PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Russia

bradb
07-11-2010, 05:55 PM
My wife and I have just spent a month in Russia, we started in Moscow then traveled up the Volga to St Petersburg.

Moscow is like NewYork combined with the wild west, cars there have the right away over pedestrians... even on the sidewalk!! 14 million people in one monster city even more cars all driving like a bat out of hell.

I took a look around for pool halls but did'nt have much luck. Russians love driving their cars, and their Vodka. In shopping malls there are few coffee shops but lots of bars.

St Petersburg though is a beautiful city with canals and palaces, I would recommend it to anyone ever wanting to take an exciting, different vacation.

Brad

yaz
07-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Hope that you have some photos to share.

cushioncrawler
07-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Whats the russian english like???
Do russians like english speaking tourists?????
What are the sheilas like???????
Me myself i can understand domestik russian -- its like polish only the bad breath haz less sausage in it.
madMac.

bradb
07-13-2010, 11:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the russian english like???
Do russians like english speaking tourists?????
What are the sheilas like???????
Me myself i can understand domestik russian -- its like polish only the bad breath haz less sausage in it.
madMac. </div></div>

I wil dig up some pix as suggested by Yaz.

You will find english spoken only at the markets or on the tourist route, they speak it well, but they struggle with certain phrases because there are no english equivalents for many Russian words.

Sheilas?

Russians like having tourist although off the tourist track they can be rude, but its nothing personal, its just the way they are, they are a very serious people.

To learn Russian you have to learn their alphabet and I found that very difficult.

argonath
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I always wanted to visit St Petersburg, but was told that most of it was controlled by the Russian Mafia, and across a certain bridge is no-mans land.

So instead I travelled twice this last decade to Odessa. I love the Ukranian people.

Argonath

bradb
07-13-2010, 02:43 PM
We had no trouble there and we walked all around the city quite a bit. Best to carry a copy of your ID incase the police should question you, but mostly they leave the tourist alone.

Of all the cities StPetersburg is the best one to visit.

Yes, I heard it mentioned that the Ukraine people are more friendly. Brad