PDA

View Full Version : A question about joints...

08-22-2002, 08:31 PM
What are phenolic rings? I am considering purchasing a cue which has two phenolic rings at the joint(the joint itself is steel). What purpose do these rings serve, and how do they affect the play of the cue?

08-23-2002, 01:44 PM
What's to know. You roll them up and smoke them. Some people prefer to use those little "rolling machine" thingies, but those are for beginners. People who really know about joints roll them up without the help of rolling machines.

heater451
08-23-2002, 03:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> What are phenolic rings? I am considering purchasing a cue which has two phenolic rings at the joint(the joint itself is steel). What purpose do these rings serve, and how do they affect the play of the cue? <hr></blockquote>Phenolic plastic is "hard, infusible polymer made from phenol-formaldehyde". (Just plug "phenolic" into your favorite search engine.)

Most of these types of rings on a cue are for decoration. If you look at the joint faces, you will probably see that the ring simply covers the outside of the joint, while the joint itself is wood and/or metal.

There are probably full phenolic joints out there, but I haven't seen any personally (although I certainly haven't seen as many cues as a lot of the folks on the board).

I would imagine that the decorative rings don't have much affect on the cue's hit. If the ferrule is phenolic, that's another story. . . .

==================