PDA

View Full Version : Meucci cues ... good as pot-passers?

08-26-2002, 08:46 PM
I'm here to start some controversy among all you Meucci lovers. A la one of the old, black and white Beverly Hillbilly episodes where dinner was served in the Billy-ard room, I contend that Meucci cues make good pot-passers and nothing else. My first "good" cue was a Meucci, model HOF-2 (a different model number in 1988 when I purchased it) and I requested they leave the finish off the wrap. How many of you can guess what happened in only a year and a half? Yes, it warped at the top of the wrap, the place where most non-4 point-spliced cues are pieced together. And you always wondered why Meucci seals their butts.

Obviously the mystique was gone after this so I started looking at the cue critically. Here are a couple more problems for the record: 1) squeezing the implex joint between thumb and index finger revealed a space between this glorified plastic sleeve and the wood it was press fit upon, and 2) The implex ferrule was wider on the tip end than the cue end. What craftsmanship!

For you doubters who think I abused the cue, I kept it in a sealed case in my basement that is around 65 degrees; I never left it in my car, and I took care of it like a newborn baby. Interestingly, it would straighten out in the summer and revert to a frankfurter in the winter, when it was dry. It continued this behavior until I sold it to a player who, knowing its peculiar straight-warp dance, didn't care because it was a Meucci.

Of course, this is not the worst of it. Right after it warped I called Meucci Originals. Instead of being offered a replacement I was told the butt could be machined down for a fee so it would respond with even more english. Whether true or not - I doubt it - that's a hell of a response, so to speak. Meucci cues already amplify the stroke of a good player, making it difficult to control the speed of a shot; just ask Mike Sigel. So, more english? Gee, wouldn't that mean even less control? It was an anchor given to a drowning man.

Now, since tech services wasn't going to give me any satisfaction, I wrote to Bob Meucci himself. The first letter wasn't answered so I sent another that was certified, return receipt, signature required by Bob Meucci personally. That one came back unopened, "Refused" written across it. What kind of company, run by what kind of man, would treat a customer this way? It's a company that not only seals their butts, but covers them too. Mr. Meucci has been hustling all of us without ever stepping up to the table, taking the cheese and smiling all the way to the bank way too long. Remember this the next time you see him in one of his asinine advertisements.

I now own two Kikels and a Joss West. Dave Kikel was a student of Billy Stroud, so you've got superior craftsmanship in performance and design all around. I know it's not fair to compare a custom cue to a commercial grade one, but since Meucci's website claims they are the "World's Finest Pool Cues," I figure they open themselves up to this. All I know is I've gone from the absurd to the sublime, which is certainly better than the other way around.

Chris Cass
08-26-2002, 09:36 PM
Hi Bob,

Let me tell ya something. I shot with Meucci' for 11 yrs when I first picked up a cue. My buddy was a Meucci dealer and sold cues. He didn't own a store just was considered a dealer from Meucci because he bought and sold so many. Now, Meucci just started out and my buddy got like 15 cues from Bob Meucci. 3 out of the 15 had ring defects, joint defects and shaft defects at the rings. Glue missing, not set correctly and other stuff.

Being that my buddy just started this new venture, after I inspected the cues and the work needed done. Adviced my friend to send them back for repair or replacement. I also told him to call, Bob Meucci personally and tell him of the condition of the cues and imform him that he was sending them back. Also, that he didn't want his money back but only wanted repair or replacements.

Bob, told him they were his, and he was stuck with them. This had been the day he received the cues. He explained to Bob that, he was trying to sell all the cues and buy more. This was like pulling teeth and my friend ended up getting stuck with them.

Now, to me it sounds like he got better. Atleast he offered to turn it down. When, buying a Meucci cue. My advice would be to first inspect it upon accepting the shipment. Also, when storing any cue. Store it flat in a case. The shaft is gonna mess up without using it, due to temp change. There ferrules are plastic cheap things that will crack, if you stand ten feet close to water. The butt, is another story.

Meucci cues, can be nice if, you make sure everything is right. Don't expect too much from Bob though. JMHO

Regards,

C.C.

08-26-2002, 10:02 PM
Hi Chris,

In some perverse way it's gratifying to know I'm not the only one who had trouble with Bob and his cues. My cue was stored flat in a case, but that didn't help. Of course, I can see an occasional shaft warping if you use lightweight maple and machine it down to size too quickly, which custom cues makers never do. The butt is another story, as you said, and there was no way I could predict it was going to warp, except if I had known more about the maker - ha ha.

For some time I've thought Bob Meucci should change his name to Bob Greenwood, but after hearing what he did to your friend who in good faith was selling his cues, schmuck should be his first and last name. I find Meucci's actions lower than low, even in an industry not always known for its honesty.

Thanks for your response.

Best regards,
Bob

Tommy_Davidson
08-27-2002, 01:45 AM
> My last Meucci was an Oldie 5,or the "Lance" cue,a nearly identical cue can be seen on Barringer's site when they get it back up and running. I got it from an employee,that instead of his payroll check,was given half his wages and 5 cues to sell. This particular cue was made for Jim Rempe,but for whatever reason he didn't like it and gave it back. Instead of the nicker-silver joint that the "Oldie" series came with,the joint was a creamy white Micarta type material,as opposed to the typical cheesy plastic. It cracked within a year,no replacement was offered by Meucci,unless I paid for it,because according to Bob,it had been "abused",in other words I had broke with it,which was the case. I had Bill McDaniel replace it with the good old yellow Micarta,just like the old SouthWest ferrules. It never cracked again. I was having their cheesy ferrules replaced about once every 10 days,forcing me to eventually buy 2 extra shafts,so I could have something to play with while the cracked ones were in transit. It was after 2 years of this that Bill McDaniel told me about a new unbreakable material called Aegis. I jumped on it,and never cracked another ferrule. I eventually had the original solid white sprayed wrap replaced with white with black spot,after my sweat ate through the finish and turned what was supposed to the irish linen wrap a nasty shade of brown,just like dry rotted dacron twine,which it was upon closer inspection by Bill. I played with the cue until my Schon arrived,and sold the cue for 20 bucks with 4 shafts. Needless to say,I never regretted it. The guy that sold me the cue for 300 bucks told me that the real reason they spray their wraps is two fold. One,the sprayed finish covers up the fact that on occasion the wrap groove is cut too deep,and second was that in Bob's logic,why use 6 bucks worth of lined to rewrap a cue for 40 bucks when they can use the same amount of linen and put it on a new cue which sells for at least 165,which is what their cheapest wrapped cue sold for at the time. Bob also had a bad habit of not being able to make payroll,which facilitated the practice of paying off his employees with merchandise. I can't complain,that's how I got the cue I am describing in the first place,but it sure seems crooked to do things like this. So no,you're not alone,Meucci cues do make good pot-passers,but they make even better firewood. I had a broken one a few months back,that I gave to a friend who made a "tobacco use only" pipe out of it,and he says it "hits" better in it's current function. Tommy D.

griffith_d
08-27-2002, 06:04 AM
Wow!! So many "hits" against Meucci,...I have a flawless HOF-1 with a newly installed Talisman Pro M,...it hits great.

I feel the same about Fords as you do about Meucci. When you get screwed you never look back. Ford engineers blamed me for the brake problem.

Griff

SpiderMan
08-27-2002, 09:06 AM
Interesting ... My first "real" cue was a Meucci, bought in 1975 when he was operating from his little shop in my hometown of Memphis. Within about a year, the butt warped about six inches below the joint. The shaft, which was an exceptionally tight-grained and straight piece, is still perfect today. I did have to replace the ferrule, though.

I also currently own a mid-priced M.O. that I believe was made in the mid-1980s (not sure, as I bought it used). Despite being carried behind the front seat of my truck throughout several Texas summers and winters, it is still perfect. I guess Bob learned a few things over the years.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
08-27-2002, 11:50 AM
This is where the power of the internet serves justice...BM sticking that seller with little remores needs reporting to the people. Serves Meucci right! It's seemed like that I've heard more slams about Meucci cues than any others. I also heard that Meucci used surplus lipstick tubes for ferulle material back at some stage of his production cycle. "That doesn't give me any warm fuzzies about his cue!" sid~~~believes thay might make good fly rods though

08-27-2002, 12:36 PM
Lord, how I feel your pain.

I should have been shot for the way I treated my Meucci. Always left it in the car, left the sunroof open once and my cloth case got SOAKED (the shaft felt damp for weeks), dropped it on the floor so many times I developed back problems from having to pick it up. Basically did everything I could to destroy it so I could justify buying another cue.

But the damn thing won't die! It won't warp, crack, splinter or do any of the things Meucci is so famous for. I think I must have the only indestructible Meucci on the face of the planet and all I can ask is "Why me????"

RedH <~~~~~~ is apparently living Murphy's Law in reverse

Chris Cass
08-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Have you ever heard the term," Luck of the Irish?" Red heads are often Irish and moreso Lucky. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

cheesemouse
08-27-2002, 07:25 PM
I didn't realize Meucci had this bad reputation or that they used green wood. I bought a Meucce sneaky pete and one day I noticed that the butt was split at rubber. I just assumed I had slammed it on the floor hard even though I couldn't remember doing so ( I drinks a bit ) now I'm not so sure it was just green wood.

Rod
08-27-2002, 07:27 PM
Well in that case, don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me. roll another one, just like the other one. oops sorry I can't sing I forgot, /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

You know I always question something that is sprayed heavily. It reminds me of some valley house cues I bought. They had a very thick coat of varnish. I am sure it was to keep the "green" wood from warping. You know it's green when the sap oozes out. LOL

Cueless Joey
08-27-2002, 08:32 PM
There's big reason why Meucci's resell value is terrible.
Schon, Predator and Joss have decent resell value.
Meucci is like a used Yugo.

08-27-2002, 08:59 PM
My Meucci hits just fine..
Gives good English, and has never warped..
It is my cue of choice, very light, throw it in, get the spin..

A fine piece of cue making..

carson

Pizza Bob
08-28-2002, 09:11 AM
Wasn't there a Jersey Red story about him leaving a Meucci cue on the front seat when he parked his car in New York? Said he got several blocks away before he realized he'd forgotten to lock the car. Went back to the car, and sure enough....somebody had left a second one. LOL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cueless Joey
08-28-2002, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Pizza Bob:</font><hr> Wasn't there a Jersey Red story about him leaving a Meucci cue on the front seat when he parked his car in New York? Said he got several blocks away before he realized he'd forgotten to lock the car. Went back to the car, and sure enough....somebody had left a second one. LOL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <hr></blockquote>
I thought it was Cornbread Red? LOL
Red comes out of the pool hall after an all-night match. He sees his car's window broken. He mutters, "Oh no. Not again." He runs to his car. Sure enough, he yells, "Goddang it, somebody dump his Meucci in my car again!."

08-28-2002, 10:31 AM
Yeah, Chris, I'm Irish, but I don't know how lucky that makes me. Apparently not very since I'm stuck with the one damn Meucci that refuses to live down to its' reputation. I mean, a Meucci that won't warp! Whoever heard of such a thing!

RedH &lt;~~~~ tossing holy water on her cue and calling Guinness

08-30-2002, 08:35 PM
Hello all,

Though I'm responding to Sid, this is meant for all of you who replied to my post. I have genuinely enjoyed reading all your responses.

To Pizza Bob and Cueless Joey, I loved your tales of Jersey Red and Cornbread Red respectively. You hand me chuckling, which is more than my Meucci ever did for me. And Joey, I like your comparison of a Meucci to a Yugo, the only difference being the Yugo's engine strokes better and lasts longer.

And to poor RedH. I'm a redhead too, but I'm not Irish so there's where my luck ends. Although I question whether it was luck or something more miraculous in your case. After hearing your tale of wow, I think you have a lot in common with Bernadette Soubirous, the French canonized saint who suffered in life but had a miracle happen to her. Hearing of a Meucci that has lasted 11 years, suffering abuse, living to shoot another day, makes me question to whom the greater miracle happened. Holy water, indeed!

And SpiderMan, you used the abbreviation M.O. For a minute I thought you meant Modus Operandi, the term used in all the old cop shows referring to a criminal's method of operation. Then I realized you meant Meucci Originals. Of course, in Bob Meucci's case they are one and the same thing.

I already responded to Chris, but thanks for your story of another of Bob's criminal M.O.s.

Tommy, your additional uses for a Meucci were quite inspiring. Your friend's "tobacco use only" pipe certainly put a whole new twist on my pot-passer question. You got me to thinking of a book I should write: "From Toke to Stroke: 50 Creative Uses for your Meucci." I could include such things as collapsible tent pole, auto steering wheel anti-theft device (don't count on it), lawn aeration tool and rock concert crowd control baton to name a few. I can just see the testimonial now: "I was at Altamont with the Stones when the crowd went crazy. My Meucci was great. It gave a nice, rich sounding hit when I laid it upside one fella's head. Now it can do the same thing for you." Killer, Hell's Angel. Naturally, I'd have to include shooting pool as one of the creative uses ... number 50, of course.

And Rod, you might want to give Tommy's friend some of that sap for his pipe.

But the best came from Sid and his surplus lipstick tubes for ferrules rumor. It conjured up an image of rotund ol' Bob climbing into a dumpster in the back of a Max Factor plant, furiously rummaging through all the makeup cases, hair coloring bottles and eyebrow pencils just to find a couple more tubes to fill his latest order. It's a picture I just can't shake, and I'm forever grateful to you for it, Sid. Yes, there is justice on the Internet ... and humor too.

Thanks again, fellas.

Best regards,
Bob

Voodoo Daddy
08-30-2002, 09:52 PM
"Hey Jethro.." "Yeah Uncle Jed"..."Sure would to shoot me one of them billi-ards someday"..."Me too Uncle Jed, wunder what they look like?"..."Dont know boy"...."Granny, pass me over them collard greens"...HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I had no idea the pot passers were Meucci's, thought maybe they were Predators but they were'nt around then...HAHAHAHAHA!!

08-30-2002, 11:05 PM
I love it, Voodoo Daddy, I love it. If you want to know of more creative uses for a Meucci, read my post today, August 30, to Sid and all the players kind enough to take the time to rip Meucci a new one.

Bob

Cueless Joey
08-30-2002, 11:33 PM
&lt;i&gt;

But the best came from Sid and his surplus lipstick tubes for ferrules rumor. It conjured up an image of rotund ol' Bob climbing into a dumpster in the back of a Max Factor plant, furiously rummaging through all the makeup cases, hair coloring bottles and eyebrow pencils just to find a couple more tubes to fill his latest order. It's a picture I just can't shake, and I'm forever grateful to you for it, Sid. Yes, there is justice on the Internet ... and humor too.

Thanks again, fellas.

Best regards,
Bob [/i]
Bob, that's funny. I made this joke about Mrs. Meucci going to Italy to start Avon pyramid there. She brought a ton of inferno red lipstick. Nobody bought so Mrs. Meucci begged Bob to use them. So he used them to red dot his shafts and used the tubes for ferrules.
Whatta coincidink? lol

Chris Cass
08-31-2002, 12:54 AM
Hi Redhead,

HAHAHA I didn't say they were all bad. I shot with a few over 11 yrs straight. I like the 2 pointers though, I seemed to have had some good luck too. LOL

C.C.

08-31-2002, 06:54 AM
Hey Bob.

Chris has the Meucci that's lasted for 11 years -- mine has been a thorn in my side for about 8. Which is approximately 7 years, 364 days, and 23 hours too long, but hey, it's not like I'm counting or anything....

Another use for Meuccis: unclogging backed up sinks and garbage disposals. Who needs a plumber's snake when a warped Meucci shaft will do just as well????

08-31-2002, 12:52 PM
Sorry, RedH, I did mix up what Chris said about the number of years he'd owned his Meucci with your post. I figured 11 years with a Meucci was like a life sentence, so I attributed it to you.

Your plumber's helper suggestion is another creative use, no doubt about it. I will add it to my book, if I ever write it.

Thanks, and good shootin'.

Bob