PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Scorekeeping Etiquette

Wally_in_Cincy
08-22-2002, 10:04 AM
OK all you straight pool players:

Is it customary for the racker to add up the score at the end of a rack or does each player add up his own?

I have played a couple guys recently who insisted on tallying the match score even when I was racking. I literally had to stand aside with the rack while they did this.

In our league usually a player totals his rack score at the end of an inning and the racker totals the match score at the end of a rack.

SpiderMan
08-22-2002, 10:30 AM
Wally,

I'm not in a league, but I play straight pool once or twice a week. We use the method you favor. Each player keeps his inning scores updated whenever he misses during the rack, then the racker updates the totals and zeroes out the partials.

SpiderMan

08-22-2002, 10:32 AM

Wally_in_Cincy
08-22-2002, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr>
Years ago the player shooting kept his score after he finished each rack etc. and the other played checked it out each time. We used the BEADS. Gosh, I wish they would come back into style!!! Moving the quarters around the table in 9 ball is so primative and using those little counters on the tables (if they even have any) is crude. What means are you using to tally (as a side question)? <hr></blockquote>

Counters on the tables.

Pizza Bob
08-22-2002, 11:07 AM
We still use the beads for scorekeeping. Each player keeps his own rack score, moving the beads over at the end of their inning. We segment the rack score from the cumulative score on the wire. In other words it would be - starting in the middle and working toward the ends - cumulative score, space, rack score, space, and then the unused beads. At the end of the rack the racker usually consolidates the individual rack score with the cumulative score. They do this after announcing the rack score and saying, "Moving them over." This is a signal to the other player that it is their last opportunity to check/correct the score for the rack. Just my $.02 worth.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

08-22-2002, 11:16 AM
not that hard for you to count to 5 is it wally??

Rod
08-22-2002, 11:21 AM
WW, I hung larger wooden beads, 10 on each side using a brass rod between the chains that held the light, at our room. That was of course for 9 ball. Several rooms do use beads, but you see more of the quarters.

08-22-2002, 11:36 AM

Rod
08-22-2002, 11:51 AM
These were 1" diameter, so not very loud. The old time counters to 100 sounded like dominos falling over per-say.

9 Ball Girl
08-22-2002, 12:04 PM
When I play, we tally the scores at the end of each rack. We keep score using the beads up above. When the beads are not available, we'll use the counter thingy on the table. The only problem with that is if the table's counter is loose, then every now and then when you pocket a ball, the counter thingy moves. Also, when the beads or the counter thingy are not available, I've seen the "abacus" thingy. It's supposed to be used for billiards but it's better than nothing. I've seen people use the dimes around the table for 9 ball eventhough every tally system is available.

Back to the tally. If you're playing with honest players, then you can tally your opponent's score and vice versa. That only works with honest players and it minimizes the cheating factor. If you knew some of the guys I know, when it comes to the tally, you're going to need a neutral referee! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rod
08-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Quote 9 Ball Girl, The only problem with that is if the table's counter is loose, then every now and then when you pocket a ball, the counter thingy moves.

Very true Wendy, on the other hand there are the table counters that are tight or frozen and you need strong fingers to move them. Probably from all the table wipe downs, soda, beer, french fries etc.lol

08-22-2002, 01:02 PM
Wally, 14.1 etiquette would dictate that the incoming player updates the current rack score at the end of his opponent's inning, and that player who has just finished his run may or may not choose to check and confirm the current rack's score for accuracy. At the end of a rack (when only one OB remains on the table) although the racker (the non-shooting player) should be the one responsible for updating the score, it seems often that (on a drop pocket table) after the shooter has retrieved the balls from the side pockets and two head corner pockets, while the opponent is still busy racking up the balls I see nothing wrong with the shooter then tallying up both the current rack score and the overall game score and setting the rack scores back to 0. If you trust each other to keep score, then I see little difference with who happens to do it.

The possible exception / problem with this would be that if by him/her taking the time to update the score they end up holding up the continuation of the game by not being ready to shoot his/her next shot when the rack is ready. In that case I would then (as the racker) politely inform him that in the interest of saving time that the racker will be the one responsible for tallying up the scores at the end of the rack - and the shooter will go about his/her business of preparing to play their shot.

It has been my experience that in reality, (particularly among 2 players that have played against each other before and trust each other) for simplicity one player seems to be entrusted with the responsibility of keeping the score at all times - and the other player may choose to simply check it from time to time to confirm it's accuracy.

Personally when I'm on a run, I don't like to be distracted from my focus on the break shot by tallying up the score. I generally leave it up to my opponent to do it, but I may catch a glimpse of it - particularly if I don't know or trust my opponent's ability to keep an accurate score. Of course, if it's a very close match nearing it's completion, I likely will be very interested in the score and may choose to stand by and observe while my opponent (before or after racking) updates the score.

If it is a league match against two players that are unfamiliar (and possibly even untrusting) of each other, perhaps it should be stated at the outset that it is always the incoming shooter's responsible to update the score, and the racker's responsibility to update it between racks. That way, there will be no confusion or conflicts.

Wally, my suggestion to you would be that if this really bothers you that your opponent updates the score while you're racking, I would make a point to tally up the score immediately after his/her final shot - before you start racking the balls and before your opponent has an opportunity to do it first. - Chris in NC

9 Ball Girl
08-22-2002, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I forgot about those tight ones. I broke a nail once trying to adjust a score. Ouch!

Rod
08-22-2002, 01:18 PM
Quote Spiderman, then the racker updates the totals and zeroes out the partials.

Just a guess, I have a feeling you've done a few updates. LOL Of course considering the competition I might spend some time at that end also. To bad you don't have beads, I'm sure you both might like that better.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-22-2002, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> Wally, 14.1 etiquette would dictate that the incoming player updates the current rack score at the end of his opponent's inning, and that player who has just finished his run may or may not choose to check and confirm the current rack's score for accuracy. <hr></blockquote>

It would seem that the incoming player would be planning his shot and not want to be distracted by tallying his opponent's score.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> At the end of a rack (when only one OB remains on the table) although the racker (the non-shooting player) should be the one responsible for updating the score, it seems often that (on a drop pocket table) after the shooter has retrieved the balls from the side pockets and two head corner pockets, while the opponent is still busy racking up the balls I see nothing wrong with the shooter then tallying up both the current rack score and the overall game score and setting the rack scores back to 0. If you trust each other to keep score, then I see little difference with who happens to do it<hr></blockquote>

The problem with that is that the counter wheels are at the foot rail. You'd have to have 2 people standing in the same spot /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr>

Personally when I'm on a run, I don't like to be distracted from my focus on the break shot by tallying up the score<hr></blockquote>

I agree. That's why I think the racker should always do it and the shooter should check it when necessary. Trust, but verify /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr>
Wally, my suggestion to you would be that if this really bothers you that your opponent updates the score while you're racking, I would make a point to tally up the score immediately after his/her final shot - before you start racking the balls and before your opponent has an opportunity to do it first. - Chris in NC <hr></blockquote>

Well it doesn't really bother me. LOL

I was just curious what the conventional method is.

Thanks for your response Chris.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-22-2002, 04:07 PM
Wally,

I never had an opponent interrupt me from racking to total the scores using the table counters. They are suppose to be getting the balls form the center and kitchen end pockets.

If I were to experience someone going to the counters prior to getting the balls for the next rack, I would remind that its difficult to rack when the balls are still in the pockets. In the case of ball returns, it is even more annoying, while you are trying to get balls on the table to rack, they are reaching over you and fiddling with the counters. I think I would have to drop some balls on the floor and maybe land on their feet.

HOWARD
08-22-2002, 04:52 PM
WALLY IN NATTI, I BELIEVE YOU HAVE IT CORRECT WITH YOUR LAST SENTENCE. IT IS MUCH EASIER WITH BEADS. ASLO MUCH EASIER IF YOU JUST TALLY 7 STRAIGHT RACKS PLUS 2 BALLS THEN ALL SCORING IS EASIER NO - HAHA - ONLY PLAYED ONE MAN THAT DID THAT TO ME AND MANY OTHER VERY CONSISTANTLY KEEP ON QUAFING YOUR SPIRITED BEVERAGES IN THE NATTI - HOWARD

08-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------
WALLY IN NATTI, I BELIEVE YOU HAVE IT CORRECT WITH YOUR LAST SENTENCE. IT IS MUCH EASIER WITH BEADS. ASLO MUCH EASIER IF YOU JUST TALLY 7 STRAIGHT RACKS PLUS 2 BALLS THEN ALL SCORING IS EASIER NO - HAHA - ONLY PLAYED ONE MAN THAT DID THAT TO ME AND MANY OTHER VERY CONSISTANTLY KEEP ON FING YOUR SPIRITED BEVERAGES IN THE NATTI - HOWARD
-------------------------------------------------------

Ha Ha Ha! Thank you for your good wishes. I will quaff a spiritous beverage in your honor tomorrow sir /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

08-22-2002, 09:12 PM
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------
Wally,

I never had an opponent interrupt me from racking to total the scores using the table counters.
They are suppose to be getting the balls form the center and kitchen end pockets.

If I were to experience someone going to the counters prior to getting the balls for the next rack, I would remind that its difficult to rack when the balls are still in the pockets. In the case of ball returns, it is even more annoying, while you are trying to get balls on the table to rack, they are reaching over you and fiddling with the counters. I think I would have to drop some balls on the floor and maybe land on their feet.
------------------------------------------------------------

Tom,

Chet Faul did that to me but that's cool cause I know how he is.

Marty Milligan did it to me Sunday. He's a real nice guy I guess maybe since we had never met before he figured I didn't know how to keep score. Who knows? /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

Off to St. Louis Saturday for IRL race and hopefully will check out Chesterfield Billiards. I've been teaching my buddy Jim in St. Louis how to draw the CB. His eyes bugged out the first time he did that /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. We've all been there haven't we?

later,

Now 4-0 in Cincinnati Straight Pool League (Schlep Division) LOL,

Wally in da Natty

08-22-2002, 09:33 PM
I agree 100% with your approach Wally. When I play each player scores his inning score, but the racker scores both total scores at the end of a rack.

It is a good practice as the racker to also announce the scores when doing this, something like "6 more gives you 45, I got 8 which gives me 66."

Interesting that this is one reason why the old style of using beads is in fact better than using scorers on the table. When you're using beads both players can watch the score being changed at all times. When using the scorers unless you are at that end of the table looking over the other player as they make the adjustment, it is essentially invisible.

Of course most tables made these days don't even have scoring wheels on the table, and of course almost no pool rooms have beads, so it is getting very hard to even play straight pool.

btw, hats off to Claudio Parrone's Classic Billiards room in Kenosha Wisconsin. Beads at every table. This is a real players room. Congratulations to him also for again being on the winning team at the BCA Masters Team Championships.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-23-2002, 06:46 PM
CCB Key Chain Available for pick up..