PDA

View Full Version : When and who started using the jump cue?

Cueless Joey
08-26-2002, 09:35 AM
I believe Rick Howard made it and Strickland used it first but I'm not 100% certain.

08-26-2002, 12:24 PM
i am under the assumption that loree jon's husband, sammy jones, invented it and earl despises them.

Vapros
08-26-2002, 12:35 PM
I recall seeing Earl Strickland, probably around 1985. He was already called 'Airborne Earl' and he was jumping some shots. However, I can't say whether he was using a jump cue. My recollection would be that he used the same cue he played.

08-26-2002, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I believe Rick Howard made it and Strickland used it first but I'm not 100% certain. <hr></blockquote>

can't give you dates but the progression was that first, some people discovered that they could make very close jumps by just using the shaft. as that became better known, the cue makers got to the bca and got them to require cues be a little longer than just the shaft and...a whole new profit center was born.

dan

Voodoo Daddy
08-26-2002, 12:53 PM
I know Sammy Jones used them before they were "in". Pat Fleming used one in a 14.1 tournament {from what I was told} jumped over a rack of balls and fired in the break shot . Q-Guy makes the one to own...

rackmup
08-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Sammy Jones endorsed one of the first, if not THE first line of jump cues (made by Meucci.)

See the flyer below:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meuccijumpcues.htm>http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meuccijumpcues.htm</a>

Regards,

Ken (proud owner of a "Meucci Original" jump cue)

rackmup
08-26-2002, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: chupamejodete:</font><hr>i am under the assumption that loree jon's husband, sammy jones, invented it and earl despises them.<hr></blockquote>

Who/what does Earl despise? It can't be the jump cue, given that he endorses one (see below):

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.buypoolcues.com/earstricbrea.html>http://www.buypoolcues.com/earstricbrea.html</a>

Regards,

Ken (doin' the research)

08-26-2002, 03:23 PM
The first b/j combo I remember seeing was the Heubler, long before Rick started making the Mace. In fact, Rick was using a Heubler b/j during those years.

Andy G.

08-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Jump cues were available long before shaft jumping was in. Shaft jumping became popular, which then prompted some cue makers to come out with those redicously fat shaft-length jump cues, like the '747' (pretty sure that was the name). Once that happened, it was apparent it had gotten out of hand, so most tournaments went to a standard acceptable length in jump cues, which was basically the length of the "old" jump cues which were already available.

08-26-2002, 05:26 PM
If he is now endorsing one, it is only because he is getting paid. Earl has always been openly critical of jump-cues being allowed in professional tournaments. Either that or he was just bitching every time someone would use one on him :-)

Chris Cass
08-26-2002, 05:43 PM
Hi Joey,

I started the jump shot. I remember as if it were yesterday. I was about 15 when, I said screw it and slammed down on the ball. The thing went sailing up in the air. Hit a picture window and went bouncing down the street. Hit a moving car too. As we all from the ph went to shag this runaway cb, our paths came to meet 4 blocks away, where it finally came to rest.

It stopped on a lawn, in front of Tiger Woods house. No $hit! He was just a 5 yr old back then. I grabbed a woody at the time and shot it 2 blocks back. It was me who taught the lad how to stroke.

Regards,

C.C.

Cueless Joey
08-26-2002, 06:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Joey,

I started the jump shot. I remember as if it were yesterday. I was about 15 when, I said screw it and slammed down on the ball. The thing went sailing up in the air. Hit a picture window and went bouncing down the street. Hit a moving car too. As we all from the ph went to shag this runaway cb, our paths came to meet 4 blocks away, where it finally came to rest.

It stopped on a lawn, in front of Tiger Woods house. No $hit! He was just a 5 yr old back then. I grabbed a woody at the time and shot it 2 blocks back. It was me who taught the lad how to stroke.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>
Did yo live near Cypress, Calif then? lol
We used to own a pizza place there back in '94. Tiger and his dad came in to buy a box of pizza.

Chris Cass
08-26-2002, 09:51 PM
Naa,

I guess it was the wrong Tiger. My memory is fading, it could have been Tigger and I was drugged. hahahahaha

Later brother,

C.C.~~lol

08-27-2002, 07:11 AM