PDA

View Full Version : advice needed for purchasing a cloth

08-26-2002, 09:54 PM
My son just phoned. Today he bought an 8' pool table from a friend of his father in law. The seller was moving so it is suppose to be a good deal. He paid $300. He moved it himself. He took it apart. It is about 8 years old. It says American "something or other on it. It has a 3 piece slate and the wood is oak. It is in excellent condition. It originally cost about $2,000.

He needs a new cloth. I told him I thought simonis 860 cloths are the ones everyone says are the best. But he only wants to spend about $100 for a cloth. Can he get a decent cloth for this price? What brands will play good? About how much would a Simonis 860 ? cloth cost? He lives just outside Chicago and wants to buy one tomorrow so he can put it on. Is this difficult? He said it had a good cloth but they had to rip it off to move the table. He says the rails came apart separately. And the cloth on the rails is in good condition.

He said the sticks are old and he doesn't think they are straight or in good condition. Are there any started kits of sticks that are decent for a cheap price. He saud a set if balls came with it. I never saw my son shoot pool. He probably only played in taverns ocassionally and maybe in a pool room a few times. I think there is a Brunswick store near downtown Chicago. There was back in the 60s. Would their cloths & sticks be any good? I appreciate any store names or brand names and approximate prices you all can give. Is there any thing in paticular I should look for when I go take a look at the table tomorrow night?
I never like playing on an 8' table. But I didn't want to ruin his excitement. Thanks for the help.

08-27-2002, 12:42 PM
The table is made by Leisure Bay. I told him I didn't know if they made good tables or not. He is talking about going to a Spa & pool table place to buy a cloth. Are the cloths nailed or stapled? Do they sell a kit or just the cloths? He's assuming anyone can put a cloth on a table.

Rod
08-27-2002, 03:13 PM
Eddie, first of all I'm no expert. Some one will come across with a good answer. Cloth can be bought through a number of suppliers. Muellers and a bunch of others. He needs to compare prices. Cloth is stapled. Cloth is generally sold per table size. That's enough to do the bed and rails. No anyone can not put on cloth let alone set up the slate and level the table. Have it done once the right way, even if that means waiting until the budget can afford it. Just posting this to bring it to the top.

08-28-2002, 02:50 AM
I saw the table tonight. My son bought a cloth on his way home from work for $100. He stapled it on as instructed where he purchased the cloth. The three pieces of slate look pretty level. That's using a 3' or 4' level. I think I remember reading in an old post that there is a certain type of level you should use on pool tables. He had some shims under the legs of the table. The cloth looked ok. I wouldn't know how to tell if it is tight enough.

The rubber rails were attached to the wooden part of the rail. He didn't recloth them. The head and foot rail were each 1 section. Both of the side rails were two sections. We were able to screw on the head rail, foot rail, and 3 out of 4 side rail section. One section doesn't stay together with the others properly. And that section has play to it. You can wobble that section up & down without too much hand pressure. The ball will bounce off it. But it doesn't sound correct and seems a little slower then the others. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Each of the 4 side sections is held on by 3 screws each. And the head and foot sections are each held on by 2 screws and 1 bolt. The steel piece that the bolt screws into came off with 1 of the bolts. And he just left it off. It doesn't seem to have caused a problem. But maybe that has something to do with the problem we are having with the side section. And 1 side section only has 2 screws. One is missing. But we aren't having problems with that side section. My son did this with help from 1 friend.
Thanks.

Rod
08-28-2002, 02:01 PM
Eddie, I'll do the best that I can. The level is a machinist's level. A 3 or 4 foot level is not near accurate enough. There needs to be bees wax or plaster of paris to fill and level the seams between the slates. You absolutely need all 3 screws for each side rail. Without them it will not provide a solid base for that rail and cushion. It will cause a dead rail. As far as the rail not being tight I'm not sure but maybe the screw lengths are not right and they bottom out before the rail is tightened. He may be able to buy screws from the local hardware store. Also check the threads, sometimes they are dry/damaged and won't tighten up all the way. I thought someone who has done a lot of this work would have replied. Maybe someone will yet. BTW those steel brackets do serve a purpose. Just what I'm not sure without seeing it maybe a reinforcement of some kind.

08-28-2002, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the help Rod.
I'm not handy at all. And this my son's table at his house. He paid $300 or $350 for it. And the previous owner showed him how to take it apart. It was basically taking out the 16 screws and 2 bolts. Then they loaded the 3 pieces of slate into a van and moved them the 1/2 hour ride. Then they moved the frame. The cloth was good but they had to rip it off when they took apart the table. He just put the 3 pieces of slate back into the frame. Then he stopped on his way home from work and bought a cloth for $100 from a pool & spa place. He stapled it on. Then I went by his house and we screwed on the rail sections. But that one section is sort of lose. It makes the rail kind of dead. And you can wobble the rail up and down with fairly light hand pressure. I wouldn't play on a table like that. But my son (I have stepsons) only play ocassionally at a bar. My sons never saw me play.

I thought there would be a lot more work required. But if we fix that one rail the table would be playable to me. And he has two brushes, a plastic rack, a set of balls and some very cheap sticks. Only one cue is usable. It looks like a wooden bar cue. A couple others are warped too much to use. There is a one piece hollow cue that he gave to my nephew last night. I never saw one like that. It is cheap and looks like plastic. And he has a budwieser 2 piece that looks very cheap. And another two piece. The butt had some cards in the suit of clubs I believe. And some dice numbers on it. But it to looks very cheap. The raps are coming off. Some of these sticks have the tips with the plastic ferrules that are just slipped onto the stick. So he will need a set of 4 cheap sticks. Thanks again.

08-28-2002, 04:51 PM
Just admit it Eddie. This is YOUR new table! We all start somewhere.

:-)

08-28-2002, 05:02 PM
I wish I had his basement. I would wait until I could purchase either a 9' Diamond or 9' Gold Crown. Maybe like the ones mentioned here that you can buy for about $4000 after a tournament. I haven't been able to play any pool since the end of June. And probably in Oct I will be forced to take about an 18 month vacation. That will probably mean no pool for a long time. Maybe in my dreams.

08-28-2002, 06:41 PM
yeah, sure Eddie.