PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill Ten Times WORSE Than Expected

Gayle in MD
05-14-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/291975<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
New data indicates that nearly 70,000 barrels are gushing out every day - that is <span style='font-size: 17pt'>10 times the original estimate of the flow by the US Coast Guard and the equivalent of one Exxon Valdez tanker every four days. </span>The Huffington Post reports that crude oil has been jetting out of a pipe a mile underneath the surface of the Gulf of Mexico for three weeks now.
According to NPR the spill is much worse than originally reported.
The volume of oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico from the Deepwater Horizon oil rig may be at least 10 times higher than previously estimated.
The US Coast Guard originally estimated that 5,000 barrels a day was gushing from a broken pipe on the Gulf floor but <span style='font-size: 17pt'>sophisticated scientific analysis of sea floor video made available Wednesday by the oil company BP shows that the true figure is closer to 70,000 barrels a day.
That means the oil spilling into the Gulf has already far exceeded the equivalent of the 1989 Exxon Valdez tanker accident in Alaska, which spilled at least 250,000 barrels of oil according to NPR.</span>The analysis was conducted by Steve Werely, an associate professor at Purdue University, using a technique called particle image velocimetry. The method is reported by NPR to be accurate to about 20%. That means the flow could range between 56,000 barrels a day and 84,000 barrels a day.
But the pipe is spewing both oil and gas and the BP does not make it clear how much is oil and how much gas.
The Huffington Post notes that: Federal officials are carefully tracking the trajectory of the oil that's made it to the water's surface and, increasingly, on shore - in addition to a map that is updated daily.
They say there's never been an oil spill this big and this deep before. Nor have authorities ever used chemical dispersants so widely. Some scientists suspect that a lot, if not most, of the oil is lurking below the surface rather than on it, in a gigantic underwater plume the size and trajectory of which remain largely a mystery.
According to scientists interviewed by the Huffington Post most major oil spills occur right at the surface but this one is entirely different.
With a spill this deep, the oil starts off extremely dense and under pressure. Some of it breaks up or dissolves into the water on the way up, and some of it makes it all the way to the surface. But some will stabilize in the water column maybe as low as 200 to 300 metres off the seabed, then it starts drifting with the current, reports the Huffington Post.
Knowing the extent of the spill and where it is lying it critical to mitigating any damage it might cause. </div></div>

video links included....

Also, the Wistleblower from lst nights Keith Olbermann show, available here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/

BP and others don't adhere to failsafe options and regulations as a rule.

Deeman3
05-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I bet BP is sorry now that they did not spend the extra $500K on shutoff mechanism! I will do a flyover, if they allow me that close, when i go down to Tampa on Sunday and see for myself how bad it looks. I heard there is a restricted airspace but you can skirt (a few miles) it with permission so we shall see. If visability is still good then as some weather is expected on late Sunday.

You know, despite the situation, what has gotten me thinking is all the "non-US/British" oil platforms in the Gulf and just to the South of there. Most are South American and even some Chinese and Korean run deals. How safe are they? We all know about the normal care given by some counties in manufacturing and so forth. As bad as BP is, I suspect there much worse among the 500 plus platforms out there. Like Obama, I don't think we should rule out future drilling but we need to make sure it is safer and that the regulators are taken off the payrolls.

Like your article says, it is highly likey that much will lnger below the surface and with the Gulf Stream, it will continue to circulate around the Gulf and perhaps travel all the way over to Europe, if not up the Eastern Seaboard. This is probably going to get much worse and it seems that BP is not at all prepared to do much aside from lobby Washington and adjust the gas prices.

Gayle in MD
05-14-2010, 10:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet BP is sorry now that they did not spend the extra $500K on shutoff mechanism! I will do a flyover, if they allow me that close, when i go down to Tampa on Sunday and see for myself how bad it looks. I heard there is a restricted airspace but you can skirt (a few miles) it with permission so we shall see. If visability is still good then as some weather is expected on late Sunday.

You know, despite the situation, what has gotten me thinking is all the "non-US/British" oil platforms in the Gulf and just to the South of there. Most are South American and even some Chinese and Korean run deals. How safe are they? We all know about the normal care given by some counties in manufacturing and so forth. As bad as BP is, I suspect there much worse among the 500 plus platforms out there. Like Obama, I don't think we should rule out future drilling but we need to make sure it is safer and that the regulators are taken off the payrolls.

Like your article says, it is highly likey that much will lnger below the surface and with the Gulf Stream, it will continue to circulate around the Gulf and perhaps travel all the way over to Europe, if not up the Eastern Seaboard. This is probably going to get much worse and it seems that BP is not at all prepared to do much aside from lobby Washington and adjust the gas prices.

</div></div>

Everytime I think about Dolphin Island, I feel sick!

You would have enjoyed Olbermann all this week. Loads of live videos have been showing on MSNBC, with graphics, showing the digital location, and expected path.

A close friend, from high school, lives in St. Pete, along the Fla Gulf coast, and the stories he's been telling me about the last spill in the Gulf, ecadess ago, are really heart breaking to hear. Balls of oil on the beach, for years, and birds that were gone for a very long time, which have only returned in recent years.

Loads of manatees, and a other animal species in the Gulf region, died this year anyway, from the severe cold. Now this!

There ws a site I was in that rated these various internataions agencies, and our regulations were rated below BP! And another country, cant recall which one.

I'll try and find it and post it, I may have alredy done so, not sure.

This is going to really be horrible. I hope something good comes out of it, like maybe at least THIS time, Big Oil Will Be Held completely to financial account, fully.

For now, L. Murkowski, R. Alaska, has blocked raising their liability on fast track.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif