PDA

View Full Version : The LONG or the SHORT of it??

Soflasnapper
07-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Quick question.

Assume you're kicking to an object ball hanging in the corner pocket from the side pocket area on the same long-rail side of the table.

Consider the two possibilities other than hitting that ball: 1) you miss the corner pocket and hit the short rail a little distance up from where you would have hit that object ball or 2) you miss on the other side, and hit the long rail instead of getting to the corner pocket.

One is missing the kick 'long,' and one is missing the kick 'short.' Which is which?

I ask because my opinion is opposite a couple of players I've asked, and I'm wondering if their or my use of long/short is standard or opposite to common usage.

I'm not saying now what I'd say, so as not to influence the answers.

TIA

Bambu
07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
If you kicked long, you hit the short rail.

Jal
07-02-2010, 04:21 PM
What Bambu said--it has nothing to do with long or short rails.

If you measure the incoming and outgoing (rebound) angles with respect to a perpendicular to the cushion, an angle of zero degrees would be straight into the cushion (or straight out), while ninety degrees would be parallel to it. With this in mind, if the angle off the cushion is too great, then the bank or kick is termed "long." If the angle is too small, then it is termed "short."

I've never come across any other usage.

Jim

Tony_in_MD
07-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I agree with Bambu and Jal.

pooltchr
07-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Yep! Think of it this way...if you went past your target, you went long...if you didn't quite get there, you came up short.

Steve

Rich R.
07-03-2010, 06:51 AM
I also agree with Bambu and Jal.

JoeW
07-03-2010, 09:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep! Think of it this way...if you went past your target, you went long...if you didn't quite get there, you came up short.

Steve </div></div>

There is an explanation to remember. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Soflasnapper
07-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks all; that's what I thought, too!

I didn't realize I set up the question situation so hitting the short rail was going long, and going short was hitting the long rail-- that was an accident, and of course, not part of my question, exactly.

It's only that had I asked about kicking to a ball in the middle of the short rail, I couldn't easily say which side the miss was on without using my understanding of the 'long/short' meaning, and didn't want to prejudice the replies.

I'm guessing that the disagreement I got with the people was because they are auto-didacts when it comes to pool. Like most people, actually.

SpiderMan
07-06-2010, 03:37 PM
If the kick went wide, I would call this going "long".

JJFSTAR
07-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Interesting terminology; I have (to my recollection) never heard of a kick or bank that was missed wide ever be described as missed “long”. Short yes, all the time. I have also heard self descriptors of missed banks and kicks as hard and soft, hard being short and soft being wide just because those are speed effects.

I have heard “inside” and “outside” also. I suppose that that is either a description of the miss relative to the original CB position or the over or under compensation of the right or left English that they used. I am either crazy or not nearly as attentive to what people say as I think I am. But to my recollection I have yet to hear someone say “yea he missed that bank long”.

eg8r
07-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I would think if the ball hit the short rail then you hit the bank long, my reasoning is that you tried for too large a bank angle.

eg8r