PDA

View Full Version : Too Old For A Job

Qtec
07-12-2010, 04:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">July 7, 2010
Too Old For A Job, Too Young For Medicare Or Social Security

-- by Dave Johnson

Here is a fact: There. Are. No. Jobs. I'm in Silicon Valley where the official unemployment rate dipped in May to 11.2%. This dip was, of course, because of so many people just giving up trying to get a job, certainly not because of some wave of hiring. The underemployed figure, known as "U-6," is 21.7% in California, 16.7% nationally.

You have to know someone to get a humiliating job standing on a corner waving a sign. And if you are over 40, things are even worse than that. Don't give me any conservative Rush Limbaugh-Ayn Rand dehumanizing nonsense about parasitic lazy people who won't look—there are no jobs.

I know so many people here who are over 40, were laid off in the 2000-era dot com crash, still haven't found a regular job and aren't going to. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>They have had occasional "contract" positions—which means no benefits, no security, a 15% "self-employment" tax and no unemployment check when the job ends. And now, 10 years later they're a lot over 40 and are not going to find a job because so many employers here won't hire people over 40.</span>

And now there are so many more who lost their jobs in the mass layoffs of 2008-2009 and can't find a job. So many of them are also over 40. In fact, many were laid off in obvious purges of over-40 workers, offered a small severance that they could only receive if they promised to take no age-discrimination action against the employer. (I don't say "company" because some of these worked at nonprofits.)

Most of these people will not find another job, but are too young for Medicare and Social Security.
One Person's Story

I ran into a friend this weekend who I hadn't seen for a couple of years. He had been a computer engineer who had been making 6 figures in the dot-com years. Laid off in the 2000 crash, he moved in with his parents back in the Midwest and worked in a bakery. He came back out here when things picked up a bit and worked in one "contract" job after another. (Contracting is just a scam to get around employment laws—but the government doesn't enforce the rules.) But now he just can't find anything. He managed to get unemployment but now that is running out. He has no health insurance. He can't afford a place to live; he "house sits" for people or visits friends, and doesn't know what he is going to do even two days from now.

What is he going to do? Can you tell me? He has gotten a few interviews, and when they are computer-related is always told he is way overqualified, doesn't seem energetic, probably won't be willing to work 20 hours a day, doesn't look like he is up to date on things that are happening with computers, etc. (How many ways can you say "too old?") He's about 45. If things pick up he will get another job. But people just a few years older will not. </div></div>

read on (http://www.seeingtheforest.com/archives/2010/07/too_old_for_a_j.htm)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 17pt'>Out-of-work job applicants told unemployed need not apply</span>

The last thing someone who is unemployed needs to be told is that they shouldn't even apply for the limited number of job openings that are available. But some companies and recruiters are doing just that.

Employment experts say they believe companies are increasingly interested only in applicants who already have a job.

"I think it is more prevalent than it used to be," said Rich Thompson, vice president of learning and performance for Adecco Group North America, the world's largest staffing firm. "I don't have hard numbers, but three out of the last four conversations I've had about openings, this requirement was brought up."

Some job postings include restrictions such as "unemployed candidates will not be considered" or "must be currently employed." Those explicit limitations have occasionally been removed from listings when an employer or recruiter is questioned by the media though.

That's what happened with numerous listings for grocery store managers throughout the Southeast posted by a South Carolina recruiter, Latro Consulting.

After CNNMoney called seeking comments on the listings last week, the restriction against unemployed candidates being considered came down. Latro Consulting refused to comment when contacted.

Sony Ericsson, a global phone manufacturer that was hiring for a new Georgia facility, also removed a similar restriction after local reporters wrote about it. According to reports, a Sony Ericsson spokesperson said that a mistake had been made.

But even if companies don't spell out in a job listing that they won't consider someone who currently doesn't have a job, experts said that unemployed applicants are typically ruled out right off the bat. </div></div>

Q.............and the GOP refuse to extend benefits and call them parasites.

LWW
07-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Repeating the lie doesn't make the lie true.

Stating the lie louder doesn't make the lie true.

A lie is, by definition, not true.

It is the demokooks who are refusing to do an extension unless it is done in direct violation of the senate's own rules ... approved by the demokooks.

Their goal is to sacrifice the unemployed in order to claim the UE rate is declining ... since they are off the roles they will no longer exist as far as the system goes ... while pimping the far left with lies and hate.

As far as political edges go ... the republichickens would stand to gain by passing the extension as it would show a higher UE rate on paper.

You have been had. Deal with it.

LWW

Qtec
07-12-2010, 06:21 AM
The subject is 'Too Old For A Job', not UE benefits.

Everything has to be paid for?.....or not!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 20pt'>Deficit Fraud Jon Kyl: ‘You Should Never Have To Offset’ Tax Cuts</span>

Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) has been one of President Obama’s most vocal critics on the budget deficit (most of which is actually attributable to the President’s predecessor). “The Obama administration is spending trillions of dollars we do not have on things we do not need,” Kyl has said.

But today on Fox News Sunday, Kyl threw his concerns about the deficit out the window when discussing tax cuts. Kyl said Congress should not allow the Bush tax cuts to expire, but when host Chris Wallace asked, <span style='font-size: 20pt'>“How are you going to pay the $678 billion to keep Bush tax cuts for the wealthy?” Kyl wouldn’t answer. And in fact, he went so far as to say tax cuts should never have to be paid for:</span>

WALLACE: We’re running out of time, so how are you going to pay $678 billion just on the tax cuts for people making more than $250,000 a year?

KYL: You should never raise taxes in order to cut taxes. Surely congress has the authority and it would be right, if we decide we want to cut taxes to spur the economy, not to have to raise taxes in order to offset those costs. You do need to offset the cost of increased spending. And that’s what republicans object to. But you should never have to offset cost of a deliberate decision to reduce tax rates on Americans. </div></div>
oh my! (http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/11/kyl-tax-cuts/)

Q

Chopstick
07-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Well, I just lost my job last week. The sent my position overseas. My company made no secret about their policy of eliminating all American jobs and sending them to India and Mexico with a preference towards Mexico because they are even cheaper than India now. Needless to say these people don't even meet the minimum requirements for the job. The company could care less. One of the interviewers told be they were told that all new jobs will come from Mexico, "whether they are qualified or not." They closed down the facility in Cork, Ireland completely. The salaries in Ireland are about 95% of what they are in the US. All they are interested in is paying minimum wage and billing the customer six figures so the management can keep the difference and write themselves big fat bonuses. Then when things start to look like they are going bad, they write themselves a big fat severance package and go somewhere else. When they get to their next job interview and the guy says you old company just crashed, they say, well we had record profits when I was there. I have seen this happen over and over again.

There is no chance I will get another job in the computer business. I am also told that the state unemployment funds in Florida are depleted. I saw this coming a while back. The only down side is that it happened too soon. I don't think I have enough experience to make as a full time trader yet. I guess that is irrelevant at this point. Obama has decided to destroy the entire industry so I really never even had a chance. Everything I have done to prepare for getting laid off has gone for nothing.

Qtec
07-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Bad news indeed Chopstick. Sorry to hear that.

Q

Gayle in MD
07-12-2010, 08:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I just lost my job last week. The sent my position overseas. My company made no secret about their policy of eliminating all American jobs and sending them to India and Mexico with a preference towards Mexico because they are even cheaper than India now. Needless to say these people don't even meet the minimum requirements for the job. The company could care less. One of the interviewers told be they were told that all new jobs will come from Mexico, "whether they are qualified or not." They closed down the facility in Cork, Ireland completely. The salaries in Ireland are about 95% of what they are in the US. All they are interested in is paying minimum wage and billing the customer six figures so the management can keep the difference and write themselves big fat bonuses. Then when things start to look like they are going bad, they write themselves a big fat severance package and go somewhere else. When they get to their next job interview and the guy says you old company just crashed, they say, well we had record profits when I was there. I have seen this happen over and over again.

There is no chance I will get another job in the computer business. I am also told that the state unemployment funds in Florida are depleted. I saw this coming a while back. The only down side is that it happened too soon. I don't think I have enough experience to make as a full time trader yet. I guess that is irrelevant at this point. Obama has decided to destroy the entire industry so I really never even had a chance. Everything I have done to prepare for getting laid off has gone for nothing. </div></div>

Sorry to hear about it, Chop.

G.

pooltchr
07-12-2010, 09:49 AM
It's tough when it hist close to home. I've been there, so I can feel your pain.
Maybe this is a good time to take stock of what you want to do. I spent years climbing the corporate laddder, working 60 hour weeks and stressing over all of it. Now, I do something I love doing, work for myself, and don't have to worry about my job moving overseas unless I decide to move.

In the meantime, maybe the senate will get their act together and take some of that stimulus money and help people who are in the same situation.

Hang in there!

Steve

Gayle in MD
07-12-2010, 10:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The subject is 'Too Old For A Job', not UE benefits.

Everything has to be paid for?.....or not!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 20pt'>Deficit Fraud Jon Kyl: ‘You Should Never Have To Offset’ Tax Cuts</span>

Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) has been one of President Obama’s most vocal critics on the budget deficit (most of which is actually attributable to the President’s predecessor). “The Obama administration is spending trillions of dollars we do not have on things we do not need,” Kyl has said.

But today on Fox News Sunday, Kyl threw his concerns about the deficit out the window when discussing tax cuts. Kyl said Congress should not allow the Bush tax cuts to expire, but when host Chris Wallace asked, <span style='font-size: 20pt'>“How are you going to pay the $678 billion to keep Bush tax cuts for the wealthy?” Kyl wouldn’t answer. And in fact, he went so far as to say tax cuts should never have to be paid for:</span>

WALLACE: We’re running out of time, so how are you going to pay $678 billion just on the tax cuts for people making more than $250,000 a year?

KYL: You should never raise taxes in order to cut taxes. Surely congress has the authority and it would be right, if we decide we want to cut taxes to spur the economy, not to have to raise taxes in order to offset those costs. You do need to offset the cost of increased spending. And that’s what republicans object to. But you should never have to offset cost of a deliberate decision to reduce tax rates on Americans. </div></div>
oh my! (http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/11/kyl-tax-cuts/)

Q </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">So a Republican finally admits that the tax cuts were basically for the wealthy? LMAO! I didn't hear him make any denials.

Here we go again, with Republicans who want it both ways. Talking out of both sides of their mouths.

They don't want a depression, or a double dip recession, (Or maybe they do?) and they don't want any spending if it isn't deficit neutral, but they want the country to produce jobs, and also leave their heroes, American fascist Corporations alone while they're busy outsourcing jobs, and hiding their money in loopholes. BUT!!!!Aabove all, don't raise taxes, and don't spend any money we don't have, even if Bush spent all of it before he left, and put us in so much debt, we didn't have any money after he left, just his debts, with interest, two raging wars, and a collapsed economy. Oh, and be sure and finish up Bush's wars, too, but don't spend or borrow any money to take care of any of it!

Ok, I think I get it now, they want their cake and eat it too.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

The right has a lot of nerve coming down the way they do on the guy who inherited the colossal disasters of Republican policies, and Bush's fiasco presidency!

G.

</span>

Sid_Vicious
07-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Sorry also that this hit you between the eyes. Maybe I am presuming a lot, but I suspect you have cash/stock assets stored for the "Golden Ring" of hitting the home run down the road...you just strike me that way anyway. I know that your system skills are far too deep to call yourself abandoned. You won't like the deep money cut in salary, but I really don't believe that you are as SOL as most of the general unemployed people are. Besides, there is unemployment benefits, which BTW are better under Obama than they ever were from Bush. I don't mean to be brash, but you have a huge leg up on many of the rest of the unemployed population, again, in my opinion with nothing to base it on but your base personality and your level of systems analysis. If anything Charlie, you may end up being a better money maker as a contract guy to patch up the damage that has to be fixed after these nit-wits in Mexico come on board and begin to really hose up total systems.

If you do have the cash reserves, plus the unemployment insurance,,,you will be OK, even better than OK. It's all relative, but mostly, and I know you won't like this...Obama is more of a friend to you than an enemy. sid