PDA

View Full Version : Trucker campgrounds

eg8r
06-25-2010, 06:46 AM
My family has owned and operated a successful trucking company for about 40 years now and the one thing I hated most was going to truckstops. Not because of the food or seeing all the "lot lizards" but because of the sound and smell. I grew up in these types of places and probably the close second would be the nasty bathrooms. Well it looks like Florida is playing catch-up with the rest of the US in solving the noise and smell issue...

link... (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-trucks-turnpike-electricity-20100625,0,6663027.story)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The state and a vendor intend to do something about cleaning up that noxious atmosphere through a new electrical device and a state law that will ban long-term idling in 2013.

First up will be the installation of 40 machines known as AireDocks that will attach to the cab of a truck and provide cooling and heating, as well as power for such amenities as televisions and computers. The machines, being set up at two Central Florida service plazas, have been underwritten with a $480,000 federal grant.

Turnpike officials hope truckers will use the machines which would cost about $2.25 an hour to use because it would eliminate exhaust emissions of nitrogen oxide, carbon dioxide and even soot. Noise from the engines would be gone, too.
</div></div>It sounds just like pulling your motor home into a campground and hooking up power and water. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif While this will not affect our business since the two sites will be within 40-50 miles of our office we are hoping the idea gains some momentum and is implemented across the state and up the east coast all the way to Maine. This will save fuel costs tremendously over the course of a year in which we are spending close $25k per month as it is now. Not to mention all the maintenance that could be reduced by operating the trucks for less time.

eg8r