PDA

View Full Version : So much for "DRAINING THE SWAMP"

LWW
07-22-2010, 06:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A House investigative committee on Thursday charged New York Rep. Charles Rangel with multiple ethics violations, a blow to the former Ways and Means chairman and an election-year headache for Democrats. ...

Speaker Nancy Pelosi had once promised to "drain the swamp" of ethical misdeeds by lawmakers in arguing that Democrats should be in charge. ...

Republicans immediately seized on the case. House GOP leader John Boehner said the charges were "a sad reminder of Speaker Pelosi's most glaring broken promise: to drain the swamp in Washington." ...

Officials said that in the current case, the committee and Rangel's attorney tried unsuccessfully to negotiate a settlement. ...

The investigation of Rangel has focused on:
His use of official stationery to raise money for the Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service at City College of New York.

Whether he had the Ways and Means Committee consider legislation that would benefit donors to the Rangel Center at the same time the congressman solicited donations or pledges.

Preservation of a tax shelter for an oil drilling company, Nabors Industries, which has a chief executive who donated money to the center while Rangel's committee considered the loophole legislation.

Use of four rent-controlled apartment units in New York City, when the city's rent stabilization program is supposed to apply to one's primary residence. This raises the question of how all the units could be primary residences. One was a campaign office, raising the separate question of whether the rent break was an improper gift.

Whether Rangel, as required, publicly reported information on the financing and rental of his ownership interest in a unit within the Punta Cana Yacht Club in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Rangel also had to pay back taxes on the rental income.

Whether he intentionally failed to report when required hundreds of thousands of dollars or more in assets. The amended disclosure reports added a credit union IRA, mutual fund accounts and stock. ...

"He keeps ethics on Page 1 and Democrats, going into a tough election cycle, aren't eager to carry any liabilities beyond what they have," said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist College poll.
"But I think it has less to do barring any major undoing of his legislative career with his seat," Miringoff said. ...</div></div>

&gt;&gt;&gt;ARROGANT AND CRIMINAL ABUSE OF POWER SEEMS TO BE A PARTY REQUIREMENT&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38367462/ns/politics-capitol_hill/)

LWW

pooltchr
07-22-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm so glad that the party of Nancy Pelosi has brought ethics to government!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Steve

LWW
07-23-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm wondering how long it will take before the race card is played on this one.

LWW

Qtec
07-23-2010, 01:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>The timing of the announcement ensures that it will stretch into the fall campaign, and Republicans are certain to make it an issue </span>as they try to capture majority control of the House. Speaker Nancy Pelosi had once promised to "drain the swamp" of ethical misdeeds by lawmakers in arguing that Democrats should be in charge.

Responding to the charges, Rangel said in a statement, "I was notified today, <span style='font-size: 17pt'>two years after <u>I</u> requested an investigation,</span> that the Ethics Committee will refer the allegations reviewed by an investigations subcommittee to a subcommittee that will review the facts. I am pleased that, at long last, sunshine will pierce the cloud of serious allegations that have been raised against me in the media." </div></div>

Without knowing all the facts you find him guilty.

Q

Qtec
07-23-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm so glad the party of Family Values has brought family values to DC....LOL

Q

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McCain was still married and living with his wife in 1979 while, according to The New York Times' Nicholas Kristof, "aggressively courting a 25-year-old woman who was as beautiful as she was rich."

Giuliani informed his second wife, Donna Hanover, of his intention to seek a separation in a 2000 press conference. The announcement was precipitated by a tabloid frenzy after Giuliani marched with his then-mistress, Judith Nathan, in New York's St. Patrick's Day parade, an acknowledgement of infidelity so audacious that Daily News columnist Jim Dwyer compared it with "groping in the window at Macy's." In the acrid divorce proceedings that followed, Hanover accused Giuliani of serial adultery, alleging that Nathan was just the latest in a string of mistresses, following an affair the mayor had had with his former communications director.

But the most notorious of them all is undoubtedly Gingrich, who ran for Congress in 1978 on the slogan, "Let Our Family Represent Your Family." (He was reportedly cheating on his first wife at the time). In 1995, an alleged mistress from that period, Anne Manning, told Vanity Fair's Gail Sheehy: "We had oral sex. He prefers that modus operandi because then he can say, 'I never slept with her.'" Gingrich obtained his first divorce in 1981, after forcing his wife, who had helped put him through graduate school, to haggle over the terms while in the hospital, as she recovered from uterine cancer surgery. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>In 1999, he was disgraced again, <u>having been caught in an affair with a 33-year-old congressional aide while spearheading the impeachment proceedings against President Clinton. </u></span> </div></div>

What a hypocrite...and the list goes on and on and on.....foot tapper...and on and on....Diaper boy.....and on....LOL

BTW, Gingrich is a regular on Fox. You can't cheat on so many women and not be a HABITUAL LIAR. Why do they give this liar airtime?

LWW
07-23-2010, 02:13 AM
Can you show me where I did that?

What's that?

I didn't?

But you accepted the party "TRUTH" without question?

Imagine that.

LWW

pooltchr
07-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Q.
You seem to be a reasonably intelligent person. Why is it so difficult to admit that, after years of ethics questions about this guy, that it's pretty likely that there is some substance to the charges? Why would you resort to the tired old "well your guys do it, so it's ok for our guys" argument.

Let me put it simply. If I have a choice between having a representative who has questionable sexual preferences, or one who has questional financial dealings (especially, one in his particular position in congress), I say give me the perv over the thief every time.

Deflection doesn't work. You can find a better debate tactic.

Steve

LWW
07-23-2010, 07:05 AM
What does any of that have to do with whether or not this guy is a crook or not?

What's that?

It doesn't?

The party demands that you do whatever you can to deflect the harsh light of truth?

I already knew that.

BTW ... Gingrich did the honorable thing and resined. Clinton didn't. Neither has this democrook.

LWW

eg8r
07-23-2010, 07:19 AM
You are right qtip, lww should be above you and not repeat the same mistakes you are notorious for.

eg8r

Qtec
07-25-2010, 09:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are right qtip, lww should be above you and not repeat the same mistakes you are notorious for.

eg8r </div></div>

No chance of that.

Q

Sev
07-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I see Rangel is trying to cut a deal in order to slither out from under a trial.