PDA

View Full Version : Coalition Of The Heartless, Clueless & Confused

Gayle in MD
07-05-2010, 10:53 AM
<span style="color: #FF0000">Sounds like the righties on here, doesn't it, lol. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Op-Ed Columnist
Punishing the Jobless
By PAUL KRUGMAN
Published: July 4, 2010
There was a time when everyone took it for granted that unemployment insurance, which normally terminates after 26 weeks, would be extended in times of persistent joblessness. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>It was, most people agreed, the decent thing to do. </span>

But that was then. Today, American workers face the worst job market since the Great Depression, with five job seekers for every job opening, with the average spell of unemployment now at 35 weeks. Yet the Senate went home for the holiday weekend without extending benefits. How was that possible?
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>
The answer is that we’re facing a coalition of the heartless, the clueless and the confused. Nothing can be done about the first group, and probably not much about the second. But maybe it’s possible to clear up some of the confusion. </span>
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>By the heartless, I mean Republicans who have made the cynical calculation that blocking anything President Obama tries to do — including, or perhaps especially, anything that might alleviate the nation’s economic pain — improves their chances in the midterm elections. Don’t pretend to be shocked: you know they’re out there, and make up a large share of the G.O.P. caucus. </span>
<span style='font-size: 17pt'>By the clueless I mean people like Sharron Angle, the Republican candidate for senator from Nevada, who has repeatedly insisted that the unemployed are deliberately choosing to stay jobless, so that they can keep collecting benefits. A sample remark: “You can make more money on unemployment than you can going down and getting one of those jobs that is an honest job but it doesn’t pay as much. We’ve put in so much entitlement into our government that we really have spoiled our citizenry.” </span>
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Now, I don’t have the impression that unemployed Americans are spoiled; desperate seems more like it. One doubts, however, that any amount of evidence could change Ms. Angle’s view of the world — and there are, unfortunately, a lot of people in our political class just like her. </span>
But there are also, one hopes, at least a few political players who are honestly misinformed about what unemployment benefits do — who believe, for example, that <span style='font-size: 17pt'>Senator Jon Kyl, Republican of Arizona, was making sense when he declared that extending benefits would make unemployment worse, because “continuing to pay people unemployment compensation is a disincentive for them to seek new work.” So let’s talk about why that belief is dead wrong. </span>
Do unemployment benefits reduce the incentive to seek work? Yes: workers receiving unemployment benefits aren’t quite as desperate as workers without benefits, and are likely to be slightly more choosy about accepting new jobs. The operative word here is “slightly”: recent economic research suggests that the effect of unemployment benefits on worker behavior is much weaker than was previously believed. Still, it’s a real effect when the economy is doing well.

But it’s an effect that is completely irrelevant to our current situation. When the economy is booming, and lack of sufficient willing workers is limiting growth, generous unemployment benefits may keep employment lower than it would have been otherwise. But as you may have noticed, right now the economy isn’t booming — again, there are five unemployed workers for every job opening. Cutting off benefits to the unemployed will make them even more desperate for work — but they can’t take jobs that aren’t there.

Wait: there’s more. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>One main reason there aren’t enough jobs right now is weak consumer demand. Helping the unemployed, by putting money in the pockets of people who badly need it, helps support consumer spending. That’s why the Congressional Budget Office rates aid to the unemployed as a highly cost-effective form of economic stimulus. And unlike, say, large infrastructure projects, aid to the unemployed creates jobs quickly — while allowing that aid to lapse, which is what is happening right now, is a recipe for even weaker job growth, not in the distant future but over the next few months.

But won’t extending unemployment benefits worsen the budget deficit? Yes, slightly — but as I and others have been arguing at length,<span style='font-size: 26pt'> penny-pinching in the midst of a severely depressed economy is no way to deal with our long-run budget problems.</span> And penny-pinching at the expense of the unemployed is cruel as well as misguided. </span>
<span style='font-size: 26pt'>So, is there any chance that these arguments will get through? Not, I fear, to Republicans: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something,” said Upton Sinclair, “when his salary” — or, in this case, his hope of retaking Congress — “depends upon his not understanding it.” But there are also centrist Democrats who have bought into the arguments against helping the unemployed. It’s up to them to step back, realize that they have been misled — and do the right thing by passing extended benefits. </span>A version of this op-ed appeared in print on July 5, 2010, on page A17 of the New York edition. </div></div>

LWW
07-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Agreed ... why are the demokooks so cold, cruel, and heartless that they won't take 1% of the remaining stimulus money to help those that are hurting because of the regime's policies?

LWW

hondo
07-05-2010, 07:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed ... why are the demokooks so cold, cruel, and heartless

LWW </div></div>

NO,LARRY,NO! I'M NOT COLD, CRUEL AND HEARTLESS!!
Sometimes you make me feel like Eric Burdon.
Oh, Lord, please don't make me be misunderstood!

http://www.mtv.com/videos/the-animals/155058/dont-let-me-be-misunderstood.jhtml

eg8r
07-06-2010, 08:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coalition Of The Heartless, Clueless & Confused </div></div>Well considering your partisan stance on the oil spill it has so clearly defined you it is scary. Your laughing at the situation was clear enough.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
07-06-2010, 09:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coalition Of The Heartless, Clueless & Confused </div></div>Well considering your partisan stance on the oil spill it has so clearly defined you it is scary. Your laughing at the situation was clear enough.

eg8r </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF6666">More fact twisting. I was laughing at you, Ed, as I am usually doing when I read anything you write.
As you said, being a Republican, and a beach lover, you are now between a rock and a hard place....LMAO!
G. </span>

cushioncrawler
07-06-2010, 10:54 PM
If i were King i would eliminate unemployment benefits, by eliminating unemployment.
If i were King (i dont mean larry) workers would invite employers to apply to the workers.
If i were King there would be no unions.
If i were King the TV news would inklood the current % of job'surplus, not the % of job'less.
rexMac.

Gayle in MD
07-08-2010, 06:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If i were King i would eliminate unemployment benefits, by eliminating unemployment.
If i were King (i dont mean larry) workers would invite employers to apply to the workers.
If i were King there would be no unions.
If i were King the TV news would inklood the current % of job'surplus, not the % of job'less.
rexMac. </div></div>

Well, Mac, I have to disagree with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the heartless, I mean Republicans who have made the cynical calculation that blocking anything President Obama tries to do — including, or perhaps especially, anything that might alleviate the nation’s economic pain — improves their chances in the midterm elections. Don’t pretend to be shocked: you know they’re out there, and make up a large share of the G.O.P. caucus.
By the clueless I mean people like Sharron Angle, the Republican candidate for senator from Nevada, who has repeatedly insisted that the unemployed are deliberately choosing to stay jobless, so that they can keep collecting benefits. A sample remark: “You can make more money on unemployment than you can going down and getting one of those jobs that is an honest job but it doesn’t pay as much. We’ve put in so much entitlement into our government that we really have spoiled our citizenry.”
</div></div>

We have no job surplus. We're still trying to scratch our way back from the disastrous Bush administration which left the country7 hemmoraging jobs by the hundreds of thousands a month, after running the country into a debt ditch. Trying to recover from a spendoholic, government expanding, bunch of crooks, which blew the surplus, corrupted the government, F-d up two wars, franchised al Qaeda, lied the country into a war over WMD threats, when there were no WMD to be found, and Bush was TOLD by our counter terrorist Chief, and many in the CIA that Saddam had no WMD's, but insisted on invading on pre-emption ideology, which was against the Constitution.

Richard Clarke tells the whole story in his book, and there were many others who resigned in protest, and told the samje story, testified under oath, that Cheney and Bush were pushing them to cherry pick intel to fit their pre White House, Iraq invasion, agenda. Even the British memo states the administration is trying to fit the intelligence to their invasion policy. Dozens of them wrote books, saying the same thing. Were any of them arrested for lying to Congress? NO! Did Bush or Cheney sue any of them, or accuse them of lying in a court? NO! did they ever even address the exposure of the British Memo?

Unemployment insurance benefits are paid into by American workers. Paying them out in a bad economy, stimulates the economy more than tax cuts, that's been proven. Republicans are blocking the extension of the benefits, because they want the economy to continue to slide, so they can get re-elected, and gain seats. They said all along they wanted Obama to fail.

Our Middle Class had decent lives, and some opportunities to advance, before Reagan destroyed the unions. Since then, other than the Clinton era, the Middle Class has seen their wages, and their opportuities, and working conditions, go down the drain.

No society can advance, or even stay even with the board, when the Middle Class workers are exploited to the point where only the top one percent, owns ninety percent of the wealth.

Republican policies favor the wealthy, period! Unions are necessary. Without unions, we are going back to the days of sweat shops, unsafe working conditions, unsafe transportation, and the continued invasion of cheap labor, and more outsourcing of American Jobs.

These are all results of Republicans and their policies, recently eight years or power in the White House, with a blank check Republican majority, which did nothing at all to address a single damned urgent domestic issue facing this country.

They did Nothing about the growing health care crises, it was denied by the right, although 62% of the mortgage defaults, resulted from health care expenses, and corrupt insurance pratices. They did nothing.

The illegal alien invasion that's been going on since REAGAN invited more to come, they did nothing.

The unprecedented warnings of the coming 9/11 attack, they did nothing.

The huge losses of revenue due to tax evaders, private and corporate, hiding their money off shore, BUT ThEY DID NOTHING.

The fact that the world is running out of oil, and we are the biggest users, and must create renewble, clean energy, if we are to survive, and if our children are to have any mmanufacturing base from which they can be assured of jobs for the future, BUT they did nothing!

The Global Warming climate change threat, widely touted by respected Scientists all over the world. They did nothing.

Much as they refuse to acknowledge it, we have a President, and we have a Democratic majority, which has been working many more long hours than the former Republican majority ever did, on all of these dire issues, and with a pretty good record, so far, of getting the ball moving on them. Who is obstructing the progress?

G.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

cushioncrawler
07-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Gayle -- That iz all korrekt. The theusofa constitution iz useless. Praps worse than useless. It iz a recipe for failure. It relys on death. It thrives on death. Death of companys etc. But its DNA inkloods its own death. In fakt it died a few years ago. In fakt, the theusofa az described in the constitution haz never existed.
In the history of the world the theusofa constitution kums in at No2 for the bestest. The No1 woz Germany's in 1933. A constitution made by the theusofa with the help of others. We all remember 1933 dont we.
madMac.

Gayle in MD
07-08-2010, 08:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle -- That iz all korrekt. The theusofa constitution iz useless. Praps worse than useless. It iz a recipe for failure. It relys on death. It thrives on death. Death of companys etc. But its DNA inkloods its own death. In fakt it died a few years ago. In fakt, the theusofa az described in the constitution haz never existed.
In the history of the world the theusofa constitution kums in at No2 for the bestest. The No1 woz Germany's in 1933. A constitution made by the theusofa with the help of others. We all remember 1933 dont we.
madMac. </div></div>

Well, Mac, I am proud of my country's efforts in WWI and WWII. Of our wars, I have not done a thorough study of the Korean War, I was not proud of our interference in Vietnam, it was wrong headed, nor of our inhumane policies, ....shoot anything and everythiing that moves. Not proud of that, at all.

Some think that if you label any campaign with the word, WAR, all inhumane behavior, is to be overlooked. That is WRONG! without honor, we are nothing.

Our country surely hit a new low during the Bush Administration, many illegal activities, a completely corrupted government, and congress, and I was very disappinted that Democratics did not impeach Bush, /Rice, Rumsfeld and Cheney, a mistake which I believe is an black mark on the Democratic Party, we should have impeached, surely, given their secret renditions and torture, illegal spying, breaking the Geneva Conventions, the FISA laws, their lying the country into the fiasco in Iraq, among many others, and IMO, Republicans continue their discriminatory, divisive, hate filled attacks against women, gay and lesbian citizens, and soldiers, and African Americans, and now, Mexicans.

Republicans have reached a new low, in my eyes. I have watched the demise of our country, and, as you know, it continues as we write, led by rRpublican stated philosophies of blocking recovery, and stating that they will work at seeing our current president, fail, and hence, our country, fail.
It is very sad to watch.

G.

cushioncrawler
07-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Gayle -- Surely its not too late -- praps Queen Elizabeth would accept an apology from the theusofa -- kood theusofa be worse off with a Queen -- long liv the Queen -- God save the Queen.
Hmmmmm -- wait a mo -- praps we kan leev out that "God" bit.
madMac.