PDA

View Full Version : Weight Bolt For A Mezz Cue??????

Sid_Vicious
07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
I have a Mezz cue, supposedly it has no weight bolt in it right now but I have not checked that out yet. I have a guy entirely(NPR) who can cut me a bolt,,,I want to boost the weight from the 19oz to 20oz to see if it plays like an old Gilbert used to play for me.

Anyone here know the thread count and depth of the bolt I need for the Mezz? I presume all Mezz cues bolt the same, but I could be wrong. AND NO, I prefer to wiggle around going directly to the Mezz corp to pay double retail for these. I may very well live with the existing weight, or get my friend to cut me a variety and play around. Thanks. sid

SpiderMan
07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Get a bolt that weighs more than one ounce, and have him shorten it until it weighs exactly one ounce.

Or, if the cue turns out to have already a bolt, weigh it and then have him cut it until it weighs one ounce less than before.

SpiderMan

Rich R.
07-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Sid, verify that there is no weight bolt in it first. If there is none, but there are threads to accept a bolt, you may be able to determine what size the bolt should be from the threads. Then you could get the proper size bolt to fit and work from there.

Another posibility is that the cue is not made to accept a weight bolt. Altough bolts are standard in most production cues, you can not assume the cue will take one.

Sid_Vicious
07-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Rich,

Well I did pull the bumper, and there WAS a bolt, 0.5oz...a long sucker too! The guy who sold me the cue said again just last night, "No there's no weight bolt in there." How do you figure a cue seller being untruthful ;-), :-) Anyway is seems MezzUSA sells these bolts for a little over 3 bucks, plus stupid shipping to double the overall cost. I'm deciding to say F-it and just go with an on-line order.

Apparently there's no difference between Mezz cue models since the order screen has no option for a particular model(my expectation all along.) Here is the basic details, minus the actual thread count and length.

Whole cue weight 18.89oz(light for The Sidney's style)
Bolt: 0.5oz

Mezz only offers .5 thru 2.0oz bolts, and my initial aim was to hit 20oz since an old Gilbert cue of mine I lost some time ago, weighing something 20.1oz, played so well for me. My idea is to get the 0.5oz and 1.0oz bolts without being stubborn for that 0.2oz difference on the high end of 20.1oz. I could go to a 1.5oz and shave it down, but that sort of feels anal. Also, this Mezz cue is a steel joint where as the Gilbert was a basic W-W, with a phenolic collar. There will be some difference in the pivot point, and I'm not sure at all if "under-weighting" to 19.9 will actually equate to a bigger disparity than I'd like.

Bottom line is that there has to be a decision, and there's actually 2 as I see it. #1: Get 0.5 and 1.0ounce bolts. #2: Get 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 bolts to test, and shave the 1.5 if it's way too heavy, eventually hitting the 20.1oz of the old shooter I had in the Gilbert.

Do I not make a big deal out of such a simple deal, or what? Shut up Dee ;-)

sid

Sid_Vicious
07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
The bolt is light, @ 0.5 ounces right now. As I said in the previous post, I trusted the seller that it did not have a bolt at all, wrong! So I have an 18.89oz cue weight w/bolt and want to get to a nominal 19, my normal cue weight, or interestingly the 20 oz. like my old Gilbert which was ran over on 75 that night when the case fell off of the Goldwing.

I need to add weight Marty. I've played with this Mezz for over a year since buying it, but some of the magic seems to have left it. Shooting under 19oz isn't my style in general, yet this cue has been pretty good to me so far, yet nothing spectacular...sid

Rich R.
07-08-2010, 06:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bottom line is that there has to be a decision, and there's actually 2 as I see it. #1: Get 0.5 and 1.0ounce bolts. #2: Get 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 bolts to test, and shave the 1.5 if it's way too heavy, eventually hitting the 20.1oz of the old shooter I had in the Gilbert. </div></div>

Sid, you actually have a third option.
#3: Sell the Mezz and buy another Gilbert to replace your old one. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Honestly, if it were me and if I liked the Gilbert that much, I would choose option #3. More than likely, there was a lot more that went into the Gilbert to make you like it that much and changing a weight bolt in the Mezz isn't going to fix everything. JMHO.

Sid_Vicious
07-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Makes sense. I actually just need the butt anyway, so maybe Andy would cut me a deal on that. Probably cheaper to just look for a used BJ of his and call it quits. I am only in pre-shopping mode today anyway, so nothing is pressing. Thanks. sid

SpiderMan
07-21-2010, 03:05 PM
If it has a long bolt that is very light, it is probably aluminum. You could replace it with a steel bolt.

Get the 2-oz bolt and I'll trim it off in my lathe until it weighs 1.71 oz. Then when you replace the 0.5-oz bolt with this one, it will add 1.21 oz to the weight of the cue, taking it from 18.89 to 20.1.

SpiderMan