PDA

View Full Version : Need more Votto's in sports

eg8r
07-15-2010, 02:05 PM
We need more athletes like Votto. In the NFL it has gotten terrible. I hate seeing a quarterback get tackled and then the defensive back turn around and offer a hand to pick him up off the ground...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marlon Byrd made two big plays to help the National League beat the American League for the first time in 14 years, but All-Star teammate Joey Votto wasn't about to congratulate the Cubs outfielder.

"I don't like the Cubs," said Votto, the first baseman for the NL Central-leading Cincinnati Reds. "And I'm not going to pat anybody with a Cubs uniform on the back."
</div></div> Votto... (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5382724)

This is one thing I like about the insane Philly fans. If you don't play for Philly or if you shun them then you are the enemy and during the game you should be treated that way.

eg8r

LWW
07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Joey Votto is an awesome player with an incredible desire to succeed as a team ahead of succeeding as a player and is a fine young man with an incredible work ethic.

It was an honor to get to know Joey through my connections with the Dayton Dragons when Joey was an A level player.

To be honest, I must eat some crow also as I believed at that point that Votto had too many holes in his game to reach the level of play that he has reached a few years later. That speaks volumes about his work ethic and his willingness to be coached.

I'm hoping the Reds can lock him into a long term deal soon. He is IMHO a gem not only as a player but as a human being.

LWW

eg8r
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be honest, I must eat some crow also as I believed at that point that Votto had too many holes in his game to reach the level of play that he has reached a few years later. That speaks volumes about his work ethic and his willingness to be coached.</div></div>Either speaks volumes of his work ethic or your poor assessment skills. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Just kidding.

eg8r

LWW
07-15-2010, 03:16 PM
My assessment skills suffer from the same deficiency as all but the most intense scouts. One can judge many things, but work ethic and coachability are very difficult unless one spends a lot of time with the kid.

Another kid who has talent of immense quality on the Reds is Homer Bailey, who unlike Votto is completely uncoachable.

A diamond that I picked early on was Johnny Cueto who I would notice was always sitting with the coaches during games and had incredible skills other than control, which has been largely corrected by mechanics.

And, FWIW&lt; I took no offense at your comments. Baseball is a difficult sport to scout at a lower level because it requires so many skills to be successful ... and watching them at A level and below you aren't even seeing them fully grown yet.

In closing I will say that most skill sets can be improved through work and good coaching. The two that cannot be improves are intelligence and speed.

LWW

eg8r
07-15-2010, 07:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And, FWIW&lt; I took no offense at your comments.</div></div>Good, I was just joking. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r