PDA

View Full Version : Loving my new iPhone

eg8r
06-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Well, yesterday I spent a ridiculous amount of time being herded through a line at the Apple store. I had reserved my new phone but quickly grew tired of waiting in a long line. At the end of the day though it was all worth the wait. I love the new phone and cannot get over how big of a jump in technology there is from my 3g compared to this phone.

eg8r

Chopstick
06-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Really. I have a 3g that I am not very impressed with. I heard the new ones were not that much better.

eg8r
06-25-2010, 09:09 AM
What is it that does not impress you? I kept my 3g for 2 years and loved it.

eg8r

Chopstick
06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Can't get a bluetooth ear piece that will work with it correctly. I had a first gen Iphone that I used with bluetooth for years and it worked fine. On my 3g I can't even use bluetooth. The reception is too bad. Then there is no tethering. I had a blackberry I could plug into the USB and run VPN right into work and it worked fine. I had a 3mb connection through Verison EVDO. This so called 3g protocol can't even do that yet. I don't think 4g is going to be much better. EVDO has worked fine for years. Why is everybody getting on the 3g/4g bandwagon? It certainly doesn't appear to be an improvement.

eg8r
06-25-2010, 09:44 AM
My Blueant bluetooth worked well and so did the Jawbone. I never really heard this being to big a complaint and haven't heard about it on iphone 4 yet either. As for tethering, it is available now and that was the fault of AT&T not the iPhone.

As far as 3g/4g bandwagon, my 3g iPhone was considerably faster than the original iPhone when surfing the net. AT&T's upgrades will allow up to 7.2 down and 5.6 up when it makes it to Orlando. The 5.6 up is only capable on an iPhone 4 though, the 3g does not have the capability.

eg8r

Chopstick
06-25-2010, 09:51 AM
That sounds promising. Did they make you sign another 2 year contract to change the phone over?

eg8r
06-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Oh yeah. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif If you want a subsidized phone then you definitely have to sign the 2 year agreement. You can pay a drastically higher price if you don't want the two year agreement.

eg8r

Deeman3
06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Ed,

What does a normal plan for the 4g run per month? I am thinking of going with the 4g but only have an old style cell phone now.

With my Verizon net hook-up, the I-pad and a phone bill, it seems we are paying left and right for these little "convienences". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
06-25-2010, 11:06 AM
The phone is just called iPhone 4 and it does not refer to 3g or 4g service. To use the iPhone if would increase your monthly plan by a max $25 at this point. With your current plan you would only add on the iPhone data plan which is capped at 2gb for $25. If you go over then it is an additional $10. If you want data tethering then that is additional $20 I think.

I know a few people that got rid of their iPhone when they got an their 3g iPad. They like having a phone to be a phone and then iPad for everything else.

eg8r

Deeman3
06-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Yes, I was thinking about using the I-pad as a phone (not my main cell) but as I don't even know what tethering is (I thought it was the new leash law for cats in Vermont!

My dream was to have the I-pad replce my laptop for most media applications and to watch a movie or two. I may have to get more technically competent to really use it as such, beyond the movies, etc. When I get the replacement in I am going to download every app I can and see which ones are helpful. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

wolfdancer
06-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Nothing more enjoyable then watching a movie,like say "Exodus".... made for a big screen.......and viewing it on a 3" screen.
Do they still make phone, phones, where you can just call another person and talk?...or has texting replaced speech?

eg8r
06-25-2010, 12:29 PM
iPad is about 9.7", certainly not a big screen and who watches teh "exodus" anymore anyways? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It is pretty funny to hear people complain about the size of the screen yet when I am sitting at the airport watching a movie there are plenty of adult heads leaning over to also watch. How many poeple find themselves sitting in the Dr's office with 5 month old magazines and the news channel on Fox wishing they could be watching something better?

As far as phones for just calling people, there are plenty and I know a few iPad owners that have gotten rid of their iPhone or other smartphone for a regular phone.

eg8r

Deeman3
06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
The picture quality is very good, no matter the screen size. It is so good, sitting there with it on your lap is as good as I see on my 50" screens at home. Miss "All my Children" not a problem, it is there instantly.

And yes! Ed has a great point about killing time with it. No long load-up delays in the thing, just turn it on a start watching, surfing, etc. Weather, news and toehr stuff is about 1/10 of a second away. Yes, brouse an actual magazine you want to see, not a 6 month old Women's Wear Daily. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

You have got to get one of them....There are a lot of things I have spent a grand on that are not near as useful. I am not sure the full 64Gig was necessary but it will hold S**tpot full of stuff. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
06-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Aw, I'm just jealous cause I can't buy one with my food stamps.
I'm also p.o'd. that I didn't buy Apple stock when it was $13...that was before Mac came out, and Mr. Softee's MSdos looked to be the wave of the future.

Sid_Vicious
06-25-2010, 07:17 PM
So what is the monthly costs? sid

wolfdancer
06-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Sid, you are asking the wrong person...I have enough problems with my rotary dial phone, let alone an Iphone. But you probably meant to address that to Dee....and I'd be interested to know the cost also.....

Deeman3
06-26-2010, 07:38 AM
$15 for like 200megs a month or $25 for unlimited, really capped at 2 gigs. Not bad and you don't havce to sign a long term agreement, it is month to month.

The i-pad ranges from $499 for the 16gig non-3g modle to $831 for the 64gig w/3g the one I got.

eg8r
06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
If you choose a 3g version then you will pay like $25/month for a 2gb data plan. If you get wifi only then there is no monthly fee (provided you saved up and did not buy it on a credit card).

eg8r