PDA

View Full Version : Greg Matthews, not Grady

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 09:26 AM
Check this out, interesting.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cuecollector.com/reference/ratings.htm>http://www.cuecollector.com/reference/ratings.htm</a>

Voodoo Daddy
08-24-2002, 05:08 PM
I guess I need a website to type a bunch of cuemakers names in and post my opinions of them too! Unbelievable....

Bob C
08-24-2002, 06:21 PM
What is the connection with this site and Grady?

PQQLK9
08-24-2002, 06:58 PM
This guy's name is "Greg Matthews" not "Grady Matthews"...

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 07:32 PM
Now that you mention it, I don't know. I think I mis read the name. I saw it posted on RSB.

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 07:33 PM
You are right Da.

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 07:36 PM

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 07:42 PM
He lost all Creditability with what he said about Dennis. Dennis's work is as clean as it gets. As far as collectable. If he thinks it is average. Why is he asking $1900. for a plain cue by Dennis.

SPetty
08-25-2002, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> Now that you mention it, I don't know. I think I mis read the name. I saw it posted on RSB. <hr></blockquote>Hi Q-guy,

Remember, as a registered poster, you can go back and change any post that you make. (There's a time limit, but it seems generous enough.) Go to the original and click the "Edit" button. You can then correct the name so that people won't think that you're diss'ing Grady... Unless, of course, you want them to think that.

Q-guy
08-25-2002, 08:24 AM
Done, Thanks

Voodoo Daddy
08-25-2002, 04:56 PM
We know what comes out of Florida is no less than perfection Q-Guy...between yourself, Dennis Searing, Omen {Pete Ohman}, Harry Richards, Mace {Rick Howard}, Bob Manzino, Paul Dayton, Rick Showman, Chris Nitti, Wayne Gunn, Mike Sigel, the great Rocky Tillis {RIP} and case makers Jay Flowers, Jack Justis and Dan Whitten...'nuff said about Florida!!

ted harris
08-25-2002, 05:05 PM
It's not a plain cue as you can see by the picture. It has four points with veneers, and a Rambow style butt plate. It also has the distinction of being Buddy Halls former cue. That's why!

Q-guy
08-25-2002, 07:14 PM
I would consider a cue with those appointments not to be a $1900. cue unless a good part of it's value was due to being collectable. I thought it contradicted his own rating of Dennis. The fact that he made it for Buddy I don't think adds much to it's value. Maybe if he won major tournaments with it, owned it for years, and it was his prized cue, then yes. The fact that he owned it for a brief time and sold it, then no. The author says of Dennis, and I quote, "Searing is a decent cuemaker with potential." Not a real indorsement of the cuemaker. But of course since the cue belongs to him, he wants $1900. for it. He should really can that rating section of his website. It is too subjective. I believe he has even changed some of the ratings because he got some heat I suppose. If he believes what he wrote he should stick by his guns.

08-25-2002, 09:06 PM
WOW... Ginacue rates less than Meucci for playability. Maybe Ernie Gutierrez should get some red dot shafts for his cues? .....Not
Here are some great examples of Gina's at classiccues.com

http://www.classiccues.com/cues/ginacue.htm

08-25-2002, 09:50 PM
is it possible to make a similar table on this chat board and let everyone grade the cue entries by the same categories. something by way of the poll

Alfie
08-26-2002, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> We know what comes out of Florida is no less than perfection Q-Guy...between yourself, Dennis Searing, Omen {Pete Ohman}, [...]<hr></blockquote> I've never heard of Q-Guy cues.

Voodoo Daddy
08-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Thats a shame Alfie...he makes the best IMO the BEST jump cue on the planet, been doing it for years.

SPetty
08-26-2002, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>...he makes the best IMO the BEST jump cue on the planet, been doing it for years. <hr></blockquote>Hi Voodoo, I mean Big Poppa,

If I wanted to buy the BEST jump cue on the planet, what cuemaker do you recommend? Is there a web site to visit? How would I contact him? What do I need to do to buy the best jump cue on the planet?

Voodoo Daddy
08-26-2002, 03:20 PM
Susan...its Q-Guy. Just leave him a private messege and he will do the right thing. He is a great guy with tons of knowledge...and he makes the BEST Jump-cue on the planet...so says Voodoo!!

ted harris
08-27-2002, 12:59 PM
Last I remember, Buddy and Steve Mizerak where in Dennis Searing's booth two years ago at the US Open right by the front door. And Buddy did use the cue for quite a while, until he signed with Lucasi, and got paid what must be large amount of money to do so. And if you question the value of Dennis' cues, just ask Buddy who's shafts he uses on his cue?

Q-guy
08-27-2002, 01:17 PM
I highly indorse Dennis's cues. That was why I thought what the guy wrote about him was wrong. He even went as far as to insult Dennis in the info about the cue on his website and gave his service one star.

08-27-2002, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> I highly indorse Dennis's cues. That was why I thought what the guy wrote about him was wrong. He even went as far as to insult Dennis in the info about the cue on his website and gave his service one star. <hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure its an insult with respect to Dennis's service since a one-star rating is an "OK" rating. I live out in California and finding a player out here who uses a Searing cue is like winning the lottery. I went to Chalkers in San Francisco to hit with the two Searings they have for sale and they hit great and the construction and workmanship were solid and very good (both cues were plain 4 pointers with no veneers). I came away sufficiently impressed that I tried to order a cue from him to play with. After numerous attempts to contact him, I finally got to speak with Dennis once. We spoke for 5 minutes about what I wanted and then Dennis promised to call me back after I e-mailed him my final specs. I emailed him, and then I never heard back from him again (even after numerous attempts to re-contact him by phone and e-mail). I left emails and left voicemails. Nothing worked.

So it probably means that he is swamped with work. But its not right to leave a person hanging like that.

With respect to playability, i think Greg Matthew's rating is about right (just a tad below the Southwests, Herceks, and Tascarellas I've shot with). Its a very subjective measure anyway and varies from cue to cue (and player to player). There are many players would prefer his cues in terms of playability over the ones I mentioned above.

In terms of collectibility, I think that for Dennis's cues, its a very hard thing to quantify since there appears to a large variation in the demand for his cues depending on where you are in this country and the world. Out on the East Coast, there aren't enough of them to go around. Here in the West Coast, I haven't found anyone playing with them. Overseas (in Japan), Dennis's cues are definitely not as in demand as, for example, Tad, Hercek, Prewitt and Lambros cues.

I suspect, however, that this will change for the better if Dennis continues to make outstanding cues and significantly improves his business practices.

Still, I hope he calls me one of these days........

Q-guy
08-27-2002, 08:52 PM
I haven't been to his shop in a long time but it was a hang out for pool players the last time I was there. He never gets any work done. He needs to throw them out and just lock the door. He is too nice for his own good. A lot of cuemakers don't like people coming to their shops, not because they have anything to hide. But they are working and when someone comes by to get a tip or something it severely cuts into their work day. Especially if they can't get the hint and leave. It is a real problem. Hours need to be set to see customers. When you are working your mind is focused and if you keep getting interrupted it becomes impossible.

Kato
08-27-2002, 09:09 PM
Right now my Helmstetter is in Dennis's shop getting the rings on my Predator shaft, he's always done me right. I'll tell you this though, Voodoo's got a Searing that has magic in it, that's no lie.

Kato

08-27-2002, 10:46 PM
His ratings are a joke. The guy is clueless. Knows very little about cues. Calls up other cue dealers for advice. A " C " player at best! He is a real joke. And the word is that he is a shady character. Untrustworthy, unprofessional.... Other than that he is an ok guy to deal with

ted harris
08-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Hey anonymous,
Are you talking about Greg Matthews?

10-06-2002, 02:22 AM
yes greg matthews is a used car ( cue) salesman in all his shady practices I am not talking about Grady

Chris Cass
10-06-2002, 08:34 AM
Hi Q-Guy,

I've been to his site a few times to checkout the cues. I got a kick out of his ratings of cues. Although my South West is high up on his list. This guy isn't a player or I haven't seen his name in any top pro events. I doubt he has any professional credentials to make him an authority on fine cues.

So, I assume this is his own conjecture. I seriously doubt he even knows any of the master cue makers personally. Just some guy that invested alittle money into cues and gives his 2 cents on his cue sales. Kinda like a John Wright. Oops, did I say that? Well, I will say atleast John had a chance to see David K. in person as he helped set up the Omega line. That I'll give him.

Regards,

C.C.~~glad to see, a Q-Guy post again.

10-06-2002, 06:20 PM
Interesting development........his ratings page is down and can no longer be accessed. It was weird anyway, the way it changed every day or so. But at least it was a good attempt at trying to do a "consumer reports" type of thing.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> Check this out, interesting.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cuecollector.com/reference/ratings.htm>http://www.cuecollector.com/reference/ratings.htm</a> <hr></blockquote>

10-06-2002, 08:50 PM
with a subjective grading system. everyone has different tastes. if this guy is going to catagorize all this stuff, his effort is wasted when he sums everything up for a "total score". he's better off leaving each catagory unto itself if he wants to diddle with this info.

10-09-2002, 11:51 AM
chris,
nice to here you still have your south west cue. the good old times at harold's trying to get action at 4:00 am in the morning. now for the real reason i posted this,

i've been all over the usa and have sold, brokered, traded some the most collectable cues ever made and i find it very hard to list the makers in a top ten list as greg has. i was one of the first to contact a couple of guys ( joe gold, bill schick, bill stroud ) about this guy who claims he's expert on cues.

i ask my follow cue broker, trader, sales person, who made you an authority on cues? have you travled by invaiation to the most important country in the world that houses some of the greatest cues ever made? maybe you took up some t.v. time and had gus' unfinished cue on national television, or craig's only five point cue he made or the tribute to my dad cue from barry. how about 3/4's of a page of free marketing space in maxium magazine.

i guess i should stop here, i wouldn't what anyone upset with me for rambling on and on.

final note: i was told that barry szamboti called and asked to be removed from the rankings of this rating system for he felt that it wasn't warranted for him to be on such a list. BARRY, I TIP MY HAT TO YOU SIR!!!!

Barry
10-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Greg Mathews tried to supply a service to people.
Good or bad he tried, give him credit for that.

Barry
10-22-2002, 10:25 PM
My name is Barry Szamboti,
I would like to say that Greg Matthews was suppling a service to people. He is not a dealer of mine, sa I have no dealers. Greg Mathews simply wanted to help pople.
I apprieciate the vote of confidence of such a high grade
but I feel he is doing this for the general public.

Chris Cass
10-22-2002, 10:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuesmart:</font><hr> chris,
nice to here you still have your south west cue. the good old times at harold's trying to get action at 4:00 am in the morning. <hr></blockquote>

Hi Cuesmart,

This totally blew me away. Who is this? Only someone that knows me personally would have this information. It's all true and now I'll be scratching my head for days, maybe weeks? I was attending school at that time in my life getting my A.A.S. in electronics technology at DeVry Institute of Technology. Wasting time playing 6 pocket, till action presented itself. Whitey Walker, Snake, Mark H., Bobby H., Harold of course, Eric, rocketman, Jamie Ferrel and a ton of others. Those were some good times and I'll remember them. Playing golf, putting between the tables for a buck a game. WOW, that was neat. I wish I knew who this was but I won't pry.

IMHO, Gus Szamboti is a fine cuemaker and that runs in the family.

Regards,

C.C.~~soaking his fizzeled brain.