PDA

View Full Version : Jobs Showing Signs of Recovery

Gayle in MD
06-09-2010, 09:32 AM
One sign of better economic times is when more people start finding jobs. Another is when they feel confident enough to quit them.

More people quit their jobs in the past three months than were laid off a sharp reversal after 15 straight months in which layoffs exceeded voluntary departures. The trend suggests the job market is finally thawing.

Some of the quitters are leaving for new jobs. Others have no firm offers. But their newfound confidence about landing work is itself evidence of more hiring and a strengthening economy.

"There is a century's worth of evidence that bears out this view that quits rise and layoffs fall as the job market improves," said Steven Davis, an economist at the University of Chicago.

Still, the number of people quitting their jobs is nowhere near what it was before the recession. Economists expect the improvement in the job market to be fitful, rather than consistent. In May, for example, private employers added only 41,000 net jobs after adding 218,000 in April.

Yet the long-term trend points to an improving job market. The economy has created a net 982,000 jobs this year after a recession that wiped out more than 8 million of them.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'> OMG, Bush's deep recession wiped out 8 million jobs! Amazing we are showing many sings of revcovery given the devastation he left in his wake! </span>

The government said Tuesday that the number of people quitting rose in April to nearly 2 million. That was the most in more than a year and an increase of nearly 12 percent since January. That compares with 1.75 million people who were laid off in April, the fewest since January 2007, before the recession began.

During the depths of the recession, workers were hesitant to quit and not only because jobs were scarce. Even if they found a new job, some feared that accepting it would leave them vulnerable to a layoff. At many companies, layoffs follow a simple formula: Last hired, first fired.

Many clung to their jobs out of fear, said David Adams, vice president of training at Adecco, a national staffing agency. When Adecco tried to recruit workers to fill open positions, it frequently ran into the same obstacle: Few workers felt like betting on a new job that might soon disappear

Not so much any more. Adecco is seeing more employed workers seeking interviews, rather than laid off workers searching for a lifeline.

"The hangover is kind of over," Adams said. "It's really starting to move toward a market where the employee can have a lot more confidence making a move."

That's why Katie Charland just quit her job at a parenting magazine in Phoenix to take a position with a nonprofit that supplies children's educational programs.

Charland, 27, says the position is a dream job. Still, it carries a cost: She's abandoning seniority at her old job. But she thinks the economy is expanding enough that her company will be able to attract state and corporate funding.

"I don't see leaving my current job to pursue this as a risk," Charland says. "I do feel like the economy is getting better, and there's more opportunity out there."

Such optimism was rare in 2008 and 2009, when employers cut more than 8 million jobs, sending the unemployment rate to a 26-year high of 10.1 percent. The number of people who quit fell 40 percent to 1.72 million in September 2009. That was the fewest since the government began tracking the data in 2000. It was down from nearly 2.9 million in December 2007, when the recession began.

Studies have shown that worker morale fell during the recession. Productivity rose as companies squeezed more work out of their employees. That points to a reason quits may keep rising: Overworked employees could jump at the chance to switch jobs as new opportunities arise.

"There is going to be a mass exodus of the top performers as the economy starts to turn around," predicts Razor Suleman, a consultant who helps companies retain their best workers.

About 25 percent of companies' top performers said they plan to leave their current job within a year, according to a survey published in the May edition of the Harvard Business Review. By contrast, in 2006, just 10 percent planned to leave their jobs within a year. The survey questioned 20,000 workers who were identified by their employers as "high potential."

Companies retained those workers during the recession but heaped more work on them, said Jean Martin, the study's co-author and executive director of the Corporate Executive Board's Corporate Leadership Council in Washington. At the same time, employers cut back on awards and bonuses, she said.

Now, top performers at some companies are heading for the exits as hiring picks up. It means companies will feel more pressure to retain them.

"These rising stars know what they're worth," Martin said. "They feel somewhat neglected."

Phil Edelstein can attest to that. He spent two years on his first job at an advertising agency gaining more responsibility but no pay raises.

Edelstein, 25, worked for an agency in Philadelphia that was stretching its budget as clients cut back their spending. After researching clients' brand names and marketing strategies, he moved on to directing study projects.

Bosses kept promising a pay raise commensurate with his workload. It never came.

"There's this intense frustration that comes with that, because you basically feel like you have no control over how much money you're making and how much work you do," he said.

Edelstein hung tight through 2009 as the economy shed jobs. But this year he began sending out resumes to other ad agencies. Then a prospective client called. The CEO of a Colorado-based tea maker needed a marketing director. Edelstein didn't need long to say yes.

"It felt good, because I was initiating the change," he said.

More people are now taking a leap that few dared just a few months ago: Quitting without a new job waiting. The improving economy has given them confidence.

Robert Dixon is among them. He was consulting with companies doing business in China, helping them establish supply chains with factories there. But he tired of spending weeks at a time away from his wife in Massachusetts. So in May he quit without a backup plan.

"Somebody the other day said to me I was the first person they'd met who quit a good-paying job without another one to go to," Dixon said. "I know there are other companies out there. I just need to find them."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/09/more-employees-quit-their_n_605656.html

LWW
06-09-2010, 09:35 AM
That was funny.

LWW

pooltchr
06-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Only a lefty could point toward people quitting jobs as being a sign of a good economy!

Locally, our county just announced layoffs for 539 teachers in the public school system, and closing at least 10 schools.

I'm sure they would agree that the job market is getting better!

Steve

LWW
06-09-2010, 10:20 AM
They are the same people who believe that if you hire new federal temp workers and fire them at the end of training so you can rehire them the next week ... that you created a net of 2 new jobs for each temp worker hired and thereby have economic prosperity.

It is impossible to reason with such people as their entire existence consists of awaiting the next spoonful of "TRUTH" from the party.

LWW

eg8r
06-09-2010, 10:38 AM
I have a neighbor that thinks just like you gayle. Ever since he quit his job a few months ago his entire outlook on the economy has gotten better. He now no longer has to get up every morning before the sun to race off to his job. He doesn't have to pay his credit card debt, he doesn't have to make his car payments or his mortgage payments either. He is basically living for free and he is thanking Obama every day for it. He said this is the only economy in his life where he did not have to work and could have whatever he wanted for free.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-09-2010, 10:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a neighbor that thinks just like you gayle. Ever since he quit his job a few months ago his entire outlook on the economy has gotten better. He now no longer has to get up every morning before the sun to race off to his job. He doesn't have to pay his credit card debt, he doesn't have to make his car payments or his mortgage payments either. He is basically living for free and he is thanking Obama every day for it. He said this is the only economy in his life where he did not have to work and could have whatever he wanted for free.

eg8r </div></div>

First of all, you obviously didn't read the quoted material, AGAIN. Secondly, I don't think like your neighbor....I've been working since I was twelve years old, and I'm STILL working, not because I have to, but because I enjoy working.

Finally, nothing you wrote has anything at all to do with this thread, as usual.

G.

eg8r
06-09-2010, 11:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all, you obviously didn't read the quoted material, AGAIN. Secondly, I don't think like your neighbor....I've been working since I was twelve years old, and I'm STILL working, not because I have to, but because I enjoy working.</div></div>Sure you do. You think the economy is getting better and he is actually living it. You two are peas in a pod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, nothing you wrote has anything at all to do with this thread, as usual.</div></div>I was following your lead from the thread about limbaugh. Why would you take issue with me copying your actions? You should be flattered someone would even take the time.

The point of my post is to let you know that the economy is not as rosy as your cherry-picking articles might lead one to believe.

eg8r

jimmyg
06-09-2010, 11:21 AM
OP!

Do you not know better, or do you simply choose to be part of the Obama Ministry Of Propaganda machine?

Either way, it doean't look good on your resume.

Jim

Gayle in MD
06-09-2010, 11:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all, you obviously didn't read the quoted material, AGAIN. Secondly, I don't think like your neighbor....I've been working since I was twelve years old, and I'm STILL working, not because I have to, but because I enjoy working.</div></div>Sure you do. You think the economy is getting better and he is actually living it. You two are peas in a pod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, nothing you wrote has anything at all to do with this thread, as usual.</div></div>I was following your lead from the thread about limbaugh. Why would you take issue with me copying your actions? You should be flattered someone would even take the time.

The point of my post is to let you know that the economy is not as rosy as your cherry-picking articles might lead one to believe.

eg8r </div></div>

Go follow your own lead, read my thread about wind farms, and note how you completely changed the subject over to a lie you told about the "Kennedy's" A complete lie!

G.

eg8r
06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go follow your own lead, read my thread about wind farms, and note how you completely changed the subject over to a lie you told about the "Kennedy's" A complete lie!</div></div>There was no lie. RFK Jr and Uncle Ted both were dead set against the wind farm and fought tooth and nail. I am happy to say they lost and I LOVE to see a Kennedy fail.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go follow your own lead, read my thread about wind farms, and note how you completely changed the subject over to a lie you told about the "Kennedy's" A complete lie!</div></div>There was no lie. RFK Jr and Uncle Ted both were dead set against the wind farm and fought tooth and nail. I am happy to say they lost and I LOVE to see a Kennedy fail.

eg8r </div></div>

another lie. They were not against the wind farm, they were against the location of the wind farm, and said all along that they supported wind farms, just not where they would costs jobs and local revenue.

Another lie! Hope you'e going to go to church this week, oh, and have another "Men's Meeting" while you're there, you really need one.

G&gt;

LWW
06-09-2010, 11:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go follow your own lead, read my thread about wind farms, and note how you completely changed the subject over to a lie you told about the "Kennedy's" A complete lie!</div></div>There was no lie. RFK Jr and Uncle Ted both were dead set against the wind farm and fought tooth and nail. I am happy to say they lost and I LOVE to see a Kennedy fail.

eg8r </div></div>

Words like "TRUTH" and "LIE" are both not only malleable but interchangeable to the Obamatronic mind.

They only have a hard meaning once the party gives them that hard meaning ... and even then it is subject to immediate change without question.

LWW

LWW
06-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Welcome aboard James.

LWW

eg8r
06-09-2010, 11:57 AM
LOL, they absolutely were against the law and RFK Jr taking a page from his uncle was looking for any possible way to make his hypocritical ways stick. They do support wind farms, just not in the view of their house. LOL, also it would not cost any jobs but actually create new ones.

eg8r &lt;~~~love pointing out gayle's partisanship and watching the Kennedy's lose

Gayle in MD
06-09-2010, 12:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, they absolutely were against the law and RFK Jr taking a page from his uncle was looking for any possible way to make his hypocritical ways stick. They do support wind farms, just not in the view of their house. LOL, also it would not cost any jobs but actually create new ones.

eg8r &lt;~~~love pointing out gayle's partisanship and watching the Kennedy's lose </div></div>

That is a tourist area, and a very important commercial fishing spot.

You are just full of it Ed, you're twising the truth, and then you want to argue about your incorrect statements.

Now, stop changing the subject, I don't care about your neighbor, which has nothing at all to do with this thread anyway....this thread is about people feeling confident enough about the economy, to change jobs. A good sign. then you go totally off subject, while criticizing me for going off subject.

SHEESH!

Either stay on the subject, or get off the thread entirely.

G.

eg8r
06-09-2010, 12:07 PM
What subject am I changing? I just keep responding to your posts. Actually I believe it was your second post to me in this thread where you foolishly brought up the Kennedy's. I just followed your lead. If you are foolish enough to bring up a subject that you know nothing about then I will chat about. If you want I will quote the timeline for you to see that this discussion is your own doing.

I already mentioned in this thread that the economy is not as rosy as your cherry-picked article would lead people to believe.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-09-2010, 12:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What subject am I changing? I just keep responding to your posts. Actually I believe it was your second post to me in this thread where you foolishly brought up the Kennedy's.

<span style="color: #000066"> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>YOU brought up your neighbor!!! Get real! </span> </span>

I just followed your lead. If you are foolish enough to bring up a subject that you know nothing about then I will chat about. If you want I will quote the timeline for you to see that this discussion is your own doing.

I already mentioned in this thread that the economy is not as rosy as your cherry-picked article would lead people to believe.

eg8r </div></div>

I don't care about your opinion of my posted information, which wasn't cherry picking at all.

I actually THOUGHT everyone on here would be happy for some good news about the economy, but I forgot, the right wants Obama and the country to fail.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

pooltchr
06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I actually THOUGHT everyone on here would be happy for some good news about the economy, but I forgot, the right wants Obama and the country to fail.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

</div></div>

Try and get your facts straight. We want Obama to fail, so that the country can survive!!!!

Steve

eg8r
06-09-2010, 01:44 PM
I would like some good news but should't it be that, good news? You didn't do that. Signs of recovery are NOT jobs opened by the government to fill Census worker positions that are part time and post those as viable jobs. What happens when they go away? Will you be just as quick to post about the unemployment rising?

eg8r

eg8r
06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I did not change the subject with my neighbor so quit being foolish. He is one of those people that quit his job and your author is posting it as a "sign of recovery". My neighbor isn't the only one to quit a job to let Obama pay his mortgage, there are thousands doing the same thing. Believe my neighbor is not bright enough to come up with that on his own.

Also, just because you mistakenly thought I changed the subject you decided to bring up the Kennedy's. Sorry but that was your fault brought on by you alone.

eg8r

Deeman3
06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Did you hear that they are hiring and firing and rehiring census workers so they can count ech time they are re-hired as a new hore? Unbeleiveable!

Sev
06-09-2010, 02:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go follow your own lead, read my thread about wind farms, and note how you completely changed the subject over to a lie you told about the "Kennedy's" A complete lie!</div></div>There was no lie. RFK Jr and Uncle Ted both were dead set against the wind farm and fought tooth and nail. I am happy to say they lost and I LOVE to see a Kennedy fail.

eg8r </div></div>

another lie. They were not against the wind farm, they were against the location of the wind farm, and said all along that they supported wind farms, just not where they would costs jobs and local revenue.

Another lie! Hope you'e going to go to church this week, oh, and have another "Men's Meeting" while you're there, you really need one.

G&gt; </div></div>

Basically not in my backyard. But fine anywhere else. Elitism at its best.

LWW
06-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Exactly ... the left always wants "SOMEONE" to "DO SOMETHING" but never actually wants to be the someone doing it.

LWW

eg8r
06-09-2010, 03:35 PM
I read something about it. I don't know who to believe, but anyone right now trying to tell us it is getting better is just lying to themselves or living the high life with little exposure to real life America.

eg8r

LWW
06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read something about it. I don't know who to believe, but anyone right now trying to tell us it is getting better is just lying to themselves or living the high life with little exposure to real life America.

eg8r </div></div>

Or being told what they "BELIEVE" to be the "TRUTH" and then simply parroting it to the world.

The OP reminded me of a part of the novel "1984" where everyone was allowed a chocolate ration of 30 gms per week ... and when the party announced the chocolate ration had been "INCREASED" to 20 grams they stood and cheered at the party's benevolence, and believed the "TRUTH" as delivered by party spoon without question.

Only such a brainwashed mentality could have viewed an 8 year administration which averaged a 5.25% UE rate and saw the great depression and then view a 10.0% UE rate and perceive it as budding prosperity.

Of course the same people saw a $500,000M deficit as back breaking and then see a $1,800,000M deficit and perceive fiscal responsibility.

Political solutions become very difficult when 25% +/- of the electorate is functionally illiterate to what is actually happening.

LWW

Gayle in MD
06-09-2010, 07:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not change the subject with my neighbor so quit being foolish. He is one of those people that quit his job and your author is posting it as a "sign of recovery". My neighbor isn't the only one to quit a job to let Obama pay his mortgage, there are thousands doing the same thing. Believe my neighbor is not bright enough to come up with that on his own.

Also, just because you mistakenly thought I changed the subject you decided to bring up the Kennedy's. Sorry but that was your fault brought on by you alone.

eg8r </div></div>

The article wasn't about people quitting their jobs to stay hoome and loaf, it was about quitting one job for a better one, something people don't do unless they are feelng more confident about the economy, which was the whole thrust of the article.

Sorry it went over your head so much so, that you didn't even realize tht you were completely changing the subject.

G.

eg8r
06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Hahaha, whatever. Why did you bring up the Kennedy's?

eg8r