PDA

View Full Version : More spoon fed junk science.

LWW
07-21-2010, 05:40 AM
As some of you may recall, I have been predicting this for quite some time.

First, some background data. Being born in 1956 I remember the 1970's global cooling scare. It was being sold by the same folks that were selling global warming in the 1990's. There claimed causes were the same both times ... CO2, CFC's, and most of all capitalism.

Both times they trotted out lots of graphs containing cherry picked numbers, half truths, and outright fabrications. In both cases those at the top of the movement made a lot of money. Both times the gullible, mostly the young, bought into the panic completely. I was one of them in the 1970's ... luckily I was wise enough to spot the junk science peddlers second time around.

Well ... after convincing us that the cause of global cooling was also the cause of global warming they are now telling us that it is again the cause of global cooling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">July 15, 2010: NASA-funded researchers are monitoring a big event in our planet's atmosphere. High above Earth's surface where the atmosphere meets space, a rarefied layer of gas called "the thermosphere" recently collapsed and now is rebounding again.

"This is the biggest contraction of the thermosphere in at least 43 years," says John Emmert of the Naval Research Lab, lead author of a paper announcing the finding in the June 19th issue of the Geophysical Research Letters (GRL). "It's a Space Age record."

The collapse happened during the deep solar minimum of 2008-2009a fact which comes as little surprise to researchers. The thermosphere always cools and contracts when solar activity is low. In this case, however, the magnitude of the collapse was two to three times greater than low solar activity could explain.
"Something is going on that we do not understand," says Emmert. ...

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>One possible explanation is carbon dioxide (CO2).</span>

When carbon dioxide gets into the thermosphere, it acts as a coolant, shedding heat via infrared radiation. It is widely-known that CO2 levels have been increasing in Earth's atmosphere. Extra CO2 in the thermosphere could have magnified the cooling action of solar minimum.</div></div>

I'm curious to see how many people who bought into the global warming scare will buy into this without question, and how many will realize they were played like Perlman on a Strad.

&gt;&gt;&gt;JUNK SCIENCE&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/15jul_thermosphere/)

LWW

pooltchr
07-21-2010, 06:27 AM
I will be interested to hear AlGore's take on this news.

Steve

LWW
07-21-2010, 07:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be interested to hear AlGore's take on this news.

Steve </div></div>

That's the beauty of the Goremon scam.

If you believe that CO2 will scorch the planet ... buy carbon credits from Al and live a hedonistic lifestyle without guilt.

If you believe that CO2 will freeze the planet ... buy carbon credits from Al and live a hedonistic lifestyle without guilt.

LWW

eg8r
07-21-2010, 08:47 AM
With all the heat going on outside, I am now a believer in global warming. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r