PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite Production Cue?

warped cue
07-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Newbie here on this Forum only. Mine is a Mcdermott cue. It plays & hits well for me. There are many others out there so, whats yours?

hondo
07-25-2010, 03:16 PM
I like Joss cues.
Second would probably be the upper level McDermotts.

If you become dissatisfied with your McDermott, go custom cue.

Fran Crimi
07-25-2010, 03:24 PM
I agree --- McDermott's are good. Predator is my favorite production cue.

Rich R.
07-25-2010, 07:05 PM
It's tough to beat the guarantee that comes with a McD.

I don't use production cues often but I do have a Tiger cue with their X-Shaft that I like.

Bambu
07-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Predator. I would really miss my Z-2 if they made low deflection shafts illegal.

Bambu<<<<< paranoid

Fran Crimi
07-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Bite your tongue Bambu! A whole bunch of us would be missing them if they made low deflection shafts illegal. Not to worry, though. There's no way they could be considered illegal. It still requires skill to aim and shoot with them. Some players can't play with them at all.

Bambu
07-27-2010, 08:24 AM
I dunno Fran, I hope youre right. I heard the bca banned plastic tips on break cues. So, I'm still holding onto my old schons I bought from Danny back in the day.

mstng81
07-27-2010, 08:58 AM
I like my McDermotts, but I've never shot with anything else for any period of time. I guess I'm just sticking with what I know. Maybe I'll get a custom some day but that day probably won't be tomorrow.

Fran Crimi
07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Bambu, I think the reason they are banned is because they were putting cracks in the cue balls. Not a good thing. Non-deflection shafts don't damage cue balls.

Rich R.
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bambu, I think the reason they are banned is because they were putting cracks in the cue balls. Not a good thing. Non-deflection shafts don't damage cue balls. </div></div>

Fran, have you ever seen a cue ball chipped or cracked by a phenolic tip? I know I haven't.
I suspect any chips or cracks come from players jumping them off of tables onto hard floors and they are just blaming it on the phenolic tips.

Bambu
07-28-2010, 09:14 AM
True Fran, but I agree with Rich. I use a BK2 and I break pretty hard. (Hard enough to bleach the color out of the cloth.) I rotate 3 clean cueballs before cleaning the ball set, never any damage. Just guessing here, but I suspect a group of people whined enough about nothing.... and got their way.

warped cue
07-28-2010, 04:13 PM
It looks like Fran is called out to me! Whats the proof Fran? I break with a hard WB leather tip so this really dosen't matter to me. I am just trying to figure out if Fran is real or not.

Bambu
07-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Nobody is calling anybody out, this is merely a friendly discussion. I grew up watching Fran play for many years, learned a ton just watching her play. Trust me, Fran is as real deal as it gets(not to mention a master instructor).

warped cue
07-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Wow! Thanks for the info! I had no idea Fran had all that going for her. I just thought it was someone posting some hooey. I hope Fran isn't mad at me or you as well.

Bambu
07-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Nah, I'm not mad. Btw I also forgot to mention that back in the 80's Fran was ranked around 13th in the world. I can only remember one other woman in the area that might have beaten her, Billie Billings. I dunno what ever happened with her, but she was also amazing to watch.

warped cue
07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for that info on Fran! With those credetials I am dead meat if I should ever play her. Fran has my utmost respect from now on & I thought she was a Rail Bird... as Homer Simpson would say..Doh I am a dufus.

hondo
07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: warped cue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for that info on Fran! With those credetials I am dead meat if I should ever play her. Fran has my utmost respect from now on & I thought she was a Rail Bird... as Homer Simpson would say..Doh I am a dufus. </div></div>

Plus, I heard she makes some killer pasta.
We used to fuss at each other til we started talking about lasagna. I know when to retreat. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

warped cue
07-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Oh.. you are making me awful hungry right now! Guess I will have to eat some leftover pizza rolls tonight..yuk!

hondo
07-29-2010, 07:11 PM
LOL! Enjoy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
07-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Actually I have, Rich. Two years ago in Reno the cue balls were beaten up so badly that by the end of the week we might as well have thrown them away. There were three events in a row that week, the USPPA championship with 150 players, then the Junior World Championship with another 64 (boys and girls) and the Reno Open with another 140 or so, all 9 ball, all with players breaking hard and lots of phenolic tips. We started out with new cue balls. I think that as a result of those events both Mark Griffin and Tony Annigoni banned the use of those tips for their associations and leagues for future use.

Rich R.
07-31-2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the response Fran. I wasn't aware of that happening.

Do you know if there was some way that they determined the damage was from the phenolic tips on the cues and not from the cue balls hitting the rack when breaking?
I'm guessing that if the cue balls were damaged and not the one ball, the cue ball damage could be from the cue tip.

I'm also wondering which is a harder material, the cue tips or the balls themselves. Without any proof what so ever, I suspect the balls are harder. Maybe some one with knowledge in this area will chime in.

This would be an interesting science/physics project for some one with the time and the knowledge to check it out.

warped cue
07-31-2010, 07:03 AM
Most pro men break at 25-30 mph so, Fran is right as something is going to give. The cueball is pretty tough though. I have dropped mine off the table more than once with no damage. It however, was not zipping along at 25 mph +.

Fran Crimi
07-31-2010, 08:42 AM
There may have been extenuating circumstances at this particular event but it can't really be proven for sure. We found out afterwards that a referee or Tournament Director was cleaning the balls with some kind of solvent that may have been compromising the finish on the balls, particularly the cue balls. That, coupled with the phenolic tips may be the culprit, however, I am seeing cracked cue balls more and more frequently in pool rooms where better players frequent.

I think that as the finish begins to wear off of a cue ball, it can't stand up to these tips where it could hold up against leather.

I would imagine that all cue balls eventually lose their protective finish over time and yet it's only recently that we see so many that are cracked.

Fran

Pacifist
07-31-2010, 05:32 PM
My favorite production cue is currently McDermott. Hard to beat the warranty. I used to play with a Predator and they are very nice too.

It would be interesting if someone could set up an experiment to see if phenolic tips really cause the cueballs to crack. I have heard there is a robot that can break very consistently. That robot could be used to set up breaks for phenolic tips and leather tips. By using a different cueball for each tip you could compare them and see which one develops cracks first. i wish I had access to that equipment. I would love to do experiments like this. Unfortunately I lack the funds and connections to make it possible.

cushioncrawler
07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There may have been extenuating circumstances at this particular event but it can't really be proven for sure. We found out afterwards that a referee or Tournament Director was cleaning the balls with some kind of solvent that may have been compromising the finish on the balls, particularly the cue balls. That, coupled with the phenolic tips may be the culprit, however, I am seeing cracked cue balls more and more frequently in pool rooms where better players frequent.
I think that as the finish begins to wear off of a cue ball, it can't stand up to these tips where it could hold up against leather.
I would imagine that all cue balls eventually lose their protective finish over time and yet it's only recently that we see so many that are cracked.Fran</div></div>Fran -- That aint a protektiv finish -- that iz the ball.
What u are uzing iz krappamiths. Krappamiths are vitreous balls, with a bakelite center.
That finish iz vitreous. I dont know what vitreous iz or iznt. Mr Krappamith wont tell.
I am thinking that if one kood take off all of the finish (vitreous), then one might be looking at a good ball, ie a ball that duznt kick much.
mac.

Fran Crimi
08-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Very interesting, Mac. So if that's the case then a solvent probably wouldn't remove anything but the shine. So I think there are two possibilities, then: Either excessive breaking with phenolic tips are damaging the balls, or the balls are not of the same quality they used to be.

Fran Crimi
08-01-2010, 07:32 AM
That would be a great idea. It wouldn't be a perfect test, as humans do strange things when they are breaking and the angle of attack varies, but it would definitely be a helpful experiment.

warped cue
08-01-2010, 12:18 PM
There is also different types of balls out there in varying quality. I like the Belgium Aramith Balls & clean them once a month with soap & warm water.

cushioncrawler
08-01-2010, 04:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very interesting, Mac. So if that's the case then a solvent probably wouldn't remove anything but the shine. So I think there are two possibilities, then: Either excessive breaking with phenolic tips are damaging the balls, or the balls are not of the same quality they used to be.</div></div>Fran -- We know that balls can chip if they leev the table and hit something (sharp), and we know that sandpaper can mark the ball.
Hencely it wouldnt surprize me if phenolic tips damaged a ball.
And we know that a fresh mark or freshly damaged patch on a ball can rezult in a kick.

But in all of my tests over the years, any old vizible damage never affekted the shot or rezulted in a kick.
Koz damage polishes naturally with use, and iz harmless even if very vizible.
Or u can polish damage non-naturally and it iz ok straight away, ie in a few minutes.

If u see any damage on a qball just replace it with a polished old one, and polish the damage. There iz no need to polish the damage kompletely "out".
But i hav no experience with cracks.

Aktually, snooker iz silly. They stop play to clean balls, particularly the qball, when all they havta do iz replace the ball with a clean polished ball, and let someone off camera keep a clean set. Silly.
Can u imagine a baseball match where they kept cleaning balls.

Re solvent. A perfiktly clean ball kix every time. And the "clean-kick" iz az bad az any chalk-kick. Tests (england) hav shown this. U can google this stuff.

If a ball iz kicking (or dirty) then it shood be cleaned, to remoov chalk etc, thats ok -- but u shood allso wipe the ball by hand without uzing a cloth etc, to get rid of any chance of having "perfikt-clean" on it.
In fakt the experimenters who did thoze tests concluded that snooker refs shood no longer wear gloves -- but this woznt really a proper deduktion -- their tests didnt really back this up.
Some solvents rezult in "perfikt-clean" i think -- and possibly some washing detergents -- and sandpapering.
Hmmmmmm -- In fakt, just thinking, damage and abrazion and marks and skratches dont cause kix -- ie its not roughness that causes kix -- roughness simply creates "allmost-perfikt-clean".
Likewize, chalk creates "allmost-perfikt-clean".
Thusly, i suspekt that "perfikt-clean" (ie solvent) givs a bigger kick than "allmost-perfikt-clean" (ie chalk or abrasion).
mac.