PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation: "Over The Cliff"

Gayle in MD
06-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Read an excerpt here: Over The Cliff: How Obama's Election Drove The American Right Insane

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0982417179/crooksandliar-20/ref=nosim/#reader_0982417179

pooltchr
06-14-2010, 11:34 AM
A most appropriate title for a book about where this administration is leading the country!

Steve

wolfdancer
06-14-2010, 11:43 AM
If the book as half as good as the review, I'll buy it:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">examine the torrent of right-wing kookery—the eager willingness of conservatives to fervently believe things that are provably false—and its ramifications both for our national discourse and our national well-being. The authors show how this outlandish, overheated rhetoric—generated by mainstream-media figures like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Lou Dobbs—is accompanied by a wave of lethal right-wing violence and threatening behavior.

The book explores the main drivers of this descent into madness: the extremist Radical Right and the longtime Republican willingness—dating back to Nixon, but refined in more recent years by Lee Atwater and his acolytes—to engage in a divisive politics of resentment, both racial and cultural. The authors also examine ways ordinary Americans can stop the madness.
</div></div>
As an "ordinary American" who like you, has been threatened by some right wing dipsh*ts, with the use of deadly force...after first being incapacitated and tortured with a stun gun.....
the ways we can stop these *****,short of carrying around a B.A.R. will be interesting.....or maybe just a...M84 stun grenade

Gayle in MD
06-14-2010, 12:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the book as half as good as the review, I'll buy it:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">examine the torrent of right-wing kookery—the eager willingness of conservatives to fervently believe things that are provably false—and its ramifications both for our national discourse and our national well-being. The authors show how this outlandish, overheated rhetoric—generated by mainstream-media figures like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Lou Dobbs—is accompanied by a wave of lethal right-wing violence and threatening behavior.

The book explores the main drivers of this descent into madness: the extremist Radical Right and the longtime Republican willingness—dating back to Nixon, but refined in more recent years by Lee Atwater and his acolytes—to engage in a divisive politics of resentment, both racial and cultural. The authors also examine ways ordinary Americans can stop the madness.
</div></div>
As an "ordinary American" who like you, has been threatened by some right wing dipsh*ts, with the use of deadly force...after first being incapacitated and tortured with a stun gun.....
the ways we can stop these *****,short of carrying around a B.A.R. will be interesting.....or maybe just a...M84 stun grenade
</div></div>

No question the nutty people that Republicans support and vote for, provide proof of Republican mental and emotional disorders, along with their traditional poor loser, sour grapes.

Politics is a dirty business, Republicans have always made it a filthy dirty business.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

wolfdancer
06-14-2010, 01:04 PM
This probably should be on the BP thread....but
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We also know that Bush stuffed agencies charged with overseeing our safety, like FEMA and the Mine Safety and Health Administration, with incompetent political cronies—nothing nuanced about that—and that under the Bush-Cheney rule of Big Oil the Minerals Management Service agency became a crew of corrupt, lethargic backscratchers signing off on egregious lapses in offshore drilling safety in return for the usual cheesy perks of the good ol’ boy business culture. (If you want a laugh, take a look at the picture in Rolling Stone this month of the now-former MMS associate director Chris Oynes. Even the most foaming liberal movie director would hesitate to cast this 300-pound Rush Limbaugh lookalike clamped in a necktie.) </div></div>
XXX (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-06-14/barack-obamas-gulf-spill-oval-office-speech/)

Gayle in MD
06-14-2010, 01:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This probably should be on the BP thread....but
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We also know that Bush stuffed agencies charged with overseeing our safety, like FEMA and the Mine Safety and Health Administration, with incompetent political cronies—nothing nuanced about that—and that under the Bush-Cheney rule of Big Oil the Minerals Management Service agency became a crew of corrupt, lethargic backscratchers signing off on egregious lapses in offshore drilling safety in return for the usual cheesy perks of the good ol’ boy business culture. (If you want a laugh, take a look at the picture in Rolling Stone this month of the now-former MMS associate director Chris Oynes. Even the most foaming liberal movie director would hesitate to cast this 300-pound Rush Limbaugh lookalike clamped in a necktie.) </div></div>
XXX (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-06-14/barack-obamas-gulf-spill-oval-office-speech/) </div></div>

Yeah, the Federal Government was basically completely dysfunctional for eight years. President Obama didn't only have to rebuild the economy, and finish two wars, but he had to rebuild the effectiveness and efficiency of the entire Federal Government, too.

I knew Bush would destroy this country. The American Oil Cartel/military Industrial Complex, running the country for eight years, and meanwhile, Republicans are still voting against climate change and renewables, while China is going forward in the solar, wind and renewable fields.

"Was is good for the economy" W....

So easy to say when you know none of your own will have to go and fight in it.

The communist Party is taking us from within, just as was always warned. Many of the Neocons were members of the Communist Party when they were in college.

Too bad that what used to be a free press, is now just more lapdogs for the Neocons and the Neoconned.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Anyone with any brain power knew this mess in the Gulf had no viable solutions. All of these nutjobs think it's so easy, it isn't. Where would they have put the oil, until there were tankers in the region? No point in skimming, when there is no place to put the oil.

I can't believe the ignroance I've seen on here these last weeks! Even I am shocked by it. Did they think we had a fleet of oil tankers just waiting around for an accident?

G.

pooltchr
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Have you sold your boat and cars yet?
If not, you are part of the problem.

Obama hasn't "fixed" anything. Not only is he continuing two wars thay you cried about for years, and now seem to completely ignore, he didn't close Gitmo, has totally failed to do anything to protect the gulf coast for two months, continues to support increasing taxes on the poor and middle class (I'm sorry, those aren't real taxes when they call them fees, are they?)

The economy is worse than ever, joblessness is worse now than when he was elected, stimulus didn't work, and he has passed the most expensive healthcare bill that will end up raising debt more than anything Bush did in his entire 8 years in office.

You are living in a fantasy world if you think Obama is good for the country.

Steve

Steve

Gayle in MD
06-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Stop stalking my posts. I don't read your stupid stuff anyway.

Cyberstalker!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

pooltchr
06-15-2010, 07:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stop stalking my posts. I don't read your stupid stuff anyway.

Cyberstalker!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif </div></div>

Stop making them!

Troll

Steve