PDA

View Full Version : Do you talk the talk, or walk the walk?

LWW
06-09-2010, 10:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your estimated greenhouse gas emissions are 33 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) equivalent per year, which is below the U.S. national average of 53. </div></div>

&gt;&gt;&gt;CLICK HERE&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://www.nature.org/initiatives/climatechange/calculator/)

I'm curious to see who has the testicular/ovarian fortitude to take the test and post the results.

LWW

eg8r
06-09-2010, 10:43 AM
What this has to do with the types of fortitude you mention I have no idea however here are my results:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your estimated greenhouse gas emissions are 110 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) equivalent per year, which is above the U.S. national average.
</div></div> My business travel and multiple cars were the big drivers in my very elevated number.

EDIT: Actually, according to the graph on that website I am right in line with families of 4, so I guess I am not that bad. If I was not flying 15 to 20 times a year I guess I would be doing even better.

eg8r

Sev
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/Sevelli/Carbonfootprint3.jpg

I hate MSPaint.

Your estimated greenhouse gas emissions are 33 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) equivalent per year, which is below the U.S. national average.

To reduce your climate impact, there are many simple things you can change in your everyday behavior that will make a big difference in the fight to slow climate change:
Offset Your Carbon Footprint
Learn More about Nature Conservancy
Offsets
Read our Climate-Saving Tips
More Actions
Offsetting your carbon footprint with The Nature Conservancy will sequester carbon over the next 70 years. Learn more about the Conservancy's science-based carbon offsets program.

LWW
06-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Thank you both for participating.

Eg ... the point of the thread wasn't to belittle anyone for what they use.

The libertarian in me says that if you can afford it and want to use it go ahead.

The environmentalist in me says that walking with a softer eco footprint is the right thing for me to do.

The realist in me realizes that the Al Gores of the world are pimping environmentalists, such as myself, who don't stay up on things.

I do find it interesting who replied and who ran under the couch.

LWW

Sev
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Larry.
My house if completely electric. The only other utility I have is water.
Last month my electric bill was $55.00.

The house is completely reinsulated. All new doors and windows.
I will be installing hardboard insulation to the exterior. Over which will be going log siding. I expect to pick up another 8R total from that.
Last I have to Change the shingles from black to a tan roof. Thinking of going to standing seam.
While I am at it I will be adding an Additional R30 to the space between the ceiling and roof.
I am considering insulating the foundation as well.

LWW
06-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Quite cool my friend ... oddly our leftist friends who always want someone to "DO SOMETHING" have no interest in doing anything on their own.

That, IMHO, more than anything is the reason for the plethora of regs they demand ... they simply cannot fathom someone taking action without the bayonet of the state at their back.

To quote my friend Q ... what a bunch of hypocrites.

LWW

Sev
06-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I agree.
Another thing that I was considering is doing some solar or a wind turbine.
Considering my low electric cost I could actually make money on it if I am careful in how I spend.
I do have to check on the state incentives though as solar is no bargain to purchase. Also have to check on the green tags as well.

eg8r
06-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Before you do all of that you might want to consider the fact that you will probably never get all your money back. If you are truly only paying $55 bucks and that is during a month where you energy consumption is high then how much do you honestly think you will be saving. $5 at the most?

eg8r

LWW
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Solar is still a fantasy ... wind has some potential, but is highly unreliable unless a storage solution can be found.

The fact that we haven't pursued nuclear/hydro is simply mind boggling.

LWW

Sev
06-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Its a good point.
However the roof pitch is only 2 on 12 and the insulation currently in there is not enough to keep the roof heat from pushing into the house.
So without the extra insulation the cooling system will be working harder and be comparable heating in the winter time.
The insulation achieved from the siding is a bonus.

Remember I am a contractor and will be doing the work myself so there are no contractor cost. My only cost will be material only.

Stretch
06-09-2010, 07:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree.
Another thing that I was considering is doing some solar or a wind turbine.
Considering my low electric cost I could actually make money on it if I am careful in how I spend.
I do have to check on the state incentives though as solar is no bargain to purchase. Also have to check on the green tags as well. </div></div>

I commend you both for taking steps to be more responsible with your carbon footprint as they say. The real market for alternative energy i believe is in the private sector. Even if you can greatly reduce domestic power use that would make a huge associated difference in dependence on foriegn oil. The goal should be to get off the grid all together and if you can produce more than you can store you can sell it back to the utility.

Up North here heating costs are the killer. Fuel oil went through the roof so economical expediency forced us into insulation and building code standards and ways to save a buck for a loooong time now. For instance, the utility dosn't charge as much for power during non peak hours, so we do the laundry at night when the power is cheaper. If your going to be away for a while turn the hot water heater off. Why do you want to keep hot water hot when your gone? You turn the damn light off when your not in the room. Actually you shouldn't even pay for light, solar collectors can easly do that.

I heat with wood myself. At least it's a renewable resource and there's all kinds of hardwood here. Plus what i pay is a fraction of what a 200 gall tank of oil would cost, and that money stays local and keeps the wood lot owners in buisness. People here have been heating with wood for hundreds of years so we got it down.

Was on holidays last week. Me and the Brother in Law went down to his lake fishing. It's at the other end of his 45 acres, nice....So we arrive at the dock and he's got this paddle boat sitting there. I'm thinkin i aint sittin in no paddle boat paddlin around this lake fishin. But leave it to Glenn the paddle boat carried a large battery pack with a built in electric motor. All he did was plug it in to a solar panel he mounted up on a nearby tree to keep the boat charged and it silently zipped around the lake. The fishin was good too! I liked the fact that we didn't have to drag an outboard down there, make a racket, and pollute the water with gas and exhaust. But then i wouldn't expect anything less from ol Glenn who also has a solar powered pump that keeps a storage tank on the hill full that operates a gravety feed shower stall down there. If you need any systems that are solar related he's the man to talk to. He's been hammering away at that for years. Check him out at http://www.glenery.ca

Anyway, it just pisses me off when i reduce reuse recycle cut back use alternate energy only to see others blindly waist, spoil, trash, and mindlessly suck power and ruin the environment like there's no tomorrow. My concience is clear when it comes to responsible use of energy and i'm behind research and developement of alternative energy wherever it appears. St.

Stretch
06-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Sorry, that link is http://www.glenergy.ca

and yes, we walk the walk. St.

Sev
06-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Funny you should mention the water heater.
It is brand new. Though not installed by me.
I have that wrapped in insulation as well. I believe I have R25 as a total. I forgot to turn it on one day so it was off for 24 hours. However I jump in the shower and it was still quite hot.

Also 2 Januaries ago I forgot to turn it of when I came back to NY. So that was on as well as the heat(45 degrees) to keep the pipes from freezing. The utility bill was about 45.00 a month in a gutted empty house.
It probably would have been lower if all the coil strings in the electric furnace were working proplerly and the heat pump was at full charge.

I am looking into those Heatpump Waterheaters. However I am not sure that the current cost would net me substantial savings at this time.

Insollites collect and throw quite a bit of light. They can ligh up a house during a full moon as well. I Have installed many of them. Almost blinded my self once while installing one. Those dam things are highly reflective.

Another aspect that we are doing is farming our property and planning on canning our food. As we are on a hill I need to get and excavator in and dig a root cellar.
My current plan is to build it out of block and water proof and insullate it. Insulblocks may be an option as well. However I do it I would like it to be around R40 to keep the temps low and consistent. I may look into a solar operated refrigerent system at some point and see if I can build a walk in cooler that is completely off grid.
My current experimental garden is only 36x30 this year. What I would like to do is terrace the hill in 3 to 4 rows that are 8 feet wide and 100 feet long.
Curretnly the upper end of the garden gets afternoon shade. 2:30-3:00 oclock. If I change it to terraces I can bring the garden into a better possition so that is gets late afternoon to evening shade instead.

Thats a pretty cool boat your buddy has.

Stretch
06-10-2010, 08:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny you should mention the water heater.
I have that wrapped in insulation as well. I believe I have R25 as a total. I forgot to turn it on one day so it was off for 24 hours. However I jump in the shower and it was still quite hot.

Also 2 Januaries ago I forgot to turn it of when I came back to NY. So that was on as well as the heat(45 degrees) to keep the pipes from freezing. The utility bill was about 45.00 a month in a gutted empty house.
It probably would have been lower if all the coil strings in the electric furnace were working proplerly and the heat pump was at full charge.

I am looking into those Heatpump Waterheaters. However I am not sure that the current cost would net me substantial savings at this time.

Insollites collect and throw quite a bit of light. They can ligh up a house during a full moon as well. I Have installed many of them. Almost blinded my self once while installing one. Those dam things are highly reflective.

Another aspect that we are doing is farming our property and planning on canning our food. As we are on a hill I need to get and excavator in and dig a root cellar.
My current plan is to build it out of block and water proof and insullate it. Insulblocks may be an option as well. However I do it I would like it to be around R40 to keep the temps low and consistent. I may look into a solar operated refrigerent system at some point and see if I can build a walk in cooler that is completely off grid.
My current experimental garden is only 36x30 this year. What I would like to do is terrace the hill in 3 to 4 rows that are 8 feet wide and 100 feet long.
Curretnly the upper end of the garden gets afternoon shade. 2:30-3:00 oclock. If I change it to terraces I can bring the garden into a better possition so that is gets late afternoon to evening shade instead.

Thats a pretty cool boat your buddy has. </div></div>

Great work there Sev! Terracing is an ideal solution for utilizing hillsides especialy south faceing slopes. It also solves the problem of saveing rain water and effects due to errosion like loss of topsoil. You might like to try raised beds in your terracing venture. Sure saves on the back! My nieghbor has a 2 foot retaining wall along one side of his driveway and that is where he put his bean patch all along the edge. It's too easy to pick beans that way. Just reach in and pick at waist level. I've got 4 rain barrells hooked up under my roof gutter down spout with a garden house connected to gravity feed my garden. It works great and costs next to nothing. I don't need to use it often but when things get dry around August it sure is handy! Also i'm on a well so anytime i can get away without useing well water that's good.

You like Tomatos? Here's a great idea. Use some old car tires (who hasn't got them laying around) pack them with a nice rich soil mix with plenty of cow manure as tomatoes are heavy feeders and they love heat. Tires are like heat magnets and man do they grow tomatos. You'll be amazed! They also store water as anyone that got splashed picking one up that's been laying around outside knows. To me they are the perfect plant pot. St.

Deeman3
06-10-2010, 08:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm curious to see who has the testicular/ovarian fortitude to take the test and post the results.

LWW </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Nope, If this was a test I failed miserably. Even the 5 motorcycles won't help me in this situation. Hey. at least I'm well above average at something! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

Sev
06-10-2010, 10:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny you should mention the water heater.

Thats a pretty cool boat your buddy has. </div></div>

Great work there Sev! Terracing is an ideal solution for utilizing hillsides especialy south faceing slopes. It also solves the problem of saveing rain water and effects due to errosion like loss of topsoil. You might like to try raised beds in your terracing venture. Sure saves on the back! My nieghbor has a 2 foot retaining wall along one side of his driveway and that is where he put his bean patch all along the edge. It's too easy to pick beans that way. Just reach in and pick at waist level. I've got 4 rain barrells hooked up under my roof gutter down spout with a garden house connected to gravity feed my garden. It works great and costs next to nothing. I don't need to use it often but when things get dry around August it sure is handy! Also i'm on a well so anytime i can get away without useing well water that's good.

You like Tomatos? Here's a great idea. Use some old car tires (who hasn't got them laying around) pack them with a nice rich soil mix with plenty of cow manure as tomatoes are heavy feeders and they love heat. Tires are like heat magnets and man do they grow tomatos. You'll be amazed! They also store water as anyone that got splashed picking one up that's been laying around outside knows. To me they are the perfect plant pot. St.

</div></div>

I am looking into rain barrels as well. I want those big blue ones that hold a 100 gallons or better. I can line them up under the deck where they would be well hidden. I want to hook them in series so that when one overflows it drains into the next one.
I am debating if I should just keep them all level and hook them together with compression fittings with a valve between each. And or I could do a top overflow that pours into each consecutive barrel. With the barrels stepped down so that gravity would give me enough water pressure to run a hose. I would use a 2" compression fitting on each barrel to achieve good flow and a standard hose fitting on the end barrel.
Having a solar pump to increase pressure would be nice as well.

Which brings me to why I am considering a metal standing seam roof.
Of all things I have manciple water our in the woods. It is highly chlorinated. The additives tend to stunt plant growth. Also if I put a good filter system on it I would have pure drinking water. Companies like Amway make very highly rated water filter systems.

Raised beds are on the agenda was well. They give the added benefit of allowing you to plant earlier. I would like to use the recycled landscapers matting that I have seen to both hold the top soil and keep the weeds down. If I can get it in black for the beds that will warm the soil earlier in the season as well.

Also on the terracing I am thinking of doing a irrigation/drainage system for the water overrun. I was thinking of lining each terrace wall with perf pipe and wrapping the pipe in the landscapers mesh to keep it from plugging up and burying the pipe in gravel. Now if I can get the retaining wall at the right level I could potentially have more rain barrels. The lowest terrace would have drains that penetrate the retaining wall and would drain directly into the barrels.

Much to easy to pick the green beens that way. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Love tomato's and I do happen to have about 6 tires laying around from the previous owner. I may have to try that just to see if I can get a late planting on Tomato's this year.

This year we have string beans, peas, Tomato's of various varieties, potatoes, 2 varities of corn, radishes, carrots, pickling cukes, Giant pumpkins(for fun), String bean,snap peas and beats.

eg8r
06-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Lucky you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My father was never a DIY'er so I grew up with this idea that you just pay others to do the work. I hated having to ask for help to fix things when I bought my first home 11 years ago. Since then I have decided to start learning how to do things myself. I guess my only rule so far is to not mess with electricity. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Nothing else I have done can burn the house down though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I am thinking about piggy-backing a flourescent light in the garage off another light fixture but have been reluctant because I don't know if it is safe.

eg8r

eg8r
06-10-2010, 12:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyway, it just pisses me off when i reduce reuse recycle cut back use alternate energy only to see others blindly waist, spoil, trash, and mindlessly suck power and ruin the environment like there's no tomorrow. My concience is clear when it comes to responsible use of energy and i'm behind research and developement of alternative energy wherever it appears. St.
</div></div>Convenience is a terrible thing and something I need to work on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Sev
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucky you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My father was never a DIY'er so I grew up with this idea that you just pay others to do the work. I hated having to ask for help to fix things when I bought my first home 11 years ago. Since then I have decided to start learning how to do things myself. I guess my only rule so far is to not mess with electricity. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Nothing else I have done can burn the house down though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I am thinking about piggy-backing a flourescent light in the garage off another light fixture but have been reluctant because I don't know if it is safe.

eg8r </div></div>

Its safe enough. Shut the braker off first.
Then when you run the wire out of the florescent light that you install the Romex connector in one of the knockouts. Run your wire though it and tighten the screws.
Match all your wires up. Ergo White to white and so on. The ground wire will typically go to the green wire in the light or another bare copper wire.
When you connect the wires use the proper sized wire nuts. If you are still worried you cant go wrong in taping each nut with electrical tape.

For the light itself mount the electrical box properly and run your wire to it. If the box you are using is plastic generally speaking you will not need any type of connector. If it is metal you will.

When you run your wire from point A (Florescent light)to point B (new light) if you are going down a rafter by you should use electrical staples to hold the wire in place. If you are going across the bays you can either run the wires across the rafters or bore a 5/8" hole in all the rafters and run your line through there. The advantage in doing that is the line will never be in your way.

Your application in this instance is really quite simple and you should have no worries. Just take your time. Double check everything you are dong since your confidence level is not high yet.

Sev
06-11-2010, 07:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyway, it just pisses me off when i reduce reuse recycle cut back use alternate energy only to see others blindly waist, spoil, trash, and mindlessly suck power and ruin the environment like there's no tomorrow. My concience is clear when it comes to responsible use of energy and i'm behind research and developement of alternative energy wherever it appears. St.
</div></div>Convenience is a terrible thing and something I need to work on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

Actually in most cases it isn't even an inconvenience to conserve resources.
I had been doing much of what has been advocated about going green prior to the big push for it.
Much of it seemed like common sense to me. Especially if it comes to saving money.
Getting there is like most other things. 1 step at a time. Going for the gold in one step can be quite expensive.

LWW
06-11-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm shocked that none of our leftist members have posted their miniscule eco footprints?

LWW

eg8r
06-11-2010, 09:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually in most cases it isn't even an inconvenience to conserve resources. </div></div>Well, in my case it is. If I want to recycle plastic or paper I have to go out to my garage and put the stuff in the bin. If I just want to throw something out and not care about recycling I can just use the garbage can in my kitchen. Convenience is a terrible thing and laziness apparently is just compounding it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Another example, I have a 225 gallon salt water tank getting up and going and it has 3 250 watt metal halide bulbs with a magnetic ballast that just chews up electricity like it is no one's business. I could switch to a much smaller, cooler, and less power hungry electronic ballast but that costs additional funds. Convenience is a terrible thing.

I say this only because I find it terrible in the grand scheme of things but when in the moment "convenience" makes me happy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Sev
06-11-2010, 10:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually in most cases it isn't even an inconvenience to conserve resources. </div></div>Well, in my case it is. If I want to recycle plastic or paper I have to go out to my garage and put the stuff in the bin. If I just want to throw something out and not care about recycling I can just use the garbage can in my kitchen. Convenience is a terrible thing and laziness apparently is just compounding it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Another example, I have a 225 gallon salt water tank getting up and going and it has 3 250 watt metal halide bulbs with a magnetic ballast that just chews up electricity like it is no one's business. I could switch to a much smaller, cooler, and less power hungry electronic ballast but that costs additional funds. Convenience is a terrible thing.

I say this only because I find it terrible in the grand scheme of things but when in the moment "convenience" makes me happy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

HAHHAAHHA!!!
I hear ya. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Sev
06-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Hey Stretch.
The GF likes the tomato's in the tire idea. I will be trying it when I get back home at the end of the month.

LWW
06-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Did our Goremon friends miss the link?

Or were they out powerboating at 3 MPG and missed it?

LWW

Sev
06-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Its all talk.

LWW
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I blame Bush.

LWW

Sev
06-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Its probably more like a lack there of.

LWW
06-16-2010, 05:01 AM
I thinks theys skeered.

LWW

Sev
06-16-2010, 06:41 AM
They just cant stand the thought of actually failing to meet the carbon standard that has been set by who they consider the opposition.

LWW
06-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Yes ... those who always demand that SOMEBODY should do SOMETHING never seem to want to be anybody who does anything on their own volition.

A Freudian slip of the far left is that they demand things be done by the force of the state's bayonet because they lack the will to adjust their own behavior voluntarily and can't comprehend that their are people who can.

LWW