PDA

View Full Version : *Black Belt Billiards Book Review

SPetty
08-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Howdy,

I posted most of this under a different thread, then thought that maybe I should get a little more visibility for it by pulling it up into a new thread. If you've read the other thread, this one is identical due to the miracles of cut'n'paste, so you can skip the rest...

I just thought I'd take the opportunity to mention this book and give a quick review since I like it so much. Otherís might be interested in it as well, and Iíd hate to have them miss out because Steve's "not supposed to" advertise here...

After Karatemom mentioned this book Ė Black Belt Billiards - had helped her bank shots tremendously, I just had to check into it and I got one. Itís a cool name for a pool book, and itís a cool book. After some introductory material, itís a book ďchock fullĒ of drills and patterns. The early ones look pretty easy and the later ones look a lot more challenging. He gives good tips on how to shoot the shots, and itís a real good idea to actually read the text that goes along with the picture! Itís not a book youíre supposed to just sit and read Ė youíre supposed to take it to the table to do the work. Itís in a binder that folds back on itself so it can always lay flat when you take it to the table with you. I also really like that if he got the shot from another source, he actually gives that source proper credit.

You get to earn belts, like karate belts, when you successfully complete a drill. I like the idea of earning a "permanent" black belt Ė it doesnít mean you never have to practice that one again, but I interpret it to mean that now you know what to do to make that shot so you can move on. Iím currently stuck on the easy stop shot drill. Canít seem to do 10 perfect ones in a row! But even if you donít get a permanent black belt, you can earn a lesser color, or even a temporary belt, and move along if you feel like it. So, itís different from other drill books in that rather than just doing a drill and then youíre done, you get to do a drill until you get rewarded for your efforts with a belt! (Well, okay, you donít actually get a real belt...)

I donít know how long it will take to work through the entire book since there is so much there, but Iím hoping to at least get through it and hopefully be a black belt by the time I get to Vegas next year. Doncha know it'll get down to me and Karatemom in the finals! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

No, I donít get royalties /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif, I just like and recommend the book!

Thereís more about the book on Steveís web site at <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards>http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards</a>. If it matters to you (like it matters to me!) he makes it easy to pay with PayPal!

Don't hate me! It's not an advertisement! It's a book review!

Karatemom
08-23-2002, 12:20 PM
How's it going? Being a permanent black belt in karate does not mean that you quit learning. It means you will forever be a student. Besides, there are at least 10 more levels of black belts after the first.

I also love this book. I think for beginners like myself, it is a wonderful tool to see where your game is and to progress at your own speed.

I am on the blue belt right now. Unfortunately, my practice and drill time has been cut down tremendously since going back to work. I do go to the ph at least once a week though and get as much practice in as I can.

As for Vegas next year, I think I might have the upper hand as I know karate and you don't, hahahahaha. Just kidding. I think it would be kind of cool to play someone else I know that I don't normally play. I'm extremely competitive. You and me in the finals - you bet!!!!!

Heide ~ the real karatemom, LOL

bluewolf
08-23-2002, 01:27 PM
I have one coming! i cant wait!

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-23-2002, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr> How's it going? Being a permanent black belt in karate does not mean that you quit learning. It means you will forever be a student. Besides, there are at least 10 more levels of black belts after the first.

I also love this book. I think for beginners like myself, it is a wonderful tool to see where your game is and to progress at your own speed.

I am on the blue belt right now. Unfortunately, my practice and drill time has been cut down tremendously since going back to work. I do go to the ph at least once a week though and get as much practice in as I can.

As for Vegas next year, I think I might have the upper hand as I know karate and you don't, hahahahaha. Just kidding. I think it would be kind of cool to play someone else I know that I don't normally play. I'm extremely competitive. You and me in the finals - you bet!!!!!

Heide ~ the real karatemom, LOL <hr></blockquote>

i am good at karate but you guys are obviously better than me at pool /ccboard/images/icons/mad.gif

bluewolf