Deeman. Letterman was attacked for what he said, and apologized for it, also.

"Where is Lee Harvey..." that was a joke.

You can't coompare the kind of vile things that coulter says about people, to jokes. She's not joking. He vile attacks on the 9/11 widows should cause all Americans to speak against her, IMO.

Also, Palin is the one who marched her pregnant unmarried daughter up on the stage, and used her family for political events, including dragging that poor baby around like a sack of potatos all hours of the day and night, and exiting those steep steps, with his face first, in stelleto heels, head hanging over her arm, and waving to the cameras.

I remember holding my breath while I watched that!

If someone in politics uses their family and children for political purposes, then she should have known that she was herself putting them right smack in the center of the attacks that would surely follow.

I don't care who called on me, there is no way in the world that I would behave the way she did while her daughter was in the midst of such a life changing event as being pregnant, and unmarried, at seventeen, nor drag a baby who is already prone to picking up everything, all over the countryside, to use as a political prop!

That was repulsive to me, and I can tell you, it was repulsive to even my Republican friends.

G.

Qtec
05-08-2010, 01:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John Edwards does not deserve that sort of treatment. Any man who has sttod by his wife through all her illnesses and shown the true character of a man should not be subject to such ridicule from Ms. Coulter. What will we have next, comments by her about Tiger Woods? This has to stop. </div></div>

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB3X4iz8jTU)

She called him a faggot.

Now that she has been <span style='font-size: 14pt'>proved to be 100% wrong</span>, has she apologised?

Does she have any shame?

IMO A.C is a repressed lesbian who has still to come out of the closet.

Q

Stretch
05-08-2010, 05:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John Edwards does not deserve that sort of treatment. Any man who has sttod by his wife through all her illnesses and shown the true character of a man should not be subject to such ridicule from Ms. Coulter. What will we have next, comments by her about Tiger Woods? This has to stop. </div></div>

She called him a faggot.

Now that she has been <span style='font-size: 14pt'>proved to be 100% wrong</span>, has she apologised?

Does she have any shame?

Q </div></div>

That's her next book.......St.

Gayle in MD
05-11-2010, 10:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....if only she had a set of balls.</div></div>

Whaddya mean "if"? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Good one....

Gayle in MD
05-11-2010, 10:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John Edwards does not deserve that sort of treatment. Any man who has sttod by his wife through all her illnesses and shown the true character of a man should not be subject to such ridicule from Ms. Coulter. What will we have next, comments by her about Tiger Woods? This has to stop. </div></div>

She called him a faggot.

Does she have any shame?

Q </div></div>

Exactly my take on her Q.

GMTA.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

pooltchr
05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Q </div></div>

GMTA.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

That wouldn't be wishful thinking on your part, would it??

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-11-2010, 10:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Q </div></div>

GMTA.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Do I wish that Anne Counter is gay? Why the hell would I give a damn? I can't stand her either way. Gay, straight, or bi, she's still repubsive.

G.
That wouldn't be wishful thinking on your part, would it??

Steve </div></div>