PDA

View Full Version : 3-Piece Cues.

cushioncrawler
07-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Duz anyone out there hav any experience with 3-piece or 4-piece cues????
madMac.

L_Vigus
07-23-2010, 08:37 PM
After missing a shot. I saw a guy day make a 3 peice cue out of his two peice. All he had to say afterward was "hey it was a break stick anyway"

Larry

mstng81
07-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Are you asking about break/jump cues?

cushioncrawler
07-23-2010, 09:35 PM
No, i am meaning ordinary cues.
I just then seen some 5 piece cues on ebay etc -- theze are the sort of thing i am asking about -- ie shaft iz in small lengths az well az the butt.

I saw a minnesota fats 4 piece cue -- but this had an ordinary length shaft, with lots of small butt pieces -- i aint interested in this sort of cue.

Allso there are lots of multi piece snooker cues etc out there, but the shafts are aktually standard length -- zero interest to me.
madMac.

Rich R.
07-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Other than normal J/B cues, the only 3, 4 or more piece cues I have seen were inexpensive and Asian made. Some were meant to be playable cues and others were meant to be novelty items with ornate carvings on them. None of them were worth more than a few dollars. I never hit any balls with one so I can't comment on their playability.

Fran Crimi
07-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Mac,

They've been around for as long as I can remember and I've never seen a decent player use one. What does that tell you?

If they were good to play with, they would make life so much easier. Imagine how small the cue cases would be.

Fran

cushioncrawler
07-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Fran -- I seem to remember old footage of a usofa pool player who had a 4(?) piece cue.
There iz a 5 piece on ebay right now for $50. A similar one in Ozz didnt get any bids a few weeks ago, and i hav asked the seller if he/she will re-list. I might bid.

I suppoze that such a cue will hav low skrew-power. But that wouldnt worry me -- i would be happy with more kontrol -- ie i think that this sort of cue would dumb-down skrew etc and make skrew and stun more kontrollable.

Not that i would uze a 13mm pool cue for actual matchplay billiards on a 12' table, but it would be a cheap way of testing this sort of set-up. I hav a few theorys.
madMac.

Bambu
07-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Years ago I bought a Lucasi jump/break 3 piece. I knew it wasnt a quality cue, but it served its purpose well for bar pool. These days it breaks down nice and short for my 5 year old.

Chopstick
07-25-2010, 10:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duz anyone out there hav any experience with 3-piece or 4-piece cues????
madMac. </div></div>

You wouldn't like them. They are all straight and the tips are round. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

cushioncrawler
07-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Chops -- I think i might get that 5-piece. But a few days ago i got a local cue doctor to make my 2-piece a 3-piece. And i am prezently testing it. The extra wt near the noze feels good to me. And the effekt on varyus shots iz interesting. But its early days. I will report on my findings later, praps in another thread.
madMac.

JJFSTAR
07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Robert Byrne says "shun any cue that breaks down into more than 2 pieces" (excluding J/B cues I assume). Thats good enough for me.

Sid_Vicious
07-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I'll always feel that way myself. What purpose could these 3-5 piece cues really make for a sensible pool player? Sorry, but I have to be blunt in my opinions. sid

cushioncrawler
07-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Sid -- I am prezently testing all of my cues, inklooding my new old 3 piece.
Test No1. Hitting the Qball up'n'down the table -- uzing target marks -- uzing a meezle ball -- hour after hour. I am wearing out about 88 groovs on my poor 12' bedcloth. Its hard work. U get sore, and hot.

Test No2. A long-range straight stun-pot -- at test of akuracy.
Test No3. A short-range straight skrew-back -- a test of max skrew.
Test No4. A soft short-range red'to'cushion'to'yellow cannon -- a test of max check-side at very soft pace.
Test No5. A long-range half-ball in-off, plain ball -- a test of akuracy.

Am getting some interesting rezults. More later.
madMac.

LWW
07-27-2010, 03:57 AM
http://oldtoolheaven.com/history/historyimg/no84hacksaw.jpg

Why pay a cuesmith ... this tool will allow anyone to convert a one or two piece cue into a three piece cue.

LWW

cushioncrawler
07-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Dubb -- This reminds me. I once won a cue for winning a minor snooker tournament. Much later i cut the cue in 3. Joint No1 woz a home'made sqeez friktion fit uzing a 6" nail. Joint No2 woz a home'made bit of coach bolt.

I won an A-grade billiards game uzing the cue. When i brort it out at supper and showed everyone how it came apart it got one of the biggest laughs ever. The 3 bits sat together ok -- but when unskrewing the skrewy bit the butt precessed about 10dg -- looked weird.

Or, praps, they were all laughing at the "speed'slot" -- where i took away about 30% of the wood on one side of the shaft -- at about the 1/4 point -- to make sure the shaft flexed in one direcktion every shot.

Or, praps, they were all laughing at the qtip -- this woz in effekt a "chisel" shape -- not round -- but a sort of horizontal wedge.

Hmmmmmmm -- I think i had had one joint too many when i made that.
A failed experiment.

Tool uzed inklooded a hacksaw -- an angle'grinder -- and of course a drill.
madMac.

Sev
08-27-2010, 08:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duz anyone out there hav any experience with 3-piece or 4-piece cues????
madMac. </div></div>

Contact Ron Kilby of Carom Cues. He makes a great travel cue that is a 3 piece.

http://www.caromcues.com/

cushioncrawler
08-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Yes i had a look -- looks like he makes 3-piece -- and both joints are wood -- amazing.
One of my team-mates uzes a wood-jointed snooker cue.
But, the main reason for the extra joint for me woz to get some wt down near the noze -- a wooden joint wont add much wt.

I am uzing (learning to uze) that new old 3-piece that the cueSmith in geelong (Mill) did a month ago.
The tip section iz 14-1/4" long (wood) then 1-3/4" of brass joint (wt 4-1/2oz).
Plus i hav a 4oz skrew-in wt in the end of the butt -- total = 16.7oz + 4.5oz + 4.0oz = 25.3oz.

I luv it -- but i will need to uze a band-aid on my bridge thumb (Vee bridge) koz my skin iz wearing out too quickly.

U are not going to beleev it, but for long-range shots this (9.5mm) cue haz zero squerv (for me) -- ie much less squerv than even my thin (9mm) thin billiards-snooker cues.

Mill woz amazed az well. He had had a few shots with it on hiz 12' table in hiz factory. And he koodnt get over the fakt that adding wt near the tip aktually reduced (long-range) squerv.
This iz something Dr Dave kood look into.

And, Mill woz impressed by the eez of masse' shots.

But, Mill woznt impressed by the loss of skrew-power. But i hav gotten used to the new balance, and my skrewing iz not far behind what it woz when a 2-piece.

Hmmmmm -- in fakt, the 3-piece skrews az good az when it woz a 2-piece -- koz, early on, i never kood skrew very well when 2-piece.
Much later on i started to skrew well (with the 2-piece) but i think it woz mainly due to the nice rounded shape developed by the tip (10mm) it had then -- whereaz the prezent (new) tip iz smaller (9mm) and harder and flatter.
I might change the tip to a 10mm and see if i kan get all of my old skrew power back.

But there iz something going on for sure. The 3-piece makes a funny noise. There iz some sort of krap happening at impakt. It iz probly related to the natural vibration (or lack of it).

But i luv the 3-piece arrangement -- i reckon it will help my game -- english billiards here -- worth the $260.
A standard brass joint would hav cost only $150 -- but would hav added only about 2oz i think.
mac.

Wity
08-28-2010, 07:12 AM
The more joints in a cue the more problems you'll have. You Simply cant beat a one piece.

cushioncrawler
08-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Mill sayd more than once that the joint wouldnt last.
But naturally he would say that, mainly to cover hiz ar$e and reputation, even tho from the start i sayd i would take full responsibility etc if it broke etc.
Mill uzed 24hr araldite to glue brass to ash.

I would be very happy to hav more joints put in, in the 2 longer bits, to make it a 5-piece, for eez of carrying, but would cost $150 per joint.

But i hav hearded or readed where top players sometimes rave about how good a 1-piece iz (after uzing a 2-piece or 3/4 for years) -- ie after trying some sort of 1-piece they found somewhere -- probly just talking about skrew-power i think -- there might be some truth in this.
mac.

Bambu
08-28-2010, 07:16 PM
I have heard the same thing about cues, the less joints the better, etc. But if that were really true, wouldnt we see more 1 piece cues? I dont always pay all that much attention to cues, but I have yet to see anyone lugging around a 1 piece.

Wity
08-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I think you have to be a bloody good player to tell the difference between a 3/4 and a one piece snooker cue.(maybe not so with a 2 piece though) Most of us given two cues of identicsl spec with a bit of tape hiding the joint or lack of wouldnt tell the difference in a month of sundays. I just prefer a one piece because i've experienced a cue's joint working loose at a crucial time and the subsequent miscue that cost me a match.
Really cant understand "the ease of carrying around" arguement though I've gone to play walking, on the bus, in a taxi and my own car and never once felt it awkward but there again i go match fishing and as any fisherman will tell you having enough space when the back seats are folded down for your rodbag when picking a car is the major selling point.
You dont see many if any US pool players using a one piece but i reckon as with the current snooker trend most uk pool players prefer a one piece.

cushioncrawler
08-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I suspekt that if u hit a 1-piece cue sideways near the guts, it would vibrate, and that there would be 2 points on the cue that behaved like nodes, ie where there woz nearnuff zero vibration.
I reckon that one node might be say 25% of L from the tip.
The other say 15% of L from the butt.

If u played a skrew shot, i suspekt that a point say 30% L from the tip would initially hav zero sideways moovment -- hencely this might be the best place for a brass joint.
The lokation of the other node (and joint) near the butt probly aint important.
mac.

Fran Crimi
08-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Pat Fleming was a really strong player and had a special case made for his one-piece cue. He looked like Robin Hood walking into the pool room. Many of us watched Pat win a lot of matches with that cue back in those days.

Bambu
08-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Ah, the accustats guy. Thanks, did not even know he played. I figured there would be a few exceptions, just never saw one.

Fran Crimi
08-30-2010, 02:38 PM
LOL.... long before Pat was the Accu-Stats guy he was a top level professional player.

Rich R.
08-31-2010, 07:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL.... long before Pat was the Accu-Stats guy he was a top level professional player. </div></div>
Oh, how soon they forget. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
08-31-2010, 03:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Oh, how soon they forget. </div></div>

It's a new generation, Rich. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Feeling old yet?

JimS
09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Oh, how soon they forget. </div></div>

It's a new generation, Rich. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Feeling old yet? </div></div>

Yes... I am.

I saw where a cue maker named Sheldon Lebow (sp?)was making a quality 3 piece cue.

cushioncrawler
09-28-2010, 05:52 AM
I googled and had a look, but koodnt see anything obvious re 3 piece.
But he calls himself the madCuemaker -- so he kood be ok.
At prezent he sez he iz fully booked with custom cues -- so haznt anything shown for sale.
mac.

But i am prezently uzing my 25.3oz 3-piece english billiards cue ok.
At prezent it haz a chizel-tip (yes a chizel tip).
A chizel-tip iz any kind of leather tip -- but sanded to be oval -- or even rectangular.
U only liv once.
mac.

Scott Lee
09-28-2010, 09:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Oh, how soon they forget. </div></div>

It's a new generation, Rich. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Feeling old yet? </div></div>

Yes... I am.

I saw where a cue maker named Sheldon Lebow (sp?)was making a quality 3 piece cue. </div></div>

Jim...One of my students at a Bay Area pool school last winter had one of Sheldon's cues. It played VERY well, and the owner had a leather case made for it. He travels to the P.I. a couple times a year, and takes this cue with him in his suitcase. I played a couple of racks with it, and it hit as well as any other cue.

Scott Lee

JimS
10-02-2010, 06:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Oh, how soon they forget. </div></div>

Yes... I am.

I saw where a cue maker named Sheldon Lebow (sp?)was making a quality 3 piece cue. </div></div>

Jim...One of my students at a Bay Area pool school last winter had one of Sheldon's cues. It played VERY well, and the owner had a leather case made for it. He travels to the P.I. a couple times a year, and takes this cue with him in his suitcase. I played a couple of racks with it, and it hit as well as any other cue.

Scott Lee </div></div>

Thanks Scott. Nittany Leather shows a case made for one of his cues. I'd like to get one someday.