PDA

View Full Version : DID YOU HEAR THAT?

LWW
05-16-2010, 02:52 PM
It was the sound of my beloved Cincinnati Redlegs pulling ahead of the Saint Louis Cardinals for sole possession of first place.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bouncingsmileys.gif

LWW

sack316
05-16-2010, 09:45 PM
I actually had came on to write you a congrats message. Looks like you beat me to it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

8 of the last 10, they are running hot!

Sack

LWW
05-17-2010, 04:23 AM
Had their starting pitching performed as well in the first 3 weeks as they have the last 3 ... which is what everyone expected ... they would be on their way to running away with a playoff spot.

In any event ... this team started out well last year and then tanked in the middle third of the season. During the last third, after adding Scott Rolen, they had the best record in MLB closing out the season.

Rolen has made a huge impact on this team. Their starting pitching is very deep, and Volquez returns soon plus Chapman is lurking in AA so they could handle an injury their. The bullpen is deep, the defense is quite strong.

Their weakness is that once you get past the starting 8 they get week quick. If either Rolen, Votto, Bruce, or Phillips goes down for any length of time it could all blow up quickly.

If that doesn't happen I think they are a very serious contender for at least a wild card spot.

BTW ... thanks.

LWW

sack316
05-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Yeah, I still think the Cards are too good to not win the Central. As a Cubs fan you know it kills me to say that!

But your boys have surprised me thus far. I was thinking they were another couple of years (to develop some of these young studs at The Show level of play) and maybe one 'big bat' acquisition away from being serious threats. But hey, that's the beauty of baseball... get you a group of guys to buy into a system and play together as a team, and ya never know what can happen!

And I don't know whatsup with my Cubbies. No disrespect to these guys... but Byrd at the plate and Silva on the mound are definitely NOT supposed to be our leaders! Of course, if our big name guys step up and the role players continue to produce, we'll be dangerous. But in the mean time, I'm full of a lot of concern over here. I still think we'll catch our gear sometime... but we gotta hit it before we are too far behind some pretty strong teams!

Sack

LWW
05-17-2010, 07:43 AM
I tend to agree on the Cardinals ... but, like the Reds, they aren't real deep. The Cards starting pitching is probably a tad better, but less prepared for a situation where 1 or more go down. The Reds bullpen may be the best in baseball.

Their starting 8 actually isn't any better than Cinci's, and maybe a notch below.

Experience definitely in in the Cards favor, and I think LaRussa is a slightly better manager.

Castellini also is a guy with deep pockets who wants to win.

If they stay in the hunt I can see a situation where they get a missing piece or 2 towards the end. The farm system is deep, and I honestly hope they do that very judiciously.

Next year is probably their break out year however. Harangatang won't be back ... unless it's for way less money. Ouryoyo may be gone also to free up salary ... but he seems to want to stay so maybe not. Hernandez is also probably gone, so more money frees up still. Cordero is a horse and I think they keep him.

That leaves money for a big bat via free agency.

Give me Gomes and a more mature Bruce in the outfield with an Adam Dunn ... or any serious 30/.285/100 guy ... and this starting staff of Bailey - Cueto - Volquez/Arroyo - Leake - Chapman and it's time to ice some champagne.

LWW