PDA

View Full Version : WPBA Problems --- Whose at fault?

Rich R.
08-23-2002, 08:17 AM
For the last couple days we have all read about the changes in the WPBA tournament format and how the top 16 players are being protected. AZBilliards has the new brackets on line and it is apparent that the top 16 are receiving two buys and can not finish low, even with a two and out. Much has been said on this board and AZB concerning these changes and how unfair it is.

I have to ask the question, Whose fault is it?

Early this year, Dr. D. was thown off the board of the WPBA by the powers that be. At that time, there was a lot of discussion about that action and how the members of the WPBA were going to take some action at the meeting at Valley Forge. From what I was told, nobody spoke up at that meeting and the incident with Dr. D. was not even mentioned.
As I look at the current situation, it appears that the Board of the WPBA must figure that they can make any changes that they want, without regard for the majority of members. They must feel that the members will blindly follow whatever they are told.
In my opionion, if the members do not speak up and make their displeasure know, the WPBA Board will continue these types of actions, without regard for the members. Ultimately, it is all the fault of the membership for allowing it. JMHO.
Rich R.~~~ does not believe the tail should wag the dog.

Lester
08-23-2002, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> In my opionion, if the members do not speak up and make their displeasure know, the WPBA Board will continue these types of actions, without regard for the members. Ultimately, it is all the fault of the membership for allowing it. JMHO.
Rich R.~~~ does not believe the tail should wag the dog. <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Rich, I keep thinking there is something missing in the story. A reason why the board can get away with this. It's "mind boggling" to me how they can make sweeping changes in the rules and get away with it. It's almost like they want the WPBA to fail, so they can start over. ***Lester***

08-23-2002, 10:02 AM
It seems to me that the majority of posts concerning the WPBA are made by men. Why is the interest so one-sided?

heater451
08-23-2002, 10:19 AM
Have you seen an "MPBA" match on television recently?

Troy
08-23-2002, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich:</font><hr> In my opionion, if the members do not speak up and make their displeasure know, the WPBA Board will continue these types of actions, without regard for the members. Ultimately, it is all the fault of the membership for allowing it. JMHO.
Rich R.~~~ does not believe the tail should wag the dog.
<hr></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Rich, I keep thinking there is something missing in the story. A reason why the board can get away with this. It's "mind boggling" to me how they can make sweeping changes in the rules and get away with it. It's almost like they want the WPBA to fail, so they can start over. ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>
Maybe the ladies have come to understand that something, corrupt &amp; top-loaded as it is, is far better than nothing.

Troy...~~~ Thinks the WPBA is taking lessons from the Mens tour..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

SPetty
08-23-2002, 11:48 AM
But isn't that what the Board of Directors do? Make decisions for the organization? That's what they're elected to do. Although they are supposed to make decisions for the good of the organization, I don't think there is anything that forces them do the right thing. Make no mistake. What they've done here is absolutely and totally wrong and I am in no way defending such a stupid decision. (Oh! Do I have an opinion?)

What do you think the peons within the organization can do to change a board decision? Their hands are tied. It's not a democracy where everyone votes. It's an organization with a board in place to make the decisions.

Try calling the President of the Board of Directors of a company in which you hold stock and see if you can change their decision. You can't. They decide and the organization lives with the decision.

Rich R.
08-23-2002, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> Maybe the ladies have come to understand that something, corrupt &amp; top-loaded as it is, is far better than nothing.

Troy...~~~ Thinks the WPBA is taking lessons from the Mens tour..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif <hr></blockquote>
That may be what some of the ladies think, but I don't buy it. I would hope the ladies will realize, their chance to advance under this system is slim.
It is also not only the players that are getting cheated here. What about the local pool room owners, who sponsor regional tournaments, and other sponsors who put up the the money to pay for the qualifiers. They are sponsoring players who have very little chance of moving up the rankings. This can not make sponsors happy. If the sponsors of regional tournaments are not happy, the money to run those tournaments will eventually dry up.
It may be a little extreme, but eventually, you will have WPBA tournaments without full fields, because there will not be any qualifying events. Then the major sponsors of the WPBA will be unhappy. Then what?
Rich R.~~~the WPBA needs fixing now.

Rich R.
08-23-2002, 12:07 PM
SPetty, you are correct. A board of directors is supponse make decisions and those decisions are suppose to be for the good of the organization. I can not disagree with your comparison to a company's board of directors. Correct me if I am wrong, but a company's board of directors is either appointed by the corporate officers or elected by the stockholders. If they don't make good decisions, they are removed or you end up with the mess we have been seeing on the news lately. If the membership does not remove the board members, who are making bad decisions, the WPBA is headed in the same direction as some of the corporate giants on the evening news.
Rich R.

SpiderMan
08-23-2002, 01:01 PM
Why was Dr D removed from the board?

SpiderMan

jjinfla
08-23-2002, 01:03 PM
Baaaaa Baaaaa Baaaaa That is the sound that the bottom 48 make. Just sheep following orders. What can they do? Well for one not enter the tournament. For two. contact the Board and lodge a protest. For three, contact the sponsors and complain to them at how unfair the tournament that they are sponsoring is. But since they are good little sheep they will just pay their $500 and keep their mouths shut. Jake

08-23-2002, 01:05 PM
the analogy is a weak one. In corporate America, very few if any boards are comprised SOLELY of employees. Often, one or two officers of the company serve on the board...the other board members usually also include at least half a dozen other people who are not directly employed by the company.

In this instance, the board of directors (except for the Treasurer) are all WPBA members....all of whom have potentially self-serving interests that cloud objective, sound decision-making ability. This board lacks supplemental directors who are knowledgable in the billiards industry but have no vested interest in policy decisions....people who might be better able to keep an eye on the "big picture". There is no check-and-balance element to this board.

This set-up has a rats-guarding-the-cheese feel to it, and I don't know that they have the business acumen to realize how short-sighted some of these policies are. Better sponsorship can only come with growing the field, and growing the field cannot occur under such a caste structure.

shayla
08-23-2002, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> It seems to me that the majority of posts concerning the WPBA are made by men. Why is the interest so one-sided? <hr></blockquote>

Well, I think a majority of CCB are men to begin with. But believe me, the interest isn't one-sided at all. I, for one, think the whole restructering of the brackets is friggin' insane. Sometimes I wonder if the people who approve these types of changes are on crack?!

I'm sure most of the women that get to play in the WPBA don't speak up because they don't have anywhere else to play. I bet if they got banned from playing in the WPBA for speaking up (anything's possible with the WPBA nowadays) and expressing their concerns, that they'd probably be banned from playing in most women's tournaments. All of the Regional Tours are sanctioned by the WPBA (I think). The WPBA could easily dictate to a Regional Tour to not let a certain player play and that Regional Tour would have to abide because they are sanctioned. Its almost like a no-win situation for the girls at the bottom because all of them want to have the chance to play the sport they love!

Wally_in_Cincy
08-23-2002, 01:54 PM
Quote: SpiderMan: Why was Dr D removed from the board?

SpiderMan
================================================== =====
WPBA ANNOUNCES CHANGE IN BOARD OF DIRECTORS

February 8, 2002 (Charlotte, NC) &amp;#8212; The Women's Professional Billiard Association (WPBA) announced today that the WPBA Board of Directors, in a unanimous vote, dismissed Dr. Diana Sorrentino with cause from the WPBA Board of Directors and has relieved her of all duties, under the WPBA bylaws Article V, Section 7.

Article V, Section 7 of the WPBA bylaws states &amp;#8211; "Any one or more members of the Association may be removed with or without cause, at any time, by the vote of 2/3 of the members of the board of directors present and voting at that meeting called for that purpose."

"This has been an unpleasant process for the entire board but we are committed to furthering the goals and objectives of the WPBA," said Jan McWorter, WPBA President. "We would like to thank Dr. Sorrentino for her service and wish her well in her future endeavors. We are also pleased to announce that the new Secretary of the WPBA Board of Directors is Ms. Candi Rego. Candi has worked well serving in the capacity of Regional Tour Program Director and we are confident she will be excellent in her new executive position. The Board is currently in discussion on filling the open Board position and plans to do so immediately."

Officially "with cause"

Unofficially probably for speaking her mind or thinking outside the box.

heater451
08-23-2002, 03:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: aldewey:</font><hr> the analogy is a weak one. In corporate America, very few if any boards are comprised SOLELY of employees. Often, one or two officers of the company serve on the board...the other board members usually also include at least half a dozen other people who are not directly employed by the company.

In this instance, the board of directors (except for the Treasurer) are all WPBA members....all of whom have potentially self-serving interests that cloud objective, sound decision-making ability. This board lacks supplemental directors who are knowledgable in the billiards industry but have no vested interest in policy decisions....people who might be better able to keep an eye on the "big picture". There is no check-and-balance element to this board.

This set-up has a rats-guarding-the-cheese feel to it, and I don't know that they have the business acumen to realize how short-sighted some of these policies are. Better sponsorship can only come with growing the field, and growing the field cannot occur under such a caste structure. <hr></blockquote>ALL analogies fail at some point, or else they wouldn't be analogies. . ..

Both your post and SPetty's post bring up a very large issue with "directors" of any type: Self-serving interests (which may be directly or indirectly responsible for another issue, that of "short-sightedness".

As long as beauracracy exists, those who abuse it for personal gain will exist as well. --And the inherent problem with that, is that we, as individuals, have a right to our own survival and prosperity, but seldom have the ability to reconcile that with the survival and prosperity of a group. It's a hard thing to see, let alone correct.

There are also always going to be two sides of every issue, with good and bad on either. Unfortunately, many modern decisions are made with what can be describe with the sentiments of the following sayings:

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

"He who has the gold makes the rules."

and as Orwell put it in Animal Farm, ". . . .Some Are More Equal Than Others."

(God, I feel like an old man saying, "You know what's wrong with America today?", and I'm only 31. . . .)

===================
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
- Abraham Lincoln
===================