PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Tournament in Downingtown PA

08-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Who is going to attend the annual 14.1 Straight Pool tourney in Downingtown PA next weekend.

I am attemprint to take a ride down to watch my dad play.

Allen Hopkins and some other great straight players will be there.

Jack Colavita Jr

08-23-2002, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jack Jr:</font><hr> Who is going to attend the annual 14.1 Straight Pool tourney in Downingtown PA next weekend.

I am attempting to take a ride down to watch my dad play.

Allen Hopkins and some other great straight players will be there.

Jack Colavita Jr <hr></blockquote>

08-23-2002, 12:29 PM
I'll be there playing, Jack. The other players that will be there:

Karen Corr
Julie Kelly
Allen Hopkins
Danny Barouty
Carmen Lombardo
Teddy Garrahan
John Bender
Jack Colavita
Jimmy Fusco
Bob Maidhof
Don Polo
Alex ?
JJ ?
Richard?
??

I am not certain of the last four, as their names were hastily given to me by Danny B over the phone.

Can't wait!

- Steve

Barbara
08-23-2002, 01:21 PM
Steve,

When is it this year?

Barbara

08-23-2002, 01:22 PM
Next weekend, Barbara.

- Steve

houseman
08-23-2002, 02:44 PM
Hello gang, I haven`t posted for a while
We will start the first round of our yearly tournament friday night aug 30th at 10:00 pm. And resume at 12 noon on Saturday. It was such a long day on saturday in the previous years Pete decided a change was needed.
Teddy Garrahan and Rich Sluzalis have cancelled out.
Tim Sipes was added.

The tournament chart will be posted on my web site at www.thebilliardstour.com (http://www.thebilliardstour.com) and updated every 2 1/2 hours if all works out.
thanks
mickey scott
houseman and owner
d&amp;d family billiards

Nostroke
08-23-2002, 03:42 PM
JJ? When John Schmidt came through Florida last couple of years, that's the name he used. If that's him, he's my pick.

Where is Tony R by the way?

Also- What is format/purse?

Barbara
08-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Rats!! Rats!! And Double Rats!!! I can't do it! Shoot!!!

Okay, my money's on Bob Maidhof. I've got one 2 lb bag of my special pecans against anyone's 20 bucks. Any takers??

Barbara~~~heh heh heh....

Q-guy
08-23-2002, 07:18 PM
My pick also. Do you know Bobby very well? I haven't seen him in 20 years. We ran around together quite a bit years ago. The last time I saw Jimmy Caras he was telling me how well Bobby was playing straight pool. Bobby has been a good player since he was a kid. Very talented.

Barbara
08-23-2002, 08:02 PM
Q-guy,

Bob has a really nice PH just south of Philly. He is very meticulous of how his tables play and had to replace every one after Hurricane Floyd flooded his room about 5 years ago. The only reason why I don't frequent his room is that it's a 45 min-1 hour from me and along I-95 where it can be a parking lot or a 90 miles per hour joy ride. It changes hourly.

I'm not knocking his action, but my money's on him.

I really don't know Bob well, but he and I went down to Jacksonville in February to go visit Jimmy Caras. Bob took very good care of Jimmy when he lived up here and let Jimmy have the run of his room. It was a good thing we both were there since it would have been a difficult task to help Jimmy on a solo basis. On the plane ride back Bob and I talked non-stop. I have a lot of respect for Bob and he's a good person. He's done a lot of good things for pool in the Philly area and even helped a top-notch player that has no manners to even pick up a phone to thank him, let alone Jimmy Caras who helped him too.

I've still got a bet to make, and I'm looking for one taker only.

Barbara~~~making some pecans this week... just to bring to the tournament in case she gets let loose...

Nostroke
08-23-2002, 08:39 PM
I've met Bob and he seems like a really great guy- He plays good nine ball too- He won quite few matches in the US Open a year or two before his flood.

What about Allen Hopkins? He just beat Efren in vegas so he must be hitting them good and straight pool is his game.

Ill still take JJ though if that is J Schmidt. He seems to run hundred plus every time he walks into a pool room. He is the one who drove Siegel to break his stick at the Roseland Ballroom a few years back.

SPetty
08-24-2002, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> I've still got a bet to make, and I'm looking for one taker only.

Barbara~~~making some pecans this week... <hr></blockquote>Okay, if you're still looking, make it me. $20 against 2 lbs of your pecans. I missed out in Valley Forge, I'm not gonna miss out again. Even if I lose (which I hope I do in this case), I win!

Barbara
08-24-2002, 08:51 AM
Okay Susan, it's you and me!

I say Bob takes the tourny, you can have everyone else.

Barbara~~~woohoo!!

08-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Hmmm... if I were to read the papers before the matches, I guess I wouldn't even bother showing up to play.

- Steve --&gt; was hoping for at least a good luck (sniff sniff)

Barbara
08-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Good luck Steve!! You'll need it 'cause you're going up against some top guns!! And tell Barouty to leave his Speedos at home!!!

Barbara~~~it was like a train wreck - you couldn't help but watch...

08-24-2002, 03:41 PM
It is NOT John Schmidt. JJ is a local player originally from Scranton Pa., who now resides in Westchester Pa.
Excellent straight pool player.

If i'm not mistaken...he knocked Danny B. out last year.

Nostroke
08-24-2002, 04:01 PM
Thanks Raph. Now i know of 3 pool JJ's

Scranton huh? Likely Rempe understudy i guess.

I'll switch my pick to Allen now.

#### leonard
08-24-2002, 07:08 PM
Steve here is the advice I gave Mike Sigel when he played his first Worlds, watch players who run balls and they are always in body rythymn. Now watch players who are playing bad and you will notice they are out of body rythymn. Just play to a rythymn that is the secret in Major Tourneys. Good luck####

CarolNYC
08-25-2002, 04:45 AM
Barbara,
Steve is one of those "TOP-GUNS!" And Im telling Danny!ha ha ha-Steve, Dan phoned me also, I'll be there to root you on and I also saw Jack Colavita yesterday at Comet-Good luck to you all!
Carol~loves to watch the men play 14.1:)

SPetty
08-25-2002, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Steve_Lipsky:</font><hr> - Steve --&gt; was hoping for at least a good luck (sniff sniff)<hr></blockquote>Hi Steve, Break a Leg! When you win this thing, I get Barbara's pecans! WooHoo! Take 'em down Steve! Good Luck. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SPetty~~~I guess I didn't feel the need to wish you good luck knowing for sure that you'd win anyway! How's that?

Barbara
08-25-2002, 09:37 AM
Oh I know Steve's a straight pool player in NYC. But he's just a kid.

And definitely tell Danny to leave the Speedo suit in NYC. We have "taste" and "fashion sense" down here. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Barbara~~~go Florida Bob....

Retardo
08-25-2002, 09:49 AM
In that case, he better leave his whole wardrobe behind, especially those hats. First time I saw him I thought he'd just stopped by the Pool Room on his way to a Safari.

Barbara
08-25-2002, 10:24 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!

Oh yeah! The "Safari" look!!

Barbara

08-26-2002, 07:59 PM
Is this an open tournament or an invitational? I have two 100 ball runners from my room I'd like to see play.
Bob Campbell
www.doitforthegame.com (http://www.doitforthegame.com)

08-26-2002, 08:46 PM
Hi Bob. It's an Open, but it's limited to 16 players. There may be a spot open right now, but you should get in touch with Mickey, the house man, ASAP.

- Steve

Nostroke
08-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Steve-16 players?-I thought that was just a partial list.

They had to reach out to NYC (130 miles) to barely fill a 16 player field?

houseman
08-27-2002, 05:42 PM
Players signed up update,
Karen and Julie have dropped out. Ben Masucci was added.
players as of tuesday 7:30 pm
Jack Colovita, John Bender
Tim Sipes, Jimmy Fusco
Dan Barouty, Steve Lipsky
Don Polo, Alex--local
Bob Maidhof, J.J.---local
Greg Hill--local
Carmen Lombardo, Allen Hopkins