PDA

View Full Version : Improving in the absence of better competition

Pacifist
05-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Until just a couple years ago I have always had people that were better than me to play against. Having these players around gave me a goal. I wanted to beat them so I practiced daily and played them as often as I could. Now I can play even with them. I have found that my motivation isn't there anymore. Practice seems much less productive and I'm not sure what I should focus on. I dont have the option of traveling to find better competion. My biggest problem isn't putting practice time in, it's getting the most out of it without a person I can play regularly as a goal. I've tried to set other goals, but they just dont seem to work as well as "catch that guy". My new plan is to work on mastering each shot in all of my pool books starting with the ones I feel are most useful for my game. If anyone else has been in this type of situation and can offer some good advice I would appreciate the input.

Fran Crimi
05-15-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm a goal-oriented person as well. I like to know that I'm practicing for something. Perhaps you could use a tournament as a goal. Would you like to play in the U.S. Open? Maybe you could strive towards having a good showing in a tournament, even if it's just a local or regional event.

Also, I like to buy books on other sports as well as books on sports psychology. I've learned lots of things that I could apply to pool from experts in other sports, and sports psychology books help me a lot with the incentive to practice.

Good luck. I know it's tough.

pooltchr
05-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Fran is absolutely correct. You did a good job of setting a goal for yourself, and worked to reach that goal. Now it's time to establish new goals for yourself. Without a goal, you will most likely stay right where you are, or even reach the point where pool just doesn't offer anything for you. Regional tours are the obvious next step. You don't have to play in every one, but find a few stops that you can take a weekend and go play. You will find the level of play will probably be higher than what you are accustomed to, and then you have new goals.

Steve

Pacifist
05-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks you both very much for the feedback. I believe both of you are correct: I must find a new workable goal. I have always had the overall goal of playing the best pool that I can personally achieve. Thats a great goal but, its not very tangible. I have no way of measuring how far I have come or how far I have left to go. I would like to become a capable pool instructor. There are no instructors in my area and I enjoy helping people play better pool. I want to go to a BCA certified instructor so I can become recognized and then certified. Teaching pool motivates me to play better and I get a lot of satisfaction watching my students grow. This goal is on hold due to financial limitations. Instruction, while reasonably priced, is just a bit out of my reach for the time being. Any suggestions for goals? I practice nearly everyday for at least 1 hour often more. I don't mind running drills and I keep notes when I find something interesting or I want to track my progress on a specific drill. Losing "that person" to catch up to has taken away my goal, but it has also given me an opportunity to find a new one and learn more about myself. Now I just need to find the goal that suits me best. Please post any goal suggestions here, if I don't get any ideas here I may just post a new thread asking what other people have set for goals and see if any of those goals work for me.

pooltchr
05-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Check your pm box

Steve

Alfie
05-16-2010, 04:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pacifist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until just a couple years ago I have always had people that were better than me to play against. Having these players around gave me a goal. I wanted to beat them so I practiced daily and played them as often as I could. Now I can play even with them. I have found that my motivation isn't there anymore. </div></div>Give them a spot that makes them better than you again (better on the scoreboard, that is). Then maybe play for something. It doesn't have to be much.

Fran Crimi
05-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Offering a spot to someone who plays the same speed as you could be considered pretentious, not to mention looking like a sucker to your fellow players. It's easy to say "Who cares what other people think," but in the long run, we do care. Does Pacifist really want that kind of a rep in his or her local billiard establishment?

Pacifist
05-16-2010, 09:30 AM
No I certainly don't want that kind of reputation. The basic idea is good though. I could spot them in my own mind without mentioning it and use that as my own personal goal in each match without offending anyone or looking like a sucker. I try very hard to be a gentleman when I'm playing pool. I do my best to sit quietly in my chair and wait for my turn. I don't want people to think I need to shark someone or interfere with their game in order to win. It is important for me to know I won on my own merits and not because I distracted my opponent to gain an advantage.

1Time
05-19-2010, 01:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pacifist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until just a couple years ago I have always had people that were better than me to play against. Having these players around gave me a goal. I wanted to beat them so I practiced daily and played them as often as I could. </div></div>The problem is you started off with the wrong goal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pacifist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I can play even with them. I have found that my motivation isn't there anymore. Practice seems much less productive and I'm not sure what I should focus on. </div></div>And your current lack of focus shows this.

Your solution should be to play / practice because it is gratifying to you to improve and play better - regardless of competition... win, lose, or no competition at all.

I've never shot better pool than I do right now, and I find that very gratifying / rewarding, in and of itself - regardless of if I win, lose, or compete with anyone.