PDA

View Full Version : Sub 100 dollar cue/Advice plz?

namegame
07-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Hello all,I just recently started shooting pool again and joined an Apa league.
I have been pulling my hair out trying to decide what brand of cue offers the best bang for the buck for under 100 dollars i was considering Players but the one's i can get locally have stainless joint's aren't wood to wood joint's better against warpage?
Advice please?

mstng81
07-14-2010, 11:15 PM
As long as you're taking good care of the cue, warpage shouldn't be a big issue. I would focus on finding one that feels 'right' to you. It's all in how you shoot, not what you shoot with.

That being said, you really do get what you pay for. I think McDermott has some cues for $150-$200 that may not be fancy but would be backed by a warranty.

namegame
07-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks,i have the chance to try the stick's out before i decide on one i will just try them out till i find one that feel's right to me.

LWW
07-15-2010, 05:02 AM
Players and also Viper makes a decent cue in that price range.

LWW

Rich R.
07-15-2010, 06:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: namegame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,I just recently started shooting pool again and joined an Apa league.
I have been pulling my hair out trying to decide what brand of cue offers the best bang for the buck for under 100 dollars i was considering Players but the one's i can get locally have stainless joint's aren't wood to wood joint's better against warpage?
Advice please? </div></div>
The type of joint used in a cue has nothing to do with warpage. Mainly, there are two things that cause warpage, poor care and internal stresses in the wood.
There are a multitude of things that fall under the poor care heading, such as improper storage, temperature swings, moisture, etc. Storing your cue in a good case, in a stable environment, not leaving it in your car and other common sense things will help to prevent warpage. If the wood has internal stresses, there is nothing you can do about it. Of course, more care has been taken selecting wood, aging it and cutting it in stages by the better cue makers, and will reduce the risk of warpage, but these things also add to the price of the cue.

Good luck.

pooltchr
07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Fury also makes some very nice cues under $100. But Rich is correct. Don't blow your whole budget on the cue. A good quality case to keep it in will go a long way to keeping your cue in good condition.

Steve

namegame
07-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

bradb
07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
The Chinese no name cues aren't bad, they play well and are fairly good wood. You can pick one up for under 75 bucks.

I went through about 3 chinese cues until I found one I liked the feel of. Then I looked for a Lucasi cue that had the same wt. and diameter to use as my regular cue.

I still have that old cue and even play with it sometimes. -Brad

cushioncrawler
07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I bort 4 pool cues from usofa on ebay for US$80, ie $20 each.
Two piece, sneaky petes, 13mm, maple, with reddish-brown machine jointed butts. 18oz, 19oz, 20oz and 21oz.
Bewdyfull cues, i koodnt think of anything better. Dead straight.
Excepting praps that i dont like the very clean whiteish look of the shafts, i would hav preferred a bit darker, but they will darken down with use and age i guess, or i might try uzing a bit of stain on one of them, any suggestions.
I woz surprized that they were so long, i had been under the impression that pool cues were shorter than snooker cues, but not so, but i am happy with long.
And i like the fakt that all 4 shafts and butts are interchangeable, but some comboz arent perfiktly straight, and some comboz giv a little ridge at the joint, no great worry.
Aktually, i skrewed off the rubber bumper off one, and replaced the rubber with lead, about 3oz i think (karnt remember, but i uze 6.7oz on my snooker cue).
madMac.

namegame
07-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Thank's for all the replies i ended hitting with allot of cue's and picked this one.
http://www.cuetec.com/prestige-13-99272
The cue came with this tip i have never had a cue with a pigskin laminated tip how do i shape it,maintain it?(Tiger Everest 10 Layered Laminated Pigskin Tip)
Thanks

bradb
07-19-2010, 06:44 PM
The tiger tip is a good tip. Most quality leather tips a made from boars or hogs hide.

You may not like that graphite shaft, it picks up a lot of hand sweat and can get sticky. However if its fiberglass over wood then it will be fine. brad

bradb
07-19-2010, 06:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bort 4 pool cues from usofa on ebay for US$80, ie $20 each.
Two piece, sneaky petes, 13mm, maple, with reddish-brown machine jointed butts. 18oz, 19oz, 20oz and 21oz.
Bewdyfull cues, i koodnt think of anything better. Dead straight.
Excepting praps that i dont like the very clean whiteish look of the shafts, i would hav preferred a bit darker, but they will darken down with use and age i guess, or i might try uzing a bit of stain on one of them, any suggestions.
I woz surprized that they were so long, i had been under the impression that pool cues were shorter than snooker cues, but not so, but i am happy with long.
And i like the fakt that all 4 shafts and butts are interchangeable, but some comboz arent perfiktly straight, and some comboz giv a little ridge at the joint, no great worry.
Aktually, i skrewed off the rubber bumper off one, and replaced the rubber with lead, about 3oz i think (karnt remember, but i uze 6.7oz on my snooker cue).
madMac.

</div></div>

Mac, I would imagine you have a several really nice British or local hand made ash snooker cues, what on earth would you do with a bunch of break down sneaky pete pool cues??

Brad

cushioncrawler
07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Brad -- I woz really impressed with Colin Colenso's pool cue (12.75mm?) when he vizited me. I seemed to get az much spin and skrew with this az i did with my 10mm cues.
And i woz impressed with Wayne Carey's (New Zealand) Predators (12.75mm? and 12.5mm?) that he uzed in the Oceanias billiards in Sydney.
I probly need a conically tapered shaft i think, but i woz keen to re-try the semi-pro taper.
And i woz thinking that a fattish cue would suit my inoff game (english billiards) (12' table).
I did uze theze new pool cue(s) for snooker, but i havnt uzed them for a few months, for billiards, koz they do hav a big squirt, and english billiards needs lots and lots of touchy soft and hard spin shots at short medium and long ranges.
And i had the idea that the pool cues might help my masse's.
But they are damned nice looking and made cues.
madMac.

bradb
07-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I try and play a little snooker now and then but the game has escaped me completely, I no longer have the eye for the smaller balls. I have been playing pool to long now and its effected up my snooker aiming process.

When I do play, I stay with my 13mm pool cue. My old 10mm snooker cue feels strange to me now.

With the 13mm cue the thickness of the stroke action seems too fat for the conical shaft, I think the pro taper is best with that cue. Just my opinion, every player has different styles.

Willy Thorn plays 9balll with his 9mm snooker cue and makes incredible shots. Brad

cushioncrawler
07-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Took my 10mm to the cue doc today. He iz going to do something drastik to the shaft. Hope it works ok. I will report here next week. This iz really drastik. Had to trick him into doing what i wanted. But it iz going to cost me heaps, ie he gets to laugh last.
madMac.