PDA

View Full Version : I-Pad Blues

Deeman3
06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Someone asked me about my new I-pad, I think it was ed. Anyway, After a few weeks of play, i discovered something strange. I had only 32Gig of memory while I had paid for 64!

I contacted Apple and they had me send it back. I now have to wait until July 2nd until they ship a new one. Just a lookouot in case you order one, check the memory right away.

The wifi works well in my office using my company wifi. The 3g is only $25 a month for 2 gigs of downloading and it automtatically switches if you lose one to the other. It is much more handy than my laptop for taking on the motorcycles but, of course, does not use my advanced photo software and windows programs like Powerpoint, Words and others can't be downloaded but the Apple versions will open and edit documents easily.

The neat things are like showing people photos, watching a movie anywhere with no other stuff needed and while the on screen keyboard is nice, the wireless one I bought is really great for taking notes, etc. in meetings. This has got to be the mother of all batteries, they say 10 hours but it seems to be going 14 or so for me. I am trying to figure out if I can do pokerstars type interactive games as the games I have used (mostly racing and stuff from Apple) are a little lame but seem good those who like those type games. It can tell directions, north/south/etc and the thing has a Wei type sensor for moving race cars, etc. in the games. I have not downloaded an app for GPS as it does not have it's own but I look forward to that. I hate having a GPS on my handlebars so it might be nice to whip out the i-pad and get a map on the road.

DeeWoman bought me a carrying case that fits the name as it is designed as big maxi pad with side shields and is surprisingly useful to stand it up while watching movies. It looks cool and there are some knock your socks off visual stuff you can wow the many folks who like to ask you about it. Of course, in NYC these are all over the place but here, they are not common.

I have my IT guys looking into hooking it into our system here for e-mail and other documents so I can make an excuse to myself to buy all my managers one for Christmas. Anyone who may know my guys, please don't spill those beans as I have not fully decided it can be that useful here yet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Anyway, anyone else have one? If so, if you know the best Apps for me to download, let me know. Understand, before this, I did not even have an i-phone to my two daughter's everlasting embarrassment.

My oldest daughter, my son-in-law and my grandkids will be attending Wimbledon this week. My daughter says to look and if you see any kids being thrown out of the place on TV, it will my grandsons. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
06-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Nice review. My in-laws have one each and they love it. This weekend I showed them how to use Handbrake to convert movies from their DVDs to the h.264 codec used by the iPad and they have been encoding ever since. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Have you tried to download Apple versions of Word, excel, etc? I believe they will open your .doc files and then save them back as .doc when you are done. I have not fooled with it yet but those programs are like $4.95 each. Not too bad.

Cool thing with the email (in the next version of software which you cannot get for another month or so) is that you can merge your multiple email accounts. If your IT dept will allow you to pass your work email to the iPad then you can use just one inbox for work and personal email which is great because you don't have to switch back and forth. Also, you will have the ability to view your email in threaded view. This is the same as looking in Outlook and sorting "by subject".

I love the IPS screen and cannot wait till Thursday when I get my new iPhone. It will come with the same IPS screen and almost the same resolution but on a much smaller screen. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The hospital network my wife works for is looking at using iPads for all the doctors. Since they are on electronic medical records now the just need an app to talk with the EMR system and a doctor could have access to a patients entire history all on one screen. Pretty cool.

eg8r

Deeman3
06-21-2010, 01:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice review. My in-laws have one each and they love it. This weekend I showed them how to use Handbrake to convert movies from their DVDs to the h.264 codec used by the iPad and they have been encoding ever since. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<span style="color: #FF0000">Thanks, Ed, that is exactly what I was looking for before I had to send it off. </span>

Have you tried to download Apple versions of Word, excel, etc? I believe they will open your .doc files and then save them back as .doc when you are done. I have not fooled with it yet but those programs are like $4.95 each. Not too bad.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yes, that's exactly what I use and it is so similar I can barely tell the difference. </span>

Cool thing with the email (in the next version of software which you cannot get for another month or so) is that you can merge your multiple email accounts. If your IT dept will allow you to pass your work email to the iPad then you can use just one inbox for work and personal email which is great because you don't have to switch back and forth. Also, you will have the ability to view your email in threaded view. This is the same as looking in Outlook and sorting "by subject".

<span style="color: #FF0000">I hope so. I'll ask him to do this if we can. It should be possible as I now access both my business and personal ones at home and at work. Thanks! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

I love the IPS screen and cannot wait till Thursday when I get my new iPhone. It will come with the same IPS screen and almost the same resolution but on a much smaller screen. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<span style="color: #FF0000">It is nice. I thought the small screen would be bad for visual stuff but it is so claer and the backlighting makes it easy to read in about every condition. </span>

The hospital network my wife works for is looking at using iPads for all the doctors. Since they are on electronic medical records now the just need an app to talk with the EMR system and a doctor could have access to a patients entire history all on one screen. Pretty cool.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> I understand they are coming out with new business Apps every day so I hope I can find something like that for manufacturing one day. They say it is much more likely than it was for I-phone with the bigger screen and more computer apps to use. </span>

eg8r </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> I don't fully understand the whole problem with not having Flash but I get Utube and have had no problem seeing graphics but I guess I will "miss having it" once I use it all day, every day! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks for your help. Now just to get a Stephen Colbert type suit made with a pocket for it! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span>