PDA

View Full Version : More Lies From Palin

Gayle in MD
06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sarah Palin has been busted for so many lies in the past year and a half, it's become nearly impossible to keep track of them all. Whenever she opens her mouth, she simply cannot stop herself from engaging in duplicities, exaggerations and half-truths that not-so-coincidentally always distort the political record in her favor. It's a pathology.

She did it again this week during a somewhat contentious interview with Bill O'Reilly in which she chastised her Fox News host out the gate: "I kind of have a big beef with you too though, Bill, if you don't acknowledge that President Obama is wrong on his call for a need for energy policy."

Perhaps the biggest joke being fobbed by Palin to the American public is that she is some sort of expert on energy issues. Sarah Palin isn't an expert on anything -- remember that this is a woman who didn't know the difference between England and Great Britain as she began her not-so-celebrated run for the vice-presidency -- and who quit her governorship after two-and-a-half years of failed leadership and being found guilty of "abuse of power" in the Last Frontier. It's all smoke and mirrors. She is fed a series of talking points by her advisers before each of her punditry appearances and then dishes them out in what my friends in Alaska have dubbed "word salads" -- without the dressing.

O'Reilly lied, too, of course, when he said, "I'm pleased to have you on the program tonight [as] there is not a governor in the United States who has more experience than you do dealing with the oil companies." Sarah Palin? The half-governor? Uh, Alaska isn't even the largest oil-producing state in the union. Texas is, followed by Alaska, California... and you didn't guess it: North Dakota. Is anyone touting current North Dakota governor John Hoeven as a national expert in resource policy? And why does everyone -- including Palin herself -- keep pretending that she is still governor?

As Andrew Halcro, the bright and witty Anchorage based businessman who ran against Palin for governor in 2006, wrote me yesterday: "Listening to Sarah Palin lecture on the oil-and-gas industry is like listening to Bernie Madoff talk about safe investing; zero credibility."

Remember, Halcro is someone from Palin's own party in Alaska. Indeed, Palin's mishandling of Alaska's natural gas and oil reserves in the Last Frontier turned nearly all interested parties against her by the time of her resignation -- from oil producers to environmentalists alike. Americans will recall her speech at the Republican National convention in which she claimed that "we began" to build a $40-billion natural gas pipeline "to help lead America to energy independence."

Only there was and is no pipeline. It has never been built. If it's ever built, it will be constructed not because of Palin but in spite of her.

Drill, baby, drill? Shill, baby, shill is more like it. Sarah Palin talks the talk, but she has never walked the walk in her life, especially when it comes to resource management. Not only did she quit her failed governorship, she also quit her appointed position to the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission after serving little more than a year. That's two-for-two in the last decade alone. Sarah Palin a doer? Hardly.

Here's one of Palin's big laughers from the interview. When asked by O'Reilly is "how to stop" the oil leak, Palin responded:

The Dutch. They are known... and the Norwegian. They are known for -- for dikes and for cleaning up water and for dealing with spills.
Got that, Bill? You betcha. Then there was the matter of her inflating her own resume again:

... as governor of Alaska, what I did in dealing with the oil companies and I'll betcha 75% of my time was being taken up by energy issues here in this state. I had to set up our Petroleum Systems Integrity Office [PSIO] so that we could be there on the front lines making sure what the oil companies were telling us was legit when they were dealing with their corroded pipes that we find out and other lax maintenance issues.
Only Palin didn't really "set up" the PSIO so much as reconfigure it as a photo-op session. A year earlier, her Republican predecessor, Frank Murkowski, had established the Arctic Pipeline Technology Team to "ensure the integrity of oil pipeline infrastructure and continued crude oil production."

Most significantly, a journalist friend of mine in Anchorage who has covered resource issues in Alaska for more than a decade assured me yesterday:

Aside from conducting pretty thorough reviews of some fires that broke out at BP-operated facilities on the North Slope, PSIO never really did anything. The gap analysis concerning coverage that was promised was never written. It's really hard to find any PSIO accomplishments at all...
I just this week received a massive dump of Palin's emails through an Alaska Public Records Act request. It provides a fascinating glimpse of how Palin dealt with the oil industry. Writing on her infamous private Yahoo account on which she conducted state business, Palin expressed her desire to host a fish barbecue in Juneau during the spring of 2007 for representatives from TransCanada Corp., which she essentially selected to build the pipeline. Here, in her inimitable own words:

Cool! We should cook it [salmon] for whomever needs to have that get-together reception opportunity....I'll let AGIA folks know the fish is a good opportunity to have folks over for informal gasoline chat....

Tonight's great for Todd and me--now these type of events can be quite informal and still be successful. There's a Costco in Juneau, if you know what I mean. And my family is quite capable of setting out food and cleaning up afterwards.

The level of "expertise" is astonishing. And, yes, Sarah, I think we know what you mean (wink).

Watch Palin's performance on O'Reilly closely. There is a deep inner anger boiling beneath the surface with every phrase she recites. Her smiles are forced and contrived. Each response is uttered in odd, staccatoed cadences, as though someone has pulled the string on a talking doll. Palin's currency in American politics is not her faux expertise on energy resources -- it's her inner rage. And those who share it with her tap into that common anger and see her as their leader. It is as ugly as it is dangerous.

Palin's pretentions and duplicities would all be a joke if the potential political implications were not now so serious. Sarah Palin is clearly positioning herself for a run at the presidency in 2012. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply fooling themselves. My sources in Wasilla have assured me that Palin fully believes that "God has opened the door for her." With every Facebook lie she posts, with every Fox News distortion she spews, she is trying to reconstruct her tarnished image as an expert in resource production and foreign affairs. P.T. Barnum may have been right that there is a sucker born in America every minute. Sarah Palin is now their ring leader.

Perhaps the biggest joke being fobbed by Palin to the American public is that she is some sort of expert on energy issues. Sarah Palin isn't an expert on anything -- remember that this is a woman who didn't know the difference between England and Great Britain as she began her not-so-celebrated run for the vice-presidency -- and who quit her governorship after two-and-a-half years of failed leadership and being found guilty of "abuse of power" in the Last Frontier. It's all smoke and mirrors. She is fed a series of talking points by her advisers before each of her punditry appearances and then dishes them out in what my friends in Alaska have dubbed "word salads" -- without the dressing.

O'Reilly lied, too, of course, when he said, "I'm pleased to have you on the program tonight [as] there is not a governor in the United States who has more experience than you do dealing with the oil companies." Sarah Palin? The half-governor? Uh, Alaska isn't even the largest oil-producing state in the union. Texas is, followed by Alaska, California... and you didn't guess it: North Dakota. Is anyone touting current North Dakota governor John Hoeven as a national expert in resource policy? And why does everyone -- including Palin herself -- keep pretending that she is still governor?

As Andrew Halcro, the bright and witty Anchorage based businessman who ran against Palin for governor in 2006, wrote me yesterday: "Listening to Sarah Palin lecture on the oil-and-gas industry is like listening to Bernie Madoff talk about safe investing; zero credibility."

Remember, Halcro is someone from Palin's own party in Alaska. Indeed, Palin's mishandling of Alaska's natural gas and oil reserves in the Last Frontier turned nearly all interested parties against her by the time of her resignation -- from oil producers to environmentalists alike. Americans will recall her speech at the Republican National convention in which she claimed that "we began" to build a $40-billion natural gas pipeline "to help lead America to energy independence."

Only there was and is no pipeline. It has never been built. If it's ever built, it will be constructed not because of Palin but in spite of her.

Drill, baby, drill? Shill, baby, shill is more like it. Sarah Palin talks the talk, but she has never walked the walk in her life, especially when it comes to resource management. Not only did she quit her failed governorship, she also quit her appointed position to the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission after serving little more than a year. That's two-for-two in the last decade alone. Sarah Palin a doer? Hardly.

Here's one of Palin's big laughers from the interview. When asked by O'Reilly is "how to stop" the oil leak, Palin responded:

The Dutch. They are known... and the Norwegian. They are known for -- for dikes and for cleaning up water and for dealing with spills.
Got that, Bill? You betcha. Then there was the matter of her inflating her own resume again:

... as governor of Alaska, what I did in dealing with the oil companies and I'll betcha 75% of my time was being taken up by energy issues here in this state. I had to set up our Petroleum Systems Integrity Office [PSIO] so that we could be there on the front lines making sure what the oil companies were telling us was legit when they were dealing with their corroded pipes that we find out and other lax maintenance issues.
Only Palin didn't really "set up" the PSIO so much as reconfigure it as a photo-op session. A year earlier, her Republican predecessor, Frank Murkowski, had established the Arctic Pipeline Technology Team to "ensure the integrity of oil pipeline infrastructure and continued crude oil production."

Most significantly, a journalist friend of mine in Anchorage who has covered resource issues in Alaska for more than a decade assured me yesterday:

Aside from conducting pretty thorough reviews of some fires that broke out at BP-operated facilities on the North Slope, PSIO never really did anything. The gap analysis concerning coverage that was promised was never written. It's really hard to find any PSIO accomplishments at all...
I just this week received a massive dump of Palin's emails through an Alaska Public Records Act request. It provides a fascinating glimpse of how Palin dealt with the oil industry. Writing on her infamous private Yahoo account on which she conducted state business, Palin expressed her desire to host a fish barbecue in Juneau during the spring of 2007 for representatives from TransCanada Corp., which she essentially selected to build the pipeline. Here, in her inimitable own words:

Cool! We should cook it [salmon] for whomever needs to have that get-together reception opportunity....I'll let AGIA folks know the fish is a good opportunity to have folks over for informal gasoline chat....

Tonight's great for Todd and me--now these type of events can be quite informal and still be successful. There's a Costco in Juneau, if you know what I mean. And my family is quite capable of setting out food and cleaning up afterwards.

The level of "expertise" is astonishing. And, yes, Sarah, I think we know what you mean (wink).

Watch Palin's performance on O'Reilly closely. There is a deep inner anger boiling beneath the surface with every phrase she recites. Her smiles are forced and contrived. Each response is uttered in odd, staccatoed cadences, as though someone has pulled the string on a talking doll. Palin's currency in American politics is not her faux expertise on energy resources -- it's her inner rage. And those who share it with her tap into that common anger and see her as their leader. It is as ugly as it is dangerous.

Palin's pretentions and duplicities would all be a joke if the potential political implications were not now so serious. Sarah Palin is clearly positioning herself for a run at the presidency in 2012. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply fooling themselves. My sources in Wasilla have assured me that Palin fully believes that "God has opened the door for her." With every Facebook lie she posts, with every Fox News distortion she spews, she is trying to reconstruct her tarnished image as an expert in resource production and foreign affairs. P.T. Barnum may have been right that there is a sucker born in America every minute. Sarah Palin is now their ring leader.

Award-winning writer and filmmaker Geoffrey Dunn's book The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power will be published by St. Martin's Press.

</div></div>

Deeman3
06-18-2010, 02:07 PM
This is obviously a pile or partisan crap made by somneone with an axe to grind with Palin.

Is this the nut who moved in next door to stalk her?

This dude makes Huffington Post look almost legitimate. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
06-18-2010, 02:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is obviously a pile or partisan crap made by somneone with an axe to grind with Palin.

Is this the nut who moved in next door to stalk her?

This dude makes Huffington Post look almost legitimate. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

If you can disprove any of his statements, please do so. Huffingtonpost, BTW, does not run strictly partisan information. Our Party is not a chorus of group think.

G.

Deeman3
06-18-2010, 03:33 PM
I can say that Ms. Huffington is a liar, a thief and a hypocrit who tells others to not drive SUV's but wasted more energy than Al Gore and then ask you to prove that is not true?

This is typical yellow "Do you still beat your wife?" journalism and nothing more as Huffington Post deals in daily.

It is all intended to offset the reality that many Americans have now awoken to the far left agenda that only a minority of them wanted now that they all see what it is.

Yes, your party is a achorus of Groupthink, it is just getting fewer voices every day.

I think the best judge will be the American voter over the next two years.

Gayle in MD
06-19-2010, 07:02 AM
As I said, Deeman, if you can disprove the accusations of the author, please do so. I've been reading the Alaskan news papers for several years now, and wondering why more of Palin's dirty dealing and non stop lying is overlooked completely by the vast rightwing national press.

Death Panels??? Paling around with terrorists? Grabbing the investigations about her abuse of power, and sending them to her own panel??? Charging the state whenn she worked from home, and for her children's traveling expenses???

I could go on, of course.

You are full steam ahead on your Hillary bashing, one of your favorite accusations, IIRC, that she is an opportunist, lol.

I'd say Palin somehow slipped under your radar on her unprecedented opportunism, exploiting her fifteen minutes of fame, charging Americans for autographs and pictures, and parlaying her greedy form of public service into millions, all in the interests of her own money grubby little hands.

Unlike Hillary, who is currently running herself ragged for her counttry, not for her personal bank account. WAZZUP with that?

No one in their right mind could compare Sara's little homespun act, to Hillary Clinton's broad knowledge and experience of foreign affairs, and how the various regions play off one another, to Palin's idiot statements, confused about such intricate subjects as what is and isn't a continenet!

AND we can actually undersand everything Hillary says, instead of the whole country zoned out in a national quizical frown, and question mark, every time Paloin opens he mouth, ..."Say WHAT???? What the hell is she talking about????"

Don't you worry about the "far" left, Deeman, they aren't out there making fools of themswelves, with flabby guts hanging over their belts, guns strapped to their legs, the new whacky extremists who have the fBI working overtime, as their more moderate republicans on THe Hill, incite more violence, from balconies, as they are showing us their great love of the corporate crooks, and their own greedy, grubby little, Palin-like pay to play, hands.

Americans still trust Democratics more than republilcans to help us all escape from the BLANKCHECK BUSHWHACKED STATE OF THE UNION, so I wouldn't try to speak for the entire country, if I were you.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
G.

Gayle in MD
06-19-2010, 09:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can say that Ms. Huffington is a liar, a thief and a hypocrit who tells others to not drive SUV's but wasted more energy than Al Gore and then ask you to prove that is not true?

This is typical yellow "Do you still beat your wife?" journalism and nothing more as Huffington Post deals in daily.

It is all intended to offset the reality that many Americans have now awoken to the far left agenda that only a minority of them wanted now that they all see what it is.

Yes, your party is a achorus of Groupthink, it is just getting fewer voices every day.

I think the best judge will be the American voter over the next two years. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> GOP Convention Spin, Part II
September 4, 2008
Palin trips up on her facts, and Giuliani and Huckabee have their own stumbles on Night 3 of the Republican confab.
Summary
Sarah Palin’s much-awaited speech at the Republican National Convention on Wednesday night may have shown she could play the role of attack dog, but it also showed her to be short on facts when it came to touting her own record and going after Obama’s.

We found Rudy Giuliani, who introduced her, to be as factually challenged as he sometimes was back when he was in the race. But Mike Huckabee may have laid the biggest egg of all.

Palin may have said “Thanks, but no thanks” on the Bridge to Nowhere, though not until Congress had pretty much killed it already. But that was a sharp turnaround from the position she took during her gubernatorial campaign, and the town where she was mayor received lots of earmarks during her tenure.
Palin’s accusation that Obama hasn’t authored “a single major law or even a reform” in the U.S. Senate or the Illinois Senate is simply not a fair assessment. Obama has helped push through major ethics reforms in both bodies, for example.
The Alaska governor avoided some of McCain’s false claims about Obama’s tax program – but her attacks still failed to give the whole story.
Giuliani distorted the time line and substance of Obama’s statements about the conflict between Russia and Georgia. In fact, there was much less difference between his statements and those of McCain than Giuliani would have had us believe.
Giuliani also said McCain had been a fighter pilot. Actually, McCain’s plane was the A-4 Skyhawk, a small bomber. It was the only plane he trained in or flew in combat, according to McCain’s own memoir.
Finally, Huckabee told conventioneers and TV viewers that Palin got more votes when she ran for mayor of Wasilla than Biden did running for president. Not even close. The tally: Biden, 79,754, despite withdrawing from the race after the Iowa caucuses. Palin, 909 in her 1999 race, 651 in 1996.
Analysis
Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin was a hit with the party faithful at the GOP convention, but some of her claims were amiss. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee also delivered a few faulty remarks.

A Bridge Too Far

Palin claimed to have stood up to Congress on the subject of the infamous “Bridge to Nowhere,” the Gravina Island bridge in Ketchikan, Alaska, about which we wrote last November.

Palin: I told the Congress, "Thanks, but no thanks," on that bridge to nowhere.

This is not the first time Palin has cited her choice to kill the bridge in 2007 as an example of her anti-waste stance. It’s true that she did eventually nix the project. But the bridge was nearly dead already – Congress had removed the earmark, giving the requested money to the state but not marking it for any specific use. Palin unplugged its life support, declaring in 2007 that the funds would not be used for the Gravina bridge.

When she was running for governor, however, Palin expressed a different position. In 2006, the Ketchikan Daily News quoted her expressing optimism and support for the bridge at a Ketchikan campaign stop.

Palin, 2006: "People across the nation struggle with the idea of building a bridge because they’ve been under these misperceptions about the bridge and the purpose,” said Palin, who described the link as the Ketchikan area’s potential for expansion and growth. … Palin said Alaska’s congressional delegation worked hard to obtain funding for the bridge as part of a package deal and that she “would not stand in the way of the progress toward that bridge.”

Palin also answered "yes" to an Anchorage Daily News poll question about whether she would continue to support state funding for the Gravina Island bridge if elected governor. "The window is now," she wrote, "while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist." It was only after she won the governorship that Palin shifted her position. And even then, it’s inaccurate to say that she “told the Congress ‘thanks, but no thanks.’” Palin accepted non-earmarked money from Congress that could have been used for the bridge if she so desired. That she opted to use it for other state transportation purposes doesn’t qualify as standing up to Congress.

The bridge reversal is not the only matter throwing doubt on Palin’s credentials as a government waste reformer. Watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense has reported that the small town of Wasilla, Alaska, which had not previously received significant federal funds, hauled in almost $27 million in earmarks while Palin was mayor. (McCain has explicitly criticized several of the Wasilla earmarks in recent years.) To help obtain these earmarks, Palin had hired Steven Silver, the former chief of staff for recently indicted Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, as Wasilla’s lobbyist.

And Palin continued to solicit federal funds as governor. A request form on Stevens’ Web site shows that she requested $160.5 million in earmarks for the state in 2008, and almost $198 million for 2009.

Tough Grader

Palin disparaged Obama’s legislative record, both in Illinois and in Washington:

Palin: But listening to him speak, it’s easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or even a reform, not even in the state Senate.

Of course, we can’t say what Palin considers “major.” But if Palin’s own ethics reforms in Alaska were important enough to highlight in her convention address, then it’s only fair to credit Obama’s efforts on that topic. In 1998 in the Illinois Senate, Obama cosponsored an ethics overhaul that bars elected officials from using their campaign funds for personal use and and was called the the first major overhaul of Illinois campaign and ethics laws in 25 years. It also bans fundraisers in the state Capitol during legislative sessions. Obama’s Republican cosponsor Kirk Dillard even appeared in an Obama ad last summer describing Obama’s skills working with members of both parties to get legislation passed.

In Washington, Obama was instrumental in helping to craft the 2007 ethics reform law that ended gifts and meals from lobbyists, cut off subsidized jet travel for members of Congress, required lobbyists to disclose contributions they “bundle” to candidates, and put the brakes on other, similar common practices.

In addition, we already noted in a recent article Obama’s efforts with Republican senators to help detect and secure weapons of mass destruction and to destroy conventional weapons stockpiles around the world, and to create a publicly searchable database on federal spending.

Overburdened?

One area where we note improvement is the way Palin attacked Obama's tax proposals – as a burden "on the American economy" rather than, as McCain has been falsely claiming, a direct tax increase on middle-income workers:

Palin: And let me be specific: The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, and raise payroll taxes, and raise investment income taxes, and raise the death tax, and raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars. ... How are you – how are you going to be better off if our opponent adds a massive tax burden to the American economy?

Her tax remarks still cry out for context. Obama proposes to cut taxes for most individuals (81.3 percent of all households would get a tax cut), while raising them only for a relative few at the top, which she did not mention. But she avoided the false claims that McCain continues to make, most recently in a TV ad that wrongly accuses Obama of planning "painful tax increases on working American families." Instead, Palin spoke of the effect of an overall tax increase on jobs and the economy.

It's quite true that Obama's plan would increase taxes overall, by a total of $627 billion over 10 years, according to the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center. Economists may debate how large or small an effect such an increase would have on jobs and businesses; it's certainly a topic open for discussion in a political campaign.

Riffing Wrongly

In attacking Obama, Palin reeled off a few statements that had a nice cadence, but were light on facts.

Palin: America needs more energy; our opponent is against producing it. Victory in Iraq is finally in sight, and he wants to forfeit. Terrorist states are seeking nuclear weapons without delay; he wants to meet them without preconditions. Al Qaida terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America, and he's worried that someone won't read them their rights.

We have factual problems with three of these statements.

Obama's not against producing more energy. In fact, he's not even against drilling for oil any more, within limits. He has a $150 billion clean energy program and says that he wants to develop clean coal technology, advance the next generation of biofuels, prioritize construction of the Alaska gas pipeline (surely a measure Palin agrees with) and take a host of other steps to both conserve energy and produce it, in various forms.

If Obama's comments about meeting with "terrorist states" are worthy of ridicule, then perhaps so are those of the Bush administration and other Republicans. Obama made his first statement on this in an answer to a video question at a Democratic debate last year, when he said "I would" when asked whether he'd meet "separately, without precondition" in his first year with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea. Reagan, JFK and other presidents had spoken to the Soviet Union regularly, he noted.
In a speech to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee in June, Obama elaborated, saying that he would take an aggressive diplomatic approach – carefully preparing for such meetings, setting a clear agenda, coordinating with U.S. allies, and not conducting the meetings at all unless they were clearly in the U.S. interest. He also stressed he would "do everything in my power to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon."

In recent months, the Bush Administration has been more open to beginning a dialogue with the same nations that it once referred to as the “axis of evil.” In July, the president sent a high-level official to Geneva to sit in on nuclear talks with Iran and authorized Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to speak with North Korean diplomats about ending that country’s nuclear weapons program. Reports in the Washington Post and the New York Times noted the stark contrast between the administration’s current position about meeting with “foes” and its attitude several years ago.

Further, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said in May that we should "sit down and talk" with Iran. So did former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger in March. As did Sen. Dick Lugar, then chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, as far back as 2006.

Obama isn't worried, as Palin said, "that someone won't read them their rights" when it comes to suspected terrorists who are detained by the U.S. He does, however, support the right of detainees to challenge their imprisonment in federal court. That's the same position the Supreme Court took in June in a case called Boumediene v. Bush.
Cookin' with Gas

Palin talked about standing up to oil companies and oil lobbyists, citing her work on getting a gas pipeline built in Alaska:

Palin: I fought to bring about the largest private-sector infrastructure project in North American history. And when that deal was struck, we began a nearly $40 billion natural gas pipeline to help lead America to energy independence.

Actually, construction hasn’t begun on the pipeline, and the project isn't quite a done deal. Palin signed legislation just last week that authorizes the state to give a license in 90 days to TransCanada to start developing the project. The state also can provide $500 million as seed money. She gets credit for moving the pipeline closer to realization after many years of talks. Palin pushed for legislation that would allow a private company to build the 1,715-mile natural gas pipeline, instead of oil companies, which she said were moving too slowly on the issue.

In an Aug. 27 press release, Palin indicated that there was still work to be done before the project would become a reality:

Palin, press release, Aug. 27: After dreaming of a natural gas pipeline for more than 30 years, Alaskans have now created the framework for the project to advance. This legislation brings us closer than we’ve ever been to building a gas pipeline and finally accessing our gas that has been languishing for so many decades on the North Slope.

Washington Post energy correspondent Steven Mufson wrote that the major oil companies have opposed the pipeline project, saying it wasn’t economically feasible. Yet, ConocoPhillips and BP have proposed their own gas pipeline that would compete with the state-backed project. TransCanada estimates it will take 10 years to finish the pipeline, according to its application to the state, and it will cost about $26.5 billion – not $40 billion as Palin said.

As for Palin having “stood up to ... the Big Oil companies,” as she said in her speech, she has on this issue, not on others. Oil is, after all, incredibly important to Alaska’s economy. About 80 percent of the state budget comes from oil and gas taxes and royalties. Palin is in favor of drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and offshore areas, a position she shares with oil companies.
Georgia on Their Minds

Before Palin took the stage, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, the evening's keynote speaker, gave a factually challenged account of how Obama and McCain had responded to the Georgia-Russia conflict.

First, he said that “within hours” McCain had “established a very strong, informed position that let the world know exactly how he’ll respond as president. At exactly the right time, John McCain said, ‘We’re all Georgians.’ ” McCain did release a strongly worded statement on the conflict on Aug. 8, the day reports of violence first surfaced, but he didn’t say, “We’re all Georgians” until four days later.

Giuliani went on to criticize Obama, saying his “first instinct was to create a moral equivalency — that ‘both sides’ should ‘show restraint.’ ” It’s true Obama’s initial statement said, “Now is the time for Georgia and Russia to show restraint, and to avoid an escalation to full scale war,” and McCain called on Russia to “unconditionally cease its military operations and withdraw all forces from sovereign Georgian territory.” It’s worth noting, however, that Obama’s words echoed those of White House press secretary Dana Perino, who said on Aug. 8, “we urge restraint on all sides – that violence would be curtailed and that direct dialogue could ensue in order to help resolve their differences.” Early reports also said Georgia may have triggered the outbreak of fighting. We’ll leave it to readers to judge which candidate took the right tack.

Giuliani then said Obama “changed his position and suggested that the U.N. Security Council could find a solution. Apparently, none of his 300 advisers told him that Russia has a veto on any U.N. action.” But Obama’s very first statement called for U.N. Security Council action – and so did McCain’s.

Obama, Aug. 8: …the United States, the United Nations Security Council, and the international community should fully support a peaceful resolution to this crisis.

McCain, Aug. 8: The U.S. should immediately convene an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council to call on Russia to reverse course.

Apparently, McCain doesn’t share Giuliani’s concern for Russia’s veto power either. In fact, in his third statement on Aug. 11, McCain said: "The United States and our allies should continue efforts to bring a resolution before the UN Security Council condemning Russian aggression. … We should move ahead with the resolution despite Russian veto threats, and submit Russia to the court of world public opinion.”

Giuliani wrapped up his account by saying, “Finally Obama put out a statement that looked ... well, it looked a lot like John McCain's.” It’s true that Obama’s statements became more forceful – as did McCain's – but Obama was calling for Russia to “stop its bombing campaign” and “withdraw its ground forces from Georgia” in his second statement, as well as his third.

Naked Gun

Giuliani also bungled a reference to McCain's Navy record:

Giuliani: And being a "Top Gun" kind of guy, he became a fighter pilot.

Actually, McCain wasn't a fighter pilot at all, much less "top gun" among that very specialized group. McCain was a bomber pilot, and he himself makes this clear on page 173 of his book "Faith of my Fathers": "I trained exclusively in the A-4 Skyhawk, the small bomber that I would soon fly in combat missions." The aircraft is formally called a "Light Attack Bomber" by Boeing, successor to McDonnell-Douglas, the company that made it. It's true that a few A-4s were flown by the Navy Fighter Weapons School at Miramar, California – but they played the role of "bogies," which the fighter pilots in training were supposed to intercept and shoot down.

Giuliani might be forgiven for his mistake, as he never served in the military himself.

Too Good to Check?

The biggest whopper of the night may have come from former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who charged that Palin “got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States.” It may sound like a great line, but it’s not true – not even close. Palin garnered 651 votes in 1996 and 909 votes in 1999 in her two races for mayor of Wasilla, according to the city. Biden, despite withdrawing from the race after the Iowa caucus, got 79,754 votes in the Democratic primaries.

– by Viveca Novak, with Brooks Jackson, Jess Henig, Lori Robertson and D'Angelo Gore

Sources
Bowlen, Scott. "Palin: It's about service to people." Ketchikan Daily News. 9 Aug. 2006.

Anchorage Daily News. "Where they stand; Running for Governor 2006." 22 Oct. 2006.

Taxpayers for Common Sense. "Wasilla, Alaska Benefited from Nearly $27 Million in Earmarks from 1996 to 2002." 2 Sep. 2008.

Hamburger, Tom, Richard Simon and Janet Hook. "McCain had criticized earmarks from Palin." The Los Angeles Times. 3 Sep. 2008.

Hamburger, Tom. "Palin relied on earmark system she now opposes." The Los Angeles Times. 1 Sep. 2008.

Long, Ray and Christi Parsons, “Campaign Finance Reform not Without Its Loopholes; Edgar calls Ethics Legislation ‘Significant Step’”. Chicago Tribune, 13 Aug. 1998.

Cooper, Helen. “A New Openness to Talks With That ‘Axis of Evil’.” The New York Times, 22 July 2008

Eggen, Dan. “U.S. Talks With Iran Exemplify Bush's New Approaches.” The Washington Post, 20 July 2008

Sciolino, Elaine and Steven Lee Myers. “Policy Shift Seen in U.S. Decision on Iran Talks.” The New York Times, 17 July 2008

Obama, Barack. “Remarks of Senator Barack Obama: AIPAC Policy Conference.” Barackobama.com, 4 June 2008, accessed 4 Sept. 2008

The New York Times. “Transcript: Fourth Democratic Debate,” 4 June 2007

Yen, Hope. "Two Senators Say U.S. Should Pursue Nuclear Talks with Tehran." Associated Press, 17 April 2006.

Bender, Michael. "Obama Would Consider Off-Shore Drilling as Part of Comprehensive Energy Plan," Palm Beach Post, 1 Aug. 2008.

DeYoung, Karen. "Gates: U.S. Should Engage Iran With Incentives, Pressure," The Washington Post." 15 May 2008.

Hall, Camilla and Mike Schneider. "Kissinger Backs Direct U.S. Negotiations With Iran." Bloomberg.com. 14 March 2008.

McCain, John and Salter, Mark, "Faith of my Fathers," Random House 1999; 173.

Williams, Roberton and Gleckman, Howard. “An Updated Analysis of the 2008 Presidential Candidates’ Tax Plans." Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, 15 Aug 2008.

Boeing Corp. "A4D/A-4 Skyhawk Light Attack Bomber," Web page giving description and brief history of A-4 Skyhawk, accessed 4 Sep 2008.

The Skyhawk Association, "Navy Fighter Weapons School, 'TOP GUN'" Web page accessed 4 Sep 2008.

Application for License, Alaska Gasline Inducement Act. Project Cost Estimate. TransCanada, 30 Nov. 2007.

“Palin Signs AGIA License Bill,” press release. State of Alaska Governor’s Office, 27 Aug. 2008.

Ordonez, Isabel and Cassandra Sweet. “Conoco Proceeds With Alaska Gas Pipeline; Wants Exxon To Join.” Dow Jones Newswires, 8 Aug. 2008.

Mufson, Steve. “Sarah Palin and Big Oil.” Energy Wire, PostGlobal, washingtonpost.com, 30 Aug. 2008.

Sutton, Anne. “Alaska gov. backs license for natural gas pipeline.” The Associated Press, 23 May 2008.

1996 Election Results. City of Wasilla, Alaska. Cityofwasilla.com, accessed 4 Sept. 2008.

1999 Election Results. City of Wasilla, Alaska. Cityofwasilla.com, accessed 4 Sept. 2008.

2008 Presidential Primaries, Caucuses and Conventions. Democratic Convention. The Green Papers, accessed 4 Sept. 2008.

Vock, Daniel C. "Obama's record in the Illinois Senate." Stateline.org, 25 Aug 2008.

Vock, Daniel C. "Obama; He puts ethics on the agenda." Illinois Issues Online, Feb 2007.
Related Articles
Maverick Misleads
A McCain ad comparing Palin to Obama isn't all above board.
GOP Convention Spin
Lieberman and Thompson make misleading claims about Obama on Day Two of the party in St. Paul.
FactChecking Obama
He stuck to the facts, except when he stretched them.</div></div>

Gayle in MD
06-19-2010, 05:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geoffrey Dunn is an award-winning writer and filmmaker. His forthcoming book The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power will be released by St. Martin's Press in 2010.

Dunn has produced and directed more than a dozen award-winning documentary films, including Dollar a Day, 10¢ a Dance: A Historic Portrait of Filipino Farm Workers in America; Miss…or Myth?; and the recently completed Calypso Dreams.

Dunn is the author of Santa Cruz Is in the Heart and Chinatown Dreams: The Life and Photographs of George Lee. He also wrote the original screenplay for the feature film Maddalena Z. Dunn earned a Ph. D. in Sociology from the University of California, Santa Cruz, where he was the recipient of an Excellence in Teaching award in 2001.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geoffrey Dunn
Award-winning journalist, filmmaker and historian

Posted: November 25, 2009 07:19 PM
BIO Become a Fan
Get Email Alerts Bloggers' Index
More Palin Lies: The Trooper in 'Troopergate' Breaks His Silence

The Alaska State Trooper at the center of Sarah Palin's so-called "Troopergate Scandal"--which impeded her run for the vice-presidency and stained her record as Alaska governor--has broken his more than year-long silence since his embattled divorce with Palin's sister, Molly, became a cause celebre during last year's presidential campaign.

After reading passages from Palin's memoirs Going Rogue that deal with his marriage and subsequent divorce, a "fed up" Mike Wooten, 37, who still serves as an Alaska State Trooper in Anchorage, called the book "a pack of lies."

According to Wooten, Palin and her father, Chuck Heath Sr., have "interfered with my life--and my children's lives--for at least the last five years. And it is still going on. I'm done with it."

Characterizing his adversaries as "snakes," Wooten said he has kept quiet long enough. "From this point on I'm speaking my mind," he declared. "I'm speaking the truth. Let the chips fall where they may." He acknowledged that he is considering taking legal action against Palin on multiple fronts.

Although Palin would try to claim otherwise during the presidential campaign, an independent investigation ordered by the bipartisan Alaska Legislative Council (composed of ten Republicans and four Democrats) and conducted by former Republican prosecutor Steve Branchflower, resulted in the finding "that Governor Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act."

The report issued by Branchflower documented more than thirty occasions in which then Governor Palin, her husband Todd or members of her staff tried to influence Alaska's highly regarded Commissioner of Public Safety, Walt Monegan, to fire Wooten. When Monegan refused, Palin fired him instead.

In addition to the finding that Palin "abused" her office, the Alaska Senate cited Todd Palin and nine other state employees for "contempt" for ignoring legislative subpoenas to testify in the Troopergate investigation.

A native of California whose father immigrated to the United States from Honduras, Wooten served 10 years in the Air Force and three more in the Air National Guard Reserves. He participated in a trio of U.S. military operations in the Persian Gulf War--Desert Storm, Desert Shield and Restore Hope--before returning stateside to Alaska at Elmendorf Air Force Base, about 45 minutes from Wasilla.

Partially disabled from his military service, Wooten pointed out that neither Todd nor Sarah Palin, or Chuck Heath for that metter, served in the armed forces. Wooten said he was particularly "disgusted and incensed" by Palin's "insincere" dedication in Going Rogue to "our men and women in uniform."

Wooten further noted with irony that many of those who have been victimized by Palin during her political career--including former Wasilla police chief Irl Stambaugh; Monegan and himself--were all veterans. "Sarah is only about Sarah," Wooten said. "She doesn't care about the 'men and women in uniform.' It's all about advancing Sarah's career."

Public records from Alaska--some of which have been revealed for the first time--chronicle a half-decade long obsession with Wooten by Palin, her father and, later, by Palin's husband Todd.

"They're like poisonous snakes in the grass who spew nothing but venom," Wooten said. "They just lay in wait and they attack you until you're dead."

In Going Rogue, Palin mentions none of Wooten's military record, but cites many charges that were brought against Wooten that were subsequently dismissed. She contends that there were "ten different" citizen complaints field against Wooten--without acknowledging that all of them were filed by members of her family or close friends. "They filed every stinking one of the charges," Wooten contends. "But it's been more like two dozen."

In an interview conducted in Alaska this past summer, John Cyr, the former Alaska Public Safety Employees Association Executive Director, confirmed Wooten's charges:

Not one complaint has ever been made about Mike Wooten's professional performance from any member of the public other than the Palin/Heath family and their closest friends. The troopers that I've talked to that have worked with Mike tell me Mike is the kind of guy they'd go through a door with. That he does his work. He's a professional. You know, just no complaints out there about Mike's work.
"It's the product of an ugly divorce and custody battle," Cyr [pictured below, at left, with Wooten] said of the complaints against the State Trooper. "It's nothing more than that."

Wooten has acknowledged several mistakes he made while "I was younger" and admitted there were several things he "would have done differently," but he chose to remain silent as the McCain-Palin campaign portrayed him as a "rogue" Trooper (note the irony here) who Tased his step-son and went off on violent, drunken binges, to the point of threatening to kill Palin's father.

Wooten calls the version of events rendered in Going Rogue an "outright lie." Either it "didn't happen [the way she alleges]," he says, "or she exaggerated it all beyond recognition. I look forward to telling my side of this story."

Wooten now joins an ever-growing array of figures from John McCain on down who have challenged the veracity of Palin's memoirs. The list also includes McCain senior advisers Steve Schmidt and Nicolle Wallace, Palin's former legislative director John Bitney, her former political ally Andree McLeod, and former Alaska gubernatorial candidate Andrew Halcro. All Republicans. Wooten identifies himself as a "conservative" as well.

Palin contends "the chapter for our family was closed" with the divorce but fails to acknowledge any of the sustained harassment of Wooten, which, he says, continues to this day.

The father of three (two of whom are with Palin's sister), Wooten, still living in Wasilla, is described by his friends as a "very involved father," active as a coach in all of his three children's extracurricular sports activities--hockey, football and soccer. "I've committed my life to these children and being a good dad," he says. "I'm simply not going to allow the Palins or Chuck Heath to interfere in our lives any longer."

Palin recounts a story in Going Rogue that Wooten "asked me to write him a recommendation for the Alaska State Trooper Academy." What she doesn't acknowledge is that she wrote more than one on his behalf. In a letter dated January 1, 2000, written on official City of Wasilla stationery, Palin praises Wooten profusely, though she fails to declare her then-pending familial relationship with him.

It is my pleasure to provide character reference examples for Mr. Mike Wooten. Since I have become acquainted with Mike I continue to be impressed with his integrity, worthwhile community spirit and trustworthiness...

On a personal note, I have witnessed Mike's gift of calm and kindness towards many young kids here in Wasilla. I have never seen him raise his voice, nor lose patience, nor become agitated, in the presence of any child. Instead, Mike consistently remains a fine role model for my own children and other young people in Wasilla.

I wish America had more people with the grace and sincerity that mirrors the character of Mike Wooten. We would have a much kinder calmer trustworthy nation as a result.

I believe the United States Air Force has been fortunate to have the services of Mike the past 10 years. His work ethic, his American patriotism, his obvious dedication to traditional values, and his strong faith in God and truth is witnessed in Mike's everyday living.

--Sarah Palin, Mayor

None of which, of course, is mentioned in Going Rogue.

For his part, Wooten recalls a telling conversation with an associate of Palin's campaign team when she was running for Governor in 2006. "You could probably bring the whole campaign down," the aide said. "You probably know things about her that she doesn't want other people to know."

Award-winning writer and filmmaker Geoffrey Dunn's book The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power will be released by St. Martin's Press in spring 2010.

</div></div>

LWW
06-19-2010, 05:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">O'Reilly lied, too, of course, when he said, "I'm pleased to have you on the program tonight [as] there is not a governor in the United States who has more experience than you do dealing with the oil companies." Sarah Palin? The half-governor? Uh, Alaska isn't even the largest oil-producing state in the union. Texas is, followed by Alaska, California... and you didn't guess it: North Dakota. Is anyone touting current North Dakota governor John Hoeven as a national expert in resource policy? And why does everyone -- including Palin herself -- keep pretending that she is still governor?</div></div> </div></div>

AHEM ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Energy Statistics &gt; Oil production (most recent) by state

Rank States Amount
# 1 Alaska: 664,931
# 2 Texas: 392,867
# 3 California: 240,206
# 4 Louisiana: 83,411
# 5 New Mexico: 64,236
# 6 Oklahoma: 62,502
# 7 Wyoming: 51,619
# 8 Kansas: 33,858
# 9 North Dakota: 31,154
# 10 Montana: 24,724 </div></div>

<span style='font-size: 26pt'><u>&gt;&gt;&gt;TRUTH VERSUS TRUTHINESS&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://www.statemaster.com/graph/ene_pet_pro-energy-oil-production)</u></span>

LWW &lt;&lt;&lt;==== Exposing moonbat lies since 1976.

Gayle in MD
06-19-2010, 05:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Geoffrey Dunn
Award-winning journalist, filmmaker and historian

Posted: May 9, 2010 06:35 PM

Wally Hickel and Sarah Palin's Betrayal

The death of Walter J. "Wally" Hickel (1919-2010) in Anchorage this past Friday marks the end of a remarkable era, not only in Alaska, but throughout the entire United States.

The two-time Governor of the Last Frontier (elected once as a Republican in the 1960s, the second time as an Independent in 1990) and former U.S. Secretary of the Interior under Richard Nixon was a larger than life figure, a legend in his own time, whose driving ambitions and relentless personal energy helped to both shape and define Alaska's 50 years of statehood. He had arrived in Anchorage in 1940 with 37 cents in his pocket, and it proved to be all the stake he would ever need. His robust spirit and seemingly boundless energy assured his success, not only in Alaska's bare-knuckle politics, but in the arenas of business and public policy as well.

Born in Kansas in 1919, Hickel was raised in an era when a handshake secured a deal and a commitment still meant something. He was a casual friend of my great uncle, an Italian fish vendor from California of the same generation, and they lived their lives under a code of conduct defined by integrity and an unyielding loyalty to friends and allies. Hickel was forced out of the Nixon White House after criticizing Nixon's handling of student protests during the Vietnam War. "Regardless of how I, or any American, might feel individually, we have an obligation as leaders to communicate with our youth and listen to their ideas and problems," he wrote. He refused to compromise his personal ethics.

I spent a fascinating morning with Hickel this past summer, in the office of his downtown Anchorage landmark, the Captain Cook Hotel, and he was every bit as dignified and gracious as he was when I first encountered him 35 years earlier in Anchorage, then a raw and wild oil town.

As he approached his 90th birthday, his grip was still strong and his "boomer" vision of Alaska remained his passion. A former boxer, he looked like he could still go a few rounds and I wouldn't want to cross him. He may have lost some of his intellectual edge after nine decades, but his spirit remained undaunted, his eyes bright, particularly when his bride of 67 years, Ermalee, later joined us in the conversation.

Hickel was still pushing his vision of an "owner state"--articulated in his book Crisis in the Commons: The Alaska Solution--and he remained upbeat about the possibilities facing Alaska. He was convinced that the "Age of the Artic" was still ahead and he still believed in "big ideas."

But when I asked Hickel about then governor Sarah Palin, his disposition turned hard. Hickel had played a major role in her victory as governor in the 2006 election--his stamp of approval went a long way toward getting her elected--and he expected a place at the table with the young governor as she was set to guide Alaska into the New Millenium.

In the immediate aftermath of Palin's election, however, Palin cast Hickel aside. As anyone who has ever worked with or for Sarah Palin knows full well, her capacity for deceit and betrayal knows no bounds. She stabbed Hickel in the back.

As a result, Hickel viewed Palin with personal disdain, describing her "political opportunism" in the most condemnatory terms possible. He had lost all respect for her. She "used" him like she would use many other patrons as she scratched and lied her way to a strange form of national political celebrity, and Hickel was not afraid to call it like he saw it. He was not bitter--he was a much bigger man than that--but at the same time, he was not afraid to show his disgust. "I don't give a damn about her," he told me.

I found his candor refreshing. Not only did he view Palin as a political parvenu, he viewed her as a puppet. "She's not her own woman," he said to me several times. He was strongly opposed to her plans for a TransCanada pipeline--he did not believe it would ever be built--and he championed instead an All Alaska gas-line project from Prudhoe Bay to Valdez. In a stinging opinion piece he wrote a year ago this week, he declared, "If I were governor, we would start building the All-Alaska gas line tomorrow. All it takes is some guts and a decision."

It didn't take much to read between those lines.

When I asked him for a formal, on-the-record response to Palin's stunted career as governor, he took a deep pause. "She fell in love with the national spotlight and lost her ethical compass," he said thoughtfully. "That was a sad day for Alaska and America."

In the aftermath of Palin's resignation, Hickel wrote a prescient opinion piece for the Anchorage Daily News (where he was a regular contributor until just last month), in which he expressed his criticism of Palin for being a polarizing figure along both class and racial lines during the national campaign. He urged her "to rise above the worn-out, negative tactics of presidential politics and assume the role of stateswoman."

While acknowledging his initial support for Palin's nomination, he expressed his horror at the divisive nature of her political rhetoric:

Palin became the spokesperson for the divisive voices in American politics. She dismissed the greatness of our immigrant heritage, indeed of today's Alaska, where in Anchorage alone nearly 100 languages are spoken in the homes of the children in our public schools.
Not surprisingly, Palin did not dignify Hickel's passing with a formal acknowledgment on her Facebook page, but instead issued a shameful and shallow "reflection" on Twitter in her distinctive Palinese:

Upon his passing,we honor Gov Walter Hickel's life,he made real difference in the world.Unsurpassed impacts on Alaska,the Arctic&her people[sic]
That was it. Palin was well aware of Hickel's disdain, and she could not rise above her pettiness to issue the formal acknowledgment that his life and career warranted.

Indeed, these two figures represent the anithesis of Arctic politics. Whereas Hickel was a man whose destiny was always greater that his own, Palin's has always been wrapped up in her own self-interest. Whereas Palin is all about style, Hickel was a man of substance. In the end, the shadow of his political legacy in the Last Frontier will forever loom long beyond that of Sarah Palin's. His was real and transcendent--while hers is small and remains nothing but a fantasy.

</div></div>

Gayle in MD
06-19-2010, 05:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alaskans can rise above petty politics, hateful acts

BY WALLY HICKEL
COMMENT

Published: September 26th, 2009 05:34 PM
Last Modified: September 26th, 2009 05:35 PM

Both of my grandfathers left Southern Germany for America in the 1880s to escape what George Washington called in his Farewell Address "the toils of European ambition, rivalship and caprice."
German was the first language I heard at home. This changed when my older sister Gertrude returned from her first day at school, where her classmates made fun of her broken English. From then on, I rarely heard a German word spoken at home.

My family and their relatives lived through the Dust Bowl in Kansas, the Great Depression, and two world wars when their new homeland fought against the land of their ancestors.

Some Americans today are uncomfortable with the changing face of America. Anger and frustration are invading our national discourse. I urge us all to study our roots.

America's greatness is not in spite of our immigrants. It's because of our immigrants.

We are a mongrel nation. We are not a thoroughbred. We're not German or Irish, Hispanic or Asian, black or white, Christian or Jew. We are all those things and many more, and we don't all get tired at once. That's why America has always out-worked our competition.

During the presidential primaries last year, I liked what I saw in Barack Obama. I didn't see him as black. I saw him as a young American with a deep understanding of what America was meant to be and how we could regain our moral standing in the world.

When Gov. Sarah Palin surprised us by joining Sen. John McCain on the Republican ticket, I agreed to support her, sticking to my commitment to put "Alaska first." When she took the podium at the Republican National Convention, however, I was greatly disappointed. The race-against-race and class-against-class message of the McCain/Palin campaign was transparent.

I urged Sarah to take control of her message and appealed to her in this column "to rise above the worn-out, negative tactics of presidential politics and assume the role of stateswoman." (Op Ed of September 14, 2008).

My hopes were dashed. Palin became the spokesperson for the divisive voices in American politics. She dismissed the greatness of our immigrant heritage, indeed of today's Alaska, where in Anchorage alone nearly 100 languages are spoken in the homes of the children in our public schools.

She missed a golden opportunity to challenge the rest of the country to adopt the welcoming spirit of the Alaska frontier and the message of mutual respect championed by Bridge Builders of Anchorage and the School District that helped us win All-America City honors in 2002.

I believe that Alaska can be a model for America. We have much to offer, but we will fail if we don't deal with prejudice, not only against newly arrived immigrants but against anyone.

My wife Ermalee, a lifelong Alaskan, and I were outraged several years ago when high school students videotaped Alaska Natives as they shot them with paintball guns, and again this summer when Anchorage teenagers attacked a man apparently for no reason other than he was Eskimo.

These hateful acts must be strongly dealt with and condemned. They are especially offensive in light of the remarkable leadership today's Alaska Native community provides in business, politics and honoring cultural values.

When we represent Alaska to the rest of the country, let's go beyond our stereotypes. Let's explain that Alaska is a place of environmental excellence and spiritual renewal, a vast source of energy and resources, and a model for how commonly owned lands can benefit the people who live on them.

Let's also make Alaska known for respect for all people and reject those who would use racial and class division for personal or political reasons. Because those who do so are playing with forces in the souls of men that could sink our country into that pit of conflict and violence George Washington warned us about more than 200 years ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walter J. Hickel served as governor of Alaska from 1966 to 1968 and from 1990 to 1994 and as U.S. Secretary of the Interior from 1969 to 1970. He is the founder of the Institute of the North. His latest book is "Crisis in the Commons: the Alaska Solution."

</div></div>

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2009/09/26/950504/alaskans-can-rise-above-petty.html#ixzz0rLNH3pB5

wolfdancer
06-19-2010, 06:47 PM
I still believe Sarah's book....which makes a great doorstop by the way....her book was mistitled...it was supposed to read:
"Going Rouge" ...Sarah was giving make up advice for young, teen, unwed mothers.....

LWW
06-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Isn't it astounding that when the Puffington Host is, again, proven to be full of lies our leftist members will cling desperately to the lies while they swear how much they hate lies?

LWW

Gayle in MD
06-20-2010, 08:20 AM
[quote=wolfdancer]I still believe Sarah's book....which makes a great doorstop by the way....her book was mistitled...it was supposed to read:
"Going Rouge" ...Sarah was giving make up advice for young, teen, unwed mothersLike Rove, her book has been discounted by both left and right journalists. Even the McCain campaign directors, have exposed the fact that her book is nothing more than a victim mentality, written for the sole purpose of trashing everyone in it.

She's disgusting. She had to resign because authorities were closing in on her many acts of corruption and theft of Alaskans tax dollars. She probably would have resigned anyway, since money is her personal bank account is her interest. [/color] /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

LWW
06-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Isn't it amazing that the title of this thread is off ... shouldn't it be "More Lies About Palin" ... hmmmmm?

LWW

eg8r
06-21-2010, 07:59 AM
You know what is funny is all these partisan editorialists you like to quote that think they might actually know what they are talking about. Palin has more experience in the energy industry than any of these partisan pundits and especially more than anyone on this board.

eg8r

eg8r
06-21-2010, 08:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She's disgusting. She had to resign because authorities were closing in on her many acts of corruption and theft of Alaskans tax dollars. </div></div>More lies. There has not been any convictions of corruption or theft, just more lies by those intimidated by a strong woman.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-21-2010, 04:45 PM
YOu are wrong, Ed. she had to write out a nice big fat check for all the money she stole from Alaskans.

She was found to have abused her power.....by a bi-partisan senate panel in alaska, with a majority of Repubicans on it.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

bobroberts
06-21-2010, 05:20 PM
[quote=Gayle in MD]YOu are wrong, Ed. she had to write out a nice big fat check for all the money she stole from Alaskans.

She was found to have abused her power.....by a bi-partisan senate panel in alaska, with a majority of Repubicans on it.

Really show us the proof.

bobroberts
06-21-2010, 05:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sarah Palin has been busted for so many lies in the past year and a half, it's become nearly impossible to keep track of them all. Whenever she opens her mouth, she simply cannot stop herself from engaging in duplicities, exaggerations and half-truths that not-so-coincidentally always distort the political record in her favor. It's a pathology.

She did it again this week during a somewhat contentious interview with Bill O'Reilly in which she chastised her Fox News host out the gate: "I kind of have a big beef with you too though, Bill, if you don't acknowledge that President Obama is wrong on his call for a need for energy policy."

Award-winning writer and filmmaker Geoffrey Dunn's book The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power will be published by St. Martin's Press.

</div></div> </div></div>
This guy probably only sold 2 copies to his family because his acceptations are ridiculous.

wolfdancer
06-21-2010, 05:53 PM
BUT, to paraphrase Truman Capote....
"they were the right two people"

LWW
06-22-2010, 02:44 AM
So the thread is in reality another exposing of leftist lies ... and their desperate clinging to those lies.

LWW

eg8r
06-22-2010, 09:38 AM
She never stole anything. She was never convicted of anything. Just your inferiority complex jumping up and down like crazy over a strong woman in control.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She never stole anything. She was never convicted of anything. Just your inferiority complex jumping up and down like crazy over a strong woman in control.

eg8r </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF6666">She stole thousands, and didn't pay it back until the STATE forced her to pay it back.

Again, you cannot debate a single subject without nasty personal insults.

If you think Sarah Palin is in control, you've got a serious problem. The only thing she is in control of is her GREED, gross lies, and money grabbing opportunism, her LOVE OF MONEY, THE SO CALLED ROOT of all EVIL.

G.</span>

eg8r
06-22-2010, 10:02 AM
She has never been convicted of anything even though gayle likes to continue with the lie. Sarah is in control of her life and her families life and right now she is doing a great job of it.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-22-2010, 10:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She has never been convicted of anything even though gayle likes to continue with the lie. Sarah is in control of her life and her families life and right now she is doing a great job of it.

eg8r </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF6666">AS I told you, a bi-partisan Alaskan Senate panel, with a republican Majority, found her guilty of abusing her power while in office, and breaking the public's trust.

Control of her life and her family's life? LMAO, too bad she didn't have control of her daughter's failure to avoid an unwanted pregnancy until she got married.

I don't call it havinng control, when you're forty three years old, and you can't control youself enough to practice birth control and end up bringing a downs baby into the world, given the high odds of that result.

In control??? Not in my book.

G.

</span>

bobroberts
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Not in control,Huh she wanted her baby even though it had downs syndrome.
BTW you still haven't shown proof of her being convicted.
Another thing why bring up someone who isn't even running for office.What are the crazies leftists worried about except booting the bamster out of office.

Gayle in MD
06-22-2010, 06:58 PM
From here on, you're on ignore. I don't like your attitude. In fact, you've been insulting and nasty since you arrived.

Get some counseling. You're an angry person.

Bye....

g.

eg8r
06-22-2010, 08:59 PM
LOL, gayle hypocritically ignores this guy for an angry tone yet she is the one with all the bold and capitalized fonts. LOL.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-23-2010, 05:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, gayle hypocritically ignores this guy for an angry tone yet she is the one with all the bold and capitalized fonts. LOL.

eg8r </div></div>

Grow up, Ed. My policy is to ignore people who are nasty and unable to debate like adults. this guy has been on attack mode from post number one.

That's why you are usually on ignore, because you act like a nasty little toddler.

G.

eg8r
06-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Yet his post was neither angry or nasty. He just noticed that you were the one with the hot air and decided to respond. Hondo only attacks lww anymore and wolfie has been staying away from the politics as of late. Who else that is wrong most of the time other than you is posting for your team?

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-23-2010, 06:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet his post was neither angry or nasty. He just noticed that you were the one with the hot air and decided to respond. Hondo only attacks lww anymore and wolfie has been staying away from the politics as of late. Who else that is wrong most of the time other than you is posting for your team?

eg8r </div></div>
You say I'm wrong, I say you're wrong, AND completely uninformed on the issues.
Like I said, grow up. Stupid question. Who cares? You don't get to dictate, what I do.

G.

LWW
06-23-2010, 06:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet his post was neither angry or nasty. He just noticed that you were the one with the hot air and decided to respond. Hondo only attacks lww anymore and wolfie has been staying away from the politics as of late. Who else that is wrong most of the time other than you is posting for your team?

eg8r </div></div>
You say I'm wrong, I say you're wrong, AND completely uninformed on the issues.
Like I said, grow up. Stupid question. Who cares? You don't get to dictate, what I do.

G. </div></div>

And that isn't insulting and angry?

That is pure comedy gold.

LWW

eg8r
06-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Who cares? Obviously you do because you are the one that lied about his posts and called him angry. Who on earth do you think he should be responding to all the time if you are the only one that is always wrong? It only takes a little common sense to see that he is not attacking you, just responding to the only person that is always wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't get to dictate, what I do.</div></div>Where in the post that you quoted was I dictating what you are allowed to do? Is this yet another example of you twisting someone else's words?

By the way, your post sounds like you are already pitching a hissy fit this early in the morning and you are coming across as very angry.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-23-2010, 08:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares? Obviously you do because you are the one that lied about his posts and called him angry. Who on earth do you think he should be responding to all the time if you are the only one that is always wrong? It only takes a little common sense to see that he is not attacking you, just responding to the only person that is always wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't get to dictate, what I do.</div></div>Where in the post that you quoted was I dictating what you are allowed to do? Is this yet another example of you twisting someone else's words?

By the way, your post sounds like you are already pitching a hissy fit this early in the morning and you are coming across as very angry.

eg8r </div></div>

Like I said, elsewhere, Ed, I have no intention of enaging with you in a pissing contest. You do not get to decide whether or not someone's statements to me are offensive. I make that decision, not you.

Peace be with you....

G.

eg8r
06-23-2010, 08:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I said, elsewhere, Ed, I have no intention of enaging with you in a pissing contest.
</div></div>You never would own up when you are wrong.

eg8r

LWW
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't get to dictate, what I do.

G. </div></div>

Yet you have repeatedly attempted to dictate to others what they can do.

LWW