PDA

View Full Version : Viewing the gulf oil spill accurately ...

LWW
07-22-2010, 06:22 PM
<span style='font-size: 20pt'><u>What Does 184 Million Gallons of Oil Look Like?</u></span>
<span style='font-size: 20pt'><u>If The Gulf Was A Football Stadium...</u></span>

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/CNBC/Sections/News_And_Analysis/_News/_TEMPLATES/_SLIDESHOWS/VisualizingTheOilSpill/SS_Oil_Spill_visualized_football.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the Gulf of Mexico - the 7th largest body of water in the world, containing approximately 660 quadrillion gallons of water (that's 660 with 15 zeros) - was represented by Cowboys Stadium in Dallas - the largest domed stadium in the world - how would the spill stack up?

In this example, the amount of oil spilled - if the Gulf of Mexico was the size of Cowboys Stadium - would be about the size of a 24 ounce can of beer.

Cowboys stadium has an internal volume of approximately 104 million cubic feet, compared to the just over 50 cubic inches of volume in a 24-ounce can.

Just like the can, the spilled oil represents only .00000002788% of the liquid volume present in the Gulf of Mexico, although as the oil is dispersed, the amount of water affected becomes substantially greater. </div></div>
And now you know ... the rest ... of the story. (http://www.cnbc.com/id/38294088/What_Does_184_Million_Gallons_of_Oil_Look_Like?sli de=9)

LWW

eg8r
07-23-2010, 07:05 AM
So I guess we should just forget all the bad news about the spill, all the clean up efforts, pat Obama on the back for doing a good job and just forget the whole thing happened?

It doesn't make me feel much better to see the spill compared to a can of beer in a football stadium. Oil has already washed up on beaches, ruined local economies, bankrupted people, killed wildlife, etc.

Tell me this, when you meet someone with cancer do you tell their family members it is not that big of a deal since their loved one is only 1 person out of 6 billion? How would that make the person feel?

eg8r

LWW
07-23-2010, 07:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess we should just forget all the bad news about the spill, all the clean up efforts, pat Obama on the back for doing a good job and just forget the whole thing happened?

It doesn't make me feel much better to see the spill compared to a can of beer in a football stadium. Oil has already washed up on beaches, ruined local economies, bankrupted people, killed wildlife, etc.

Tell me this, when you meet someone with cancer do you tell their family members it is not that big of a deal since their loved one is only 1 person out of 6 billion? How would that make the person feel?

eg8r </div></div>

Now you sound like Q or G.

Of course, I never said any of that.

The point was/is that this has been trumpeted as the reason to ban offshore drilling and make us further dependent upon terrorist states for energy.

When put in the proper perspective it isn't even approaching anything remotely close to that serious of a problem ... put simply the prescribed "CURE" is many, many times worse than the disease.

Of course the clean up should continue and steps be taken to keep this kind of thing to a minimum in the future.

That won't happen however, as the regime is Hades bent on US firms leaving the gulf so that the oil can be drilled by the uber eco conscious Cubans and Chinese.

LWW

eg8r
07-23-2010, 07:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now you sound like Q or G.

Of course, I never said any of that.</div></div>I did not say you said anything, did I? Since you never say anything, I am forced to ask questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The point was/is that this has been trumpeted as the reason to ban offshore drilling and make us further dependent upon terrorist states for energy.</div></div>If you have a point to make then why not try and make it clear? You did not do that. All you did was give us a comparison of the oil spill to a can of beer. If you don't like people putting words in your mouth, then open your mouth and tell us what you are trying to say. That way you can drop your, "I did not say that" garbage and real discussion can happen.

eg8r

pooltchr
07-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Larry, I agree that there may have been some level of failure to prevent this spill from reaching the coast in order to bolster the arguement against off shore drilling.

But, the arguement about the ratio of oil/water in the gulf is a pretty weak one. The fact is, the oil did reach the coast, and continues to cause major problems. You can't argue that the amount of oil reletive to the amount of water makes it insignificant, when the beaches and marshes are coated in sludge.

Obama dragged his feet early on, and allowed the impact of the spill to be much worse than it needed to be, but I didn't buy this arguement whe RL made it, and I still don't. It has done extensive damage, regardless of how much or little there is reletive to the water in the gulf.

Steve

LWW
07-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Once again ... I'm not saying it has no significance. I'm saying it's not the apocalyptic event it's being sold as.

&gt;&gt;&gt;400K gallons in the first week&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hnRc-COAnkwXl4pq3IR3420c9jQQD9H4NTJG0)

&gt;&gt;&gt;100 foot high flames in a busy port&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38337393/ns/world_news-world_environment)

&gt;&gt;&gt;Great barrier reef threatened by the Chines spill before that&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/Chinese-Oil-Spill-Threatens-Australias-Great-Barrier-Reef-89916382.html)

&gt;&gt;&gt;40K gallons of refined (Unskimmable.) diesel fuel in January&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1951412,00.html)

There is a lot of data being barely reported, and it paints a very ugly picture ... even when the "OFFICIAL" Chinese govt estimates are used.

Our actions in the present are inviting the law of unintended consequences into the gulf.

LWW

eg8r
07-23-2010, 09:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But, the arguement about the ratio of oil/water in the gulf is a pretty weak one. The fact is, the oil did reach the coast, and continues to cause major problems. You can't argue that the amount of oil reletive to the amount of water makes it insignificant, when the beaches and marshes are coated in sludge.</div></div>To be quite clear lww did not really say anything which was the reason for my questions in the beginning. He didn't even make a point until after tell me he did not say things that I never said he said. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Stretch
07-23-2010, 11:13 AM
This spill has been politicized TO DEATH. For once and for the good of all it would have been nice to see how quickly things could have been cleaned up with quick decisive action and cooperation of all concerned. BP initially tryed to down play things to cover thier own asses but after that it was and still is a huge cluster f8ck of red tape, waste, and ecological disaster. How sad and tragic for everyone down there. They deserve better. All the finger pointing isn't getting anything done. Lets hope that real and effective oversight and controls for safety are put in place now, and that lessons learned from this concerning cleanup and compensation are put in place so that future accidents never have the same impact again. St.

pooltchr
07-23-2010, 11:25 AM
The finger pointing on the botched clean up was done by Obama the day he said that he and his administration were in charge of the clean up from day one. He took responsibility.
I think most of us are just trying to hold him accountable for what he personally claimed as his responsibility.

And yes, the number one goal should be, and should have been all along, to protect the coast from the oil. All the red tape, delays, and politics are indicators of the one major concept...the failure of the administration to act quickly and decisively to minimize the damage caused by the spill.

Steve

Qtec
07-23-2010, 11:38 AM
So if I took a piss in your swimming pool....that would be OK. Good to know.

Q.........apologist Larry.

LWW
07-23-2010, 01:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I took a piss in your swimming pool....that would be OK. Good to know.

Q.........apologist Larry. </div></div>

Of course I didn't say that.

But, I wouldn't pull it from the ground and give it to the Chinese if you did.

And , FWIW, your lame attempt at an analogy clearly overstates the true analogy by a factor of many millions.

LWW

Deeman3
07-23-2010, 02:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I took a piss in your swimming pool....that would be OK. Good to know.

Q...... </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yes, I buy chemical dispersents for people like you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

Qtec
07-25-2010, 09:00 PM
I think my piss ia better for you than the chemical dispersents that they are spraying in the Gulf. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Q