PDA

View Full Version : Joint Protectors

TommyT
08-25-2002, 06:59 PM
What purpose other than the obvious do joint protectors serve? Even the obvious reason seems as though it's not neccessary.Why do we need JP's when we all carry our cues in a case? Help me here I'm not getting this.

And yes,all my cues have them.
TommyT

Harold Acosta
08-25-2002, 08:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TommyT:</font><hr> What purpose other than the obvious do joint protectors serve? Even the obvious reason seems as though it's not neccessary.Why do we need JP's when we all carry our cues in a case? Help me here I'm not getting this.

And yes,all my cues have them.
TommyT <hr></blockquote>

Tommy, have you seen anyone drop their cues when taking them out of their cue case? Just imagine your cue slipping from you hands, pin first, to the ground! Ouch! You could bend or break the pin off the butt! A broken pin, could cost anywhere between $50 - $100 to replace.

Now, to the obvious. If you have taken your joint protector off, and your cue happens to drop like I said before, well...that is another matter!

My 2 "centavos" on this topic.

Harold ~ also has joint protectors on his cues....

SPetty
08-25-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi TommyT,

Michelle from Hawleys can tell you stories of people who bring in their cues that don't fit together any more. The problem seems to be stuff down in the hole where the pin goes. A joint protector will keep that stuff out of the hole.

rackmup
08-26-2002, 06:46 AM
<ul type="square"> Because they look cool.
Good lookin' gals like men that use them.
Intimidation factor.
When the juke box is too loud, you can use them as ear plugs.
When placed on the table at just the right moment, they can cause your opponent to miss his shot.
Because I own stock in "WorldWide Joint Protectors" and it's up $30.00.
They protect your pin.
[/list]

Regards,

Ken

stickman
08-26-2002, 07:08 AM
I don't smoke that stuff anymore, so I don't need one. Oh, you're not talking about those joint protectors? Of course it helps prevent bending of the pin, but also helps prevent the pin from eventually working a hole in the bottom of your cue case, and as SPetty has stated, the other protector will prevent lint and other foreign substances from getting inside the female end.

Rod
08-26-2002, 12:36 PM
Tommy, I've questioned that myself. Personally I've never dropped my cue and I don't like taking the dam things on and off 2 cues every time I play. Yes I own some but never had any for my jump cue. You know when you take them off how they roll around somewhere, or fall out of a pocket in your case? I keep them on my spare shafts sometimes, but that's it. Heck I haven't looked lately, I may not even have any. Oh no what do I do now!lol

Cueless Joey
08-26-2002, 12:39 PM
I dropped my shaft one time on a concrete floor, joint end first. Put a nice ding on the collar.
That's why shafts need jp's.

TommyT
08-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Does any one really play somewhere thats not carpeted? I've been to some sleazy poolhalls but they have been carpeted. Some carpets cleaner than others.
TommyT

Cueless Joey
08-26-2002, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TommyT:</font><hr> Does any one really play somewhere thats not carpeted? I've been to some sleazy poolhalls but they have been carpeted. Some carpets cleaner than others.
TommyT <hr></blockquote>
I was at the cuemaker's garage/shop. Yikes! Judd saw it himself and cringed. lol He fixed when I had the cue refinished later.
You can still hit the chair and table legs though.

NH_Steve
08-26-2002, 07:07 PM
I didn't have them for quite a while, but then started to develop the problem of the butt screw worming its way into the padding at the end of the case! Needless to say, now I have them.

08-26-2002, 07:19 PM
I was with my friend when he dropped his shaft as he was going to put one on.

Cueless Joey
08-26-2002, 07:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Raymond:</font><hr> I was with my friend when he dropped his shaft as he was going to put one on. <hr></blockquote>
Welcome to the dinged collar club. lol

Barbara
08-26-2002, 07:26 PM
"Thou shalt protect thy male and female joints."

-Unknown, but probably a custom Cue maker.

Barbara~~~wanted to add something but realized what an innuendo it is! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif!