PDA

View Full Version : 10 years after Hurricane Andrew {NPR}

Voodoo Daddy
08-23-2002, 11:17 PM
Here it is, 10 years to the day that changed my outlook on life forever. August 24, 1992 I came home from the PH just as I normally did to find several cars in my driveway. My room-mate/best friend Kenny was having a Hurricane Andrew party. I just went to bed so I could get some rest for work the next day. At 3:54AM I was awakened by strong winds and something told me to put my shoes on {I never wear shoes in the house}. In no less than 5 minutes, my roof was ripped off, I had no windows, was thrown across the living room by my front door...landing on my couch and cracking two disc's in my lower back and I was wondering if I was gonna make it outta that house in one piece. We bunkered down in the bathroom {the saferoom in most Florida house's} with my two Pit Bulls, my room-mate and myself. I preceeded to smoke 2 packs of Marlboro Lights and down a 5th of Bacardi Black!! At 6:55AM we walked outside to see what I still see in nightmares.

3 hours later, my life had changed. I walked around my hood with my dogs trying to put a handle on my surroundings, to say the least I was freaked out...then I heard my neighbor screaming from his home. A tree had feel into his home, pinning his whole family inside. Kenny and I dug him, his wife and 3 children out of his home, spent the next 2 days cutting tree's out of the street so we could get out of the neighborhood. We had no power until October 15 and no cable until February 1993. I lost everything I owned {yes, I said everything} except a weeks worth of clothes I bagged the night before {just in case}, my Colt .45 ACP {just in case} and my cue, which was in the bathroom with me. I guess typing this out helps me cope with what happened that morning, and at 3:54AM I will be on the edge but I'm here to tell the story.

CarolNYC
08-24-2002, 04:49 AM
God bless you Voodoo,
I just watched a special yesterday and was horrified of the devastation-OMG-no food for days-unbelievable!You were put here for a reason and Im GLAD your here!:)
Carol

Kato
08-24-2002, 06:45 AM
You know Steve, what you folks down in Miami had to go through with Andrew, jeez, un-explainable. A mere 50 miles to the north, sure we had some rain and high winds but we missed the brunt of that storm. For weeks and months people came to my parents home for food and water.

Kato~~~is happy that Voodoo survived Andrew and I'd never call him "Big Poppa"

Karatemom
08-24-2002, 07:22 AM
If Chris were here, I know he'd said the same thing: we're damn glad you made it! The world wouldn't be the same without you in it, Voodoo.

Heide ~ happy Voodoo is here to tell a story

08-24-2002, 08:05 AM
The power of a hurricane is awsome. I saw the damage it could do when hurricane Allen came on shore in Texas. That was nothing compared to what you guys had down there. They say hurricane and I say I'm gone. You are one lucky guy. I'm glad you made it.

Jerry S.

PQQLK9
08-24-2002, 08:25 AM
what a time that was...I glad you survived...ok now for some FUN....

What does a hurricane and a North Carolina Divorce have in common?
/
//
///
////
/////
Somebody is going to lose a Mobile Home!/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R.
08-24-2002, 09:38 AM
Voodoo, I'm happy that you are here to tell us about it.
There is nothing like the power of mother nature. I believe that hurricanes and tornadoes are meant to remind us that we are not in charge.
In 1972 I was living in N.E. Pennsylvania (Wilkes-Barre) when hurricane Agnes came through. Although we did not have the high winds, we received plenty of water. The flooding was tremendous. I lived a mile from the river and there was at least 8' of water in the building in which I lived. Houses floated up, off their foundations, and were found 2 or 3 blocks away. There was a mobile home manufaturer near the river. The completed mobile homes became torpedoes, floating down streets. There are some parts of that area that have never fully recovered.
Rich R.~~~seems like yesterday.

rackmup
08-24-2002, 10:07 AM
Your strength isn't found in the mere fact that you survived nor in the fact that you helped rescue a family from their devastated home. Your strength is evident in your ability to survive for so long without cable!

We are all here for a reason. Some of us are taken at ages so young, we question our creator. Others are allowed to live until they are 100 or more. You are here for a reason my friend...don't ever lose sight of that.

Regards,

Ken

Barbara
08-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Rich!

My Dad's family lived in West Pittston and my grandfather got flooded out up to the second floor of his house and he lived a mile from the Susquehanna River. We drove through the town after the waters receeded and I will never forget the devastation that hurricane caused.

When Pete and I got stuck in Miami for a couple days when the great blizzard of '96 happened up here, we rented a car and drove around the area. We were near Homestead when I saw all these palm trees broken in half - their tops were just gone. That's when it hit Pete and I that this was still leftover from Hurricane Andrew.

Barbara

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 12:46 PM
I was playing in a tournament that weekend in Tallahassee. We were watching the coverage on the TV and it was looking bad. I forfeited in the middle of a match when my wife came over and said we got to go. If I won I was going anyway so I figured why wait. I remember driving back and passing a solid stream of cars heading the other way. I told the tenants in my buildings to get to the nearest shelter and hopefully tomorrow we will all still have a place to live. That was one scary night. I was not prepared at all. I am just a few miles north of you and was lucky. When the sun came up and the portable radio began to tell us what had happened, it could not be believed. Then the electric was restored and we were able to see it on TV it was shocking. Miami looked like Hiroshima. I can't believe only 15 people were killed. When I first saw the pictures, I thought it could be in the thousands.

08-24-2002, 12:54 PM
Jeez, Voodoo, I never made that connection. I'm so glad you survived, and with the truly important things intact (Dogs, cues and guns, in that order)!! BTW, LOVE your new tag line. Got a guy in our room that sings that all the time. Too funny.

Voodoo Daddy
08-24-2002, 05:01 PM
Funny Q-Guy, John DiToro was at that tournament up in Talli. He called me the next day {my phone never stopped working once}, he made reference to the high winds and oral sex{HAHAHAHAHAHA} and then asked me how his house was. I told him not to rush home because his house was hit by one of the many tornados...destroying it as well. Just so all of you know the top of the storms eye, according to computer images went right through my back yard. Saw a school bus on a house roof, my neighbors water heater was wrapped around the front of my truck, what was left of my bass boat was found 2 blocks away. My parents lived 6 miles north of me, they lost 3 tiles on their roof and power was out for 3 days...go figure.

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 07:45 PM
Now that I think it, it was Gainesville.