PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different ...

LWW
06-02-2010, 06:01 AM
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_060110/content/01125118.Par.4584.ImageFile.jpg

Perspective.

LWW

Sev
06-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Well according to GreyGhost the pressure below the pipe is 18,000 lbs per sq foot.
It is currently at 10,000lbs sq' coming out.

They are cutting the pipe off in order to cap it. If their capping attempt fails its really going to turn into a fiasco.

pooltchr
06-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Based on that chart, one could reasonably conclude that we are at much greater risk of oil spills from tankers than we are from offshore rigs, suggesting that we can better help the enviornment by conducting more domestic oil drilling, rather than shipping oil from foreign countries.

Also, interesting that one man (Saddam) was responsible for far more pollution than both the recent gulf spill and the Exxon Valdez combined!

The media and the so called experts are screaming about the consequences of this spill, and I would be the first to admit that we have a huge problem with clean-up ahead of us. But looking back, it seems that fisheries, plant and sea life have somehow survived far greater spills.

Amazing how our earth seems to have a pretty strong ability to heal itself over time.

Steve

DeadCrab
06-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Let me put it in a different perspective.

What is going on in the Gulf hurts Americans, and it hurts the American environment. With the exception of Valdez, the other events you cite are largely foreign events.

I view your silly chart as un-American propaganda.

A lot of Americans died on that rig. Poorly designed and maintained by a foreign insurgent oil company. Nice of you to pander to BP, their killing of Americans, their polluting of our country. Maybe you should move to London. You sure don't belong here.

Sev
06-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I still believe the explosion was sabotage.

It will be difficult to prove that it was not.

Forensics is tough at 5000 feet down.

pooltchr
06-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't think anyone is saying it isn't a bad situation. I think the point is more along the lines that it is not the worst thing that has happened to the environment, and yet, somehow, the enviornment has recovered.

The radical calls to stop all drilling are foolish. The risks we face from transporting oil in tankers is greater than the risk we face from offshore drilling, but nobody is suggesting we should stop shipping oil from overseas.

Steve

DeadCrab
06-02-2010, 11:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think anyone is saying it isn't a bad situation. I think the point is more along the lines that it is not the worst thing that has happened to the environment, and yet, somehow, the enviornment has recovered.

The radical calls to stop all drilling are foolish. The risks we face from transporting oil in tankers is greater than the risk we face from offshore drilling, but nobody is suggesting we should stop shipping oil from overseas.

Steve </div></div>

For the last several years, shipping spills have been around 17,000 tonnes/year. This is about 113,000 barrels, or 4M gal.This is paltry to the Gulf situation, where the leak is greater, and much more focal in time and space.

ref:

http://www.itopf.com/information-services/data-and-statistics/statistics/

Deeman3
06-02-2010, 12:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think anyone is saying it isn't a bad situation. I think the point is more along the lines that it is not the worst thing that has happened to the environment, and yet, somehow, the enviornment has recovered.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Steve,

Of course, the big difference to me is that we don't know when this will stop and, unlike an oil tanker, there is not an "empty" point on a gusher like this. Again, I can't imagine 200 of these spewing away if torn out by a hurricane. It seems it would have been so simple to have a redundant system in the BOP series and they got an exemption from that.

Of course, I can almost see the oil from my house. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I hope this ends soon. </span>

Steve </div></div>

LWW
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeadCrab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Let me put it in a different perspective.

What is going on in the Gulf hurts Americans, and it hurts the American environment. With the exception of Valdez, the other events you cite are largely foreign events.

I view your silly chart as un-American propaganda.

A lot of Americans died on that rig. Poorly designed and maintained by a foreign insurgent oil company. Nice of you to pander to BP, their killing of Americans, their polluting of our country. Maybe you should move to London. You sure don't belong here.
</div></div>

You have no clue what my thoughts are so please don't attempt to speak for me.

I have in no way attempted to downplay the problem ... nor will I enter into the Chicken Little POV that it is apocalyptic.

LWW

eg8r
06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Isnt' it sad that it actually happened and very little is being done to stop it? What really is the point of showing one disaster is more or less disastrous as another?

eg8r

LWW
06-02-2010, 06:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt' it sad that it actually happened and very little is being done to stop it? What really is the point of showing one disaster is more or less disastrous as another?

eg8r </div></div>

None at all ... unless you value perspective.

Losing a toenail is a bad thing ... until compared to losing a foot.

This is already being spun as a reason to make the nation more dependent on foreign oil, even though when viewed through logical eyes it is evidence that we need to expand drilling on the shelf instead of continuing with a ban based on ignorance.

LWW

eg8r
06-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Your chart only means as much as you want it to. It doesn't change anyone's mind one way or another as far as expectations of what to do or not to do.

This oil spill while not on the same level as the others in the chart is quite different than just being a lost toenail compared to a lost foot. The ramifications are much higher, so using such an extreme example to prove a point doesn't really help the cause.

eg8r