PDA

View Full Version : 9 ball rack? Placement of balls in the rack

StLSteve
08-24-2002, 08:31 PM
Hi, Is there a standard for where the balls should be in a 9 ball rack? Or is it just random (other than the 1 and 9). I don't remember ever hearing anything about it. Thanks for any replies

Troy
08-24-2002, 08:46 PM
Aside from the position of the 1 & 9, the balls are random.

See www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com) "Rule 5.2 RACKING THE BALLS
The object balls are racked in a diamond shape, with the 1-ball at the top of the diamond and on the foot spot, the 9-ball in the center of the diamond, and the other balls in random order, racked as tightly as possible."

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: StLSteve:</font><hr> Hi, Is there a standard for where the balls should be in a 9 ball rack? Or is it just random (other than the 1 and 9). I don't remember ever hearing anything about it. Thanks for any replies <hr></blockquote>

PQQLK9
08-24-2002, 08:52 PM
START(
%AN7O5%BK6O9%CM8N7%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK5N7%GJ6O6%HL5P6%I L7O4%Pg9V9

)END
I try to seperate the 1 from the 2...wing balls generally go on the break...

Karatemom
08-24-2002, 11:50 PM
START(
%AN7O5%BK6O9%CM8N7%DK6N7%EM7P1%FL7N1%GL6P7%HJ6O4%I L7O4%Pg9V9

)END

Basically the same as PQQLK9, however, I try to separate all the balls from the next consecutive ball, if that makes any sense. This way, the 1 and 2 are at opposite ends of the table, the 2 is away from the 3, and so on. However, if your opponent is making particular balls on the break, assuming it's not rack your own, you switch it around to benefit yourself.

I suppose that there are millions of different ways to rack depending on your game and your opponents game. This is just how I normally rack.

JMHO

Heide

NH_Steve
08-25-2002, 05:20 AM
'Course that's easy to remedy... Just rack nice and tight, but slightly roll the two balls behind the nine with your thumbs (6&amp;2 in your diagram), to 'accidentally' create a slight space between those two balls /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Make sure the rack is still nice &amp; tight, wouldn't want to give your opponent a 'slug' /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Not that I or any other CCB'er would ever stoop to such tactics /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-25-2002, 06:01 AM
The rule is clear (see Troy's reply to your post).

For a very informative discussion of "strategic" (i.e. illegal) racking in 9-ball, see Rack Up Wins, by Ronn Nadeau, in the May 2002 issue of Pool &amp; Billiard Magazine.

If you can't find Nadeau's article, try this experiment: Rack the nine balls in numerical order from head position to foot position, break using your usual break stroke, and observe each ball's final position. Repeat these steps until you see a clear relationship between position in the rack and position following the break for each ball.

A pattern really does develop if your break stroke is reasonably consistent, and it's very useful to know what it is.

Whisper Thaler