PDA

View Full Version : Shooting well against Myself and no pressure

KellyStick
06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
So we are taking a break from League pool. It just can be a hassle with work and late nights and trying to get enough to show up so we don't forfeit at times etc.

So we are outa league now. I find my shooting to be different.

I throw the balls on the table and, without the pressure of practicing well or shooting well to win later that.., at times, more often than before perhaps... I can run out and shoot with a bit of focused but relaxed sort of abandon that eluded me at times during league play. Or I was distracted in some slight and subtle way during league...??? This is not a delusion as I rarely... lately have a full inning to beat the table.

On the other hand my subtle defense is a bit lacking.

I guess my question is what observations have you all had about your game when you have backed off from regular conpetition but still played on your own?

Bambu
06-09-2010, 07:32 AM
If you werent also practicing during league play, you lost some opportunity to improve. Personally, my practice habits suck because I dont practice much.....but I know what I should be doing.

In practice people always have the benefit of the do-over. Sometimes you set up a shot you missed, take it again, and miss again the same exact way. When that happens, you have found something very valuable. Master that particular shot, and you have improved your game. You cant do that anywhere else but practice.

Fran Crimi
06-09-2010, 09:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KellyStick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess my question is what observations have you all had about your game when you have backed off from regular conpetition but still played on your own?

</div></div>

Here's what I've found:

There's a certain amount of tension that comes with competition that can't be denied, that is, unless you're a Buddhist monk where you have spent a lifetime conditioning yourself.

That tension in competition brings out the best of us at times and sometimes it brings out the worst in us. I have experienced some of my best moments and some of my worst in competition.

When we're just playing for the sake of playing, we can easily fall into the trap of wondering why we don't play like this when we compete. It's nice to be able to play knowing that there are no consequences if you make a mistake. Like I said before, you'd have to spend a lifetime working at it to develop that midset for competitive play.

For me, I've learned to accept the tension as part of competition and try to refocus it in a positive way when it starts to turn negative.

wolfdancer
06-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Fran, I read something along those lines many years ago...without competition, there is no penalty for missing. One needs to balance practice with real competition.
There are competitive way to practice, using one of the many scoring systems out there, but nothing beats entering a tournament....for me.I gave up matching up for $$...I'm as bad a winner as I am a loser.

Fran Crimi
06-10-2010, 12:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....for me.I gave up matching up for $$...I'm as bad a winner as I am a loser.</div></div>

Ha! That's pretty funny. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Who's that character who just can't win no matter what he does --- Ziggy?

Qtec
06-11-2010, 07:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess my question is what observations have you all had about your game when you have backed off from regular conpetition but still played on your own? </div></div>

I think this is the question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I can run out and shoot with a bit of focused but relaxed sort of abandon that eluded me at times during league play. <u>Or I was distracted in some slight and subtle way during league</u>...??? </div></div>

Duh. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

If you make a ball on the break and the 1Ball is hanging on the pocket, are you thinking about winning or how to get to the 2?

Q

Qtec
06-11-2010, 07:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When we're just playing for the sake of playing, we can easily fall into the trap of wondering why we don't play like this when we compete. It's nice to be able to play knowing that there are no consequences if you make a mistake. Like I said before, you'd have to spend a lifetime working at it to develop that midset for competitive play.

<u>For me, I've learned to accept the tension as part of competition and try to refocus it in a positive way when it starts to turn negative. </u></div></div>

Said it better than I could.

I agree.

Q

Fran Crimi
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks, Q. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
06-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Q, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances that may slightly impair one's concentration, thus affecting one's ability to play up to one's normal ability level.
Take yesterday for example...I played in an afternoon tournament at a bar that is normally packed, and the usual crowd was augmented by the 150 motorcyclists that had decided this was a good watering hole, and none of them, were pool players. They not only were in the playing area, but leaning against the tables, oblivious to the fact that the tables were not just there to set drinks on.
Then to add to the day's fun, I played in a pool tournament last night. It didn't matter how bad the other was was missing....I would be hooked afterwards. I even stopped in a bakery shp on the way home, and turned out......they were out of rolls, also.

Qtec
06-13-2010, 09:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, Q. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Hi Fran, here are two videos that put pressure in pool into perspective and I think answer the poster's Q.
I don't think either of these guys would still be alive if they were thinking about the finish line/winning. It looks to me like they are in the moment. I also think both are acutely aware that a mistake could cost them their life.

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z_mhRoqG2E)

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2WfFS-j8so)

Qtec.

Fran Crimi
06-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Yikes. Apparently the rock climber eventually did fall and die at another time according to one of the responses written below the video.

The guy on the bike is just plain crazy. He needs therapy.

KellyStick
06-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Not sure I buy the total authenticity of the rock climber. Making leaps to hard to see crags seems a bit off. Some of the physics looks a bit challenged. Tho I could be wrong. If the guy actually dies later as Fran says then may it is true. Regardless the point is made. Pool is a game and if you lose you don't die. Tho I have practiced where I pretend the Devil takes a life on every miss that I make and I have a set number of lives to save. Why the Devil is making me play for lives... I dunno...

Fran Crimi
06-16-2010, 06:50 AM
My friend Gene Nagy once offered anyone to play him Russian Roulette Pool. The loser of each game has to take a shot at himself using a gun with one bullet. Strangely enough, nobody ever took him up on the bet. But I digress...True story, though.