PDA

View Full Version : The One-Pocket Travelers in Memphis

Ace
07-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Once again it is time for another one-pocket get together. The small group of one-pocket players that like to travel to different cities, roughly twice a year, just to visit and maybe match up with one another are going to be at High Pockets at 5099 Old Summer Rd in Memphis, Tenn.
I would like to invite any and all one-pocket players to come out and make this get together bigger and better August 6-8.
I am calling out Gulfport Doc and Joey A....lol

Deeman3
07-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Ace,

I'll be there. I'm sure there are some other players in the area who will put up with our little group or join it as Doc and a couple of others have over the past year and a half.

Maybe we can get some recommendation about places to stay near Highpockets as it has been many years since my last visit and there are a lot of places we might want to avoid there now. Summer Avenue, near where Highpockets is was a pretty decent area in general. Now, I just don't know. I'll also contact my brother who still lives in Millington a few miles away. He will meet us for one pocket, for sure. He does not play that bad either for a once a year sort of player. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have not decised if we will bike up or not. It is hard to get DeeWoman off her harley now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif We just came through Memphis last weekend after a week of visiting in Northeast Arkansas and di not see many dead bodies piled up along the roads so we may be o.k. I think Steve Tipton still lives there if he has not moved to South Carolian with the rest of the WPPA.

So, if you live from Jackson, Mississippi to Jackson Tennessee or over in East Arkansas let us know and meet us there. I am playing so bad I have a hook hanging out of my mouth (or is that a cigarette?) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'll bring the guns and ammo.

SpiderMan
07-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Sheet! I'm driving to Memphis on Thursday August 12.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
07-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Spiderman,

We just keep missing each other by a few hours or days! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Can you come early? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Soounds like something I asked DeeWoman!!

Rich R.
07-21-2010, 07:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spiderman,

We just keep missing each other by a few hours or days! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Can you come early? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Soounds like something I asked DeeWoman!! </div></div>
Let me get this right.
Deeman swings both ways??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Deeman3
07-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Only with a baseball bat! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I did once turn a woman gay. After 27 years of marriage she decided living with a female basketball coach was better than being with me. I must admit, there are tons of women out there that may agree with her.

No, despite my often expressed, unbridled admiration of Barney Frank and Rosie Odonnal, I still prefer the softtail version of the species. If it were not for DeeWoman, I would make a challenge to anyone who says otherwise to leave me alone with their girlfriend for a few minutes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Unfortunately, I am so addiscted to her, I have taken my otherwise widely admired, used to be youthful body off the market.

Besides Rich, I was always afraid of Spiders anyway. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Chopstick
07-25-2010, 10:14 AM
I am heading to training in Vegas next weekend. This is a bad time of year in Memphis. It's 108 there now. The last time I was in High Pockets, it was kind of a dump and the area is now dangerous. Of course anywhere inside Memphis is dangerous now days. I don't know of any place to play in Memphis that's decent anymore.

There are two places down on Beale street. There used to be a pool hall underground in downtown Memphis that was very cool. It was called Peoples. It looked like it came right out of the movie "The Hustler". It had about 40 tables. There was one in Atlanta like that.

They closed the one downtown and moved it into a smaller place at the end of Beale street. They even stripped out the wood paneling, furniture, and everything and put it in the new place. That was about five or six years ago when I was in there. It probably isn't so nice anymore.

SpiderMan
07-26-2010, 11:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spiderman,

Can you come early? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Soounds like something I asked DeeWoman!! </div></div>

I try not to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My trip is a planned visit to my Mom and Dad for some work on the family archives. I'm also going to crash a reunion on Friday or Saturday night.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Peoples, downtown between Front and 2nd Street, in the alley. My step dad used to take me there. 48 tables and everyone a Gold Crown. A place on Beal has what they claim are tables from Peoples. That is the first place I ever saw and met Fats. I met Jimmy Caras there in about 1965 as well. Cornbread was reputed to have made over $100K there in one night and that would have been big bucks in the early 1960's! Not too far away, the best dry ribs in God's kingdom. Rondevous!!!!! You are right, set just like it was the set of the Hustler.

Deeman3
07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My trip is a planned visit to my Mom and Dad for some work on the family archives. I'm also going to crash a reunion on Friday or Saturday night.

SpiderMan </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> I hope you can but can't say much as I think I have now stood you up twice!

What reunion you crashing? There are still enough white guys in Memphis for a reunion? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span>

SpiderMan
07-27-2010, 01:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

SpiderMan </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> I hope you can but can't say much as I think I have now stood you up twice!

What reunion you crashing? There are still enough white guys in Memphis for a reunion? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span> </div></div>

Whitehaven(/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif) High School, class of '70. Not my year, but it's a chance to surprise a few old cronies that I've not seen since I moved away. I'm sure most of them will be coming from beyond the barricades.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
07-27-2010, 01:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peoples, downtown between Front and 2nd Street, in the alley. My step dad used to take me there. 48 tables and everyone a Gold Crown. A place on Beal has what they claim are tables from Peoples. That is the first place I ever saw and met Fats. I met Jimmy Caras there in about 1965 as well. Cornbread was reputed to have made over $100K there in one night and that would have been big bucks in the early 1960's! Not too far away, the best dry ribs in God's kingdom. Rondevous!!!!! You are right, set just like it was the set of the Hustler.
</div></div>

Not to be difficult, but there are purists among us who see Rendezvous as a copycat late-comer and a tourist trap. The food tastes good, but then so does the food at Red, Hot, and Blue in Dallas. I'm traditional, and I'd rather have a Coleman's sandwich.

If you want great ribs AND the old-time experience, go to someplace like Corky's on Poplar.

I used to like Leonard's also, but the new location out east has gone 'way downhill - I ate there on the 4th of July and it was nasty. But they do have the original neon sign from the first Leonard's.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

SpiderMan </div></div>

Westwood High School Class of 1970! I bet I have knocked down and been knocked down by more of those classmates at Whitehaven than you have considering football and the fights outside Krystal. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I won't argue the Bar-be-que with you anymore as I loved all of the places you mention but I think the they have all been there long enough not to be considered newcomers. We may ahve to hike out to the Colemans as I still have that photo of the sandwish framed above me office at home. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

We only had two Obama voters in Westwood the year I graduated but I drove by the school when there a few weeks ago and I would hazard to guess it has changed a bit. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Would, by any chance, Whitehaven be a misnomer now?

What reunion you crashing? There are still enough white guys in Memphis for a reunion? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span> </div></div>

Whitehaven(/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif) High School, class of '70. Not my year, but it's a chance to surprise a few old cronies that I've not seen since I moved away. I'm sure most of them will be coming from beyond the barricades.

SpiderMan </div></div>

SpiderMan
07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Misnomer, yes ... hence the smiley.

Deeman3
07-30-2010, 01:55 PM
I can't beleive that as I just met a lady there who said all her sons were successful business men there, all 9 are in phamacacy sales there just North of Highway 301!

Each has his own corner now! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Her 5 girls have jobs in the same community as social workers of some sort. They all work right there near the airport at a cluster of clubs. See! Now the Hispanics are threateneing to move in! Who says there are jobs Americas won't do?

SpiderMan
08-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Are you guys still in Memphis? I will be there on Thursday.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Spiderman! A day late and a dollar, well, you know what I mean.

No, you missed it. We had a great time and met some new friends as well as got new t-shirts out of the deal. We came back on Sunday but after all those long hours of play, we were pretty well exhausted.

Sorry you missed us. Maybe we can get our schedules better in tune by the next event.

Have a great time in Memphis bt watch out for the hazards, both people and traffic. Even the roads have gone downhill since my last visit. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SpiderMan
08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Who showed up? Where are the pictures?

SpiderMan

Deeman3
08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
No photos allowed! Just kidding but I didn't bring a camera. Ace was there from Texas, my little brother Bo showed up and my best friend from the old days, Sid, brought his 18 year old son to teach us a lesson. On Saturday, CCarter from Jackson and Novogatesucks (J.K) also form Jackson were there. Wec played non-stop for 10 hours then and J.K. stayed with us to the bitter end. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It was great and I really wish you had been able to be there. Kinard along with Tracy now owns Highpockets! Didn't see Kinard as he was out while we were there but Tracy made us all feel at home, well I actually was at home!

Good time had by all and made some great new friends now to protect me from the local short stops when there.