PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a table??

02-27-2002, 01:58 PM
I am getting ready to re-felt my table, I have heard of a few different things being used but wanted your opinions.
What should be used between the pieces of slate?I heard bee's wax and a couple others but wanted some input. Thanks in advance

JimS
02-27-2002, 02:46 PM
Hi Shawn,

I've had problems with the slate "popping" or seperating and creating a ridge on both of the tables I've had. Brady Behrman recommended a product called Liquid Dowel, available from him, which is used to keep the slates together. That, along with a high quality melted bees wax has worked well for me.

I've heard pros and cons regarding auto body filler being used to fill the slate seams. I don't personally like it. Bees wax for me.

You can find Brady's email address somewhere here on the ccb.

Regards, JimS ~ wishing there would be a Superman Classic!!

Brady_Behrman
02-27-2002, 07:31 PM
That liquid dowel is NO JOKE...Did you see how well it bonds the slate together? Any Problems using it?

Brady

02-28-2002, 01:36 AM
I refelted a table years ago. At the time, someone at a retail billiards store suggested Durhams (sp?) Water Puddy for the seams and bolt holes. The table in question was VERY used and needed help. I leveled the slate, used the Durhams Water Puddy for the seams, imperfections, etc. and used a belt sander (very carefully) to make everything nice and smooth. Covered with cloth after and was very impressed with the results. No "popping" after years of use. I sold the table to a small business sometime later. They were not interested in having the table refelted, so we moved the whole thing without disassembling across town and up a bunch of stairs (4-5 people). After setting it down and shimming one of the legs, the table played perfect. No slate issues whatsoever.
Fast forward to the present.
I took delivery of a brand new table in December. The installer used wax for the seems. That made sense to me since wax would be a lot easier to remove later if need be (moving table, etc.) Well it's not quite March and I am already dealing with "popped" slate issues. This is unacceptable to me. Actually, it only took 3 weeks to "pop." I am very interested in the consensus on this issue, since I need to have the slate "fixed." The problem is minor, and so far hasn't affected play (I'm the only one who noticed it), but being a perfectionist (you know what I'm talking about) forces me to do something about it soon. I never needed to remove the water puddy for any reason, so I do not know what that task may involve.

Tim

02-28-2002, 01:39 AM
What type of product is Liquid Dowel anyway? Hard as a rock once set? Water based? Thanks...

Tim

JimS
02-28-2002, 12:24 PM
Brady,
I used the Liquid Dowel a couple months ago and so far all is well....as I said in my post.

Where the hell did you get the idea that I suggested that Liquid Dowel was a joke? There is NOTHING in my post to indicate that I thought there was something funny about the product. I don't understand your reply to that post?! I liked the stuff and said so very clearly.

Regards, JimS ~~ the smiley face indicates happy!

Brady_Behrman
03-02-2002, 10:23 AM
sorry, You interpreted my post wrong

I am just very happy with the product.

Thanks,
Brady

JimS
03-02-2002, 10:33 AM
I realized that AFTER I got all excited Brady. Man, I can be one touchy sumbitch sometimes! Sorry to have yelled at you.

I'm excited about the product to. IT WORKS.

Regards, JimS

Brady_Behrman
03-02-2002, 11:49 AM
No Problem and No harm intended.

We all act too fast sometimes.

Your Friend,
Brady

Chris Cass
03-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Hi Brady,
Jim, practices and plays with the same intensity. That's that killer instinct in him. However, I heard him talk about how much he liked the stuff and how You told him about it and believe sold him some.

I too know he's nothing but a Big Teddy Bear. Scratch that, he's dropping pounds and belt sizes he's a lil bear. HAHAHAHA
Sincerely,
C.C.~~Jim liquid doweled his door so I'd stayed and practiced with him. Well, racked anyway.LOLLOLLOL