PDA

View Full Version : Apple, easy?????

Deeman3
07-26-2010, 09:59 AM
After a full 3 months of my I-Pad, I have gotten to the point it is a useful every day device. However, I had always heard, for many, many years how user friendly the Apple products were in comparison to Windows systems.

I wrote off many of my early difficulties to having been accustomed to using the MS system only for so many years. However, after a lot of struggles to get certain tasks down to an easy to operate system, I still find it cumbersome and not nearly as easy as Windows.

Back to the initial thought of ease of operation, when I was attempting to download photos onto the I-Pad, I had to first download them in a target folder in Windows, then sync my I-Pad through I-tunes, the portal for everything on the mobile devices from Apple. To accomplish this task, I visited many forums and found that even long term users of Apple were having all the same issues and even now, it is difficult to just move files around the system and make sure they are not, for instance, deleted out during the next sync of the I-Pad. This while inconvenient process makes drag and drop application in Windows much easier.

My question? Is it just that Apple users are so embarrassed to have spend the big bucks on their dearly loved products that they continue to make the claim that Apple is so easy to use? I mean, even the folks on the forums who have had Apples from day one are telling me ďthatís just Apple!Ē

What gives? Can Ed or any of you out there tell me why this is so? I can move volumes of Gigs in a few minutes with Windows and still moving a few photos into the I-pad is an uncertain and often unsure process for a state of the art product! Is this just an ongoing Apple sham of are there people that can use this system with ease. If so, they are not populating the internet tech chat rooms very much.

Donít get me wrong, I love my I-Pad but it sure seems to be a much more ticklish product to use than the others

LWW
07-26-2010, 10:14 AM
I have no iPad but have heard of similar issues from others.

FWIW ... the iPad does not run the Mac OS.

LWW

eg8r
07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I do not use a Mac and after years using MS and being an app developer I find the Mac OS difficult to use. I am sure if I was forced into using it I could get used to it, but 5 minutes here and there is never enough.

As far as moving pictures, video, audio, etc on and off the iphone and computer, that is a breeze and I love how easy iTunes is to use. Having said that, I have had an iPod for about 7 or 8 years (first one was the third gen ipod) and have extensive experience. I don't remember it being tough in the beginning but maybe it was.

eg8r

Deeman3
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Ed,

I plan to meet up with my son in law in a couple of weeks, he has all Apple junk plus the I-Pad, and let him help me if he can.

I have several hundred photos and images and just wanted to batch download them onto the I-Pad. After several waek attempts at converting them and trying to dowload them, I was told you have to set up a separate file in your host computer and do it by letting the I_pad sync them up. First, I did this and ended up with only about 65 of the hundreds I have converted on the I-Pad but then found out Apple won't do multi-level files so i did a few small batch by small batch. It has worked but on occasion it will lose a bunch of them. As I said, a windows drag and drop seems light tears ahead of the game and I just can't figure why Mr. Jobs doesn't seem to put fast and easy very high on his list?

I'll get it worked out but the other features, as I had told you before, are incredible. The instant searches and a lot fo the apps are great while a big chunk of them seem to be horrible and just take up space. Being able to pull up a USA Today, Fox or the Times is nice as well as catching u-tube videos in a nano second.

Heck, the download of books has been almost worth the price as I have over 50 titles already and it is nice to even have reference books right at your fingertips. So far, I have not noticed that the absence of a Flash Player to have an issue.

The WI Fi is terriffic and the low cost of the ATT plan does "hook me up" inevery spot I have been except here at work where I have a bunch of Wi Fi set-ups for my plant anyway.

If I ever get down to see you guys, you can see if you can help me if I still have any problems with it. Even if you only saw a Apple once /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif you can probably walk circles around me as Chopstick probably could as well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks,

Chopstick
07-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Check into the mobileme thing. You can put all your stuff up there and sync it back to any Apple device.

eg8r
07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
When you say multiple levels are you talking about folders with folders? I haven't messed with that but iTunes sets their music up this way so I just thought pointing to a folder with pictures would work the same way. I will have to test this at home with the iPhone and see if I have the same problems you are experiencing.

I am sure you already went through this, but when you go to sync your iPad there is a tab at the top of the screen for photos where you can identify multiple folders with pictures. Does this not work on your machine or is it failing due to embedded folders?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far, I have not noticed that the absence of a Flash Player to have an issue. </div></div>If you do any web surfing you will notice it right away and I promise you it is a dream. Nearly every ad on the web is flash based. By blocking it you don't have to wait for all that garbage to load. I love having flash gone. When I am in Firefox I have an add-in that removes advertisements so I have been living a mostly flash free life for quite some time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I ever get down to see you guys, you can see if you can help me if I still have any problems with it. Even if you only saw a Apple once you can probably walk circles around me as Chopstick probably could as well. </div></div>Well if you ever get down here I hope we are meeting at a pool hall. I met up with Chopstick once and he killed me but it was a blast. I have started working my way through the code documentation to write some iPhone apps and I have to say it is like taking a step back in time. Hard to believe it though.

eg8r

eg8r
07-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Yuck, for some reason I am totally against cloud computing. Maybe it is all the security at LM ingrained in me over the past 12 years and especially as a developer but I just can't believe the people that jump on cloud computing and never encrypt a single freaking document. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I do like the idea of app services in a cloud (MS seemed to fail miserably at this about 5 years ago) but then again security is a risk even if you are saving locally. Again, paranoia of working on secure programs here at LM. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
07-26-2010, 02:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check into the mobileme thing. You can put all your stuff up there and sync it back to any Apple device. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Chopstick,

I'll try that. It just seems to not like to work with anything that does not go through the I-tunes portal and only that when you go to your base computer. </span>

Deeman3
07-26-2010, 02:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say multiple levels are you talking about folders with folders? I haven't messed with that but iTunes sets their music up this way so I just thought pointing to a folder with pictures would work the same way. I will have to test this at home with the iPhone and see if I have the same problems you are experiencing.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Yes, multi layers of folders it will not or has not accepted. That makes it inconvient in that i like keeping them in the original raw folders like those I downloaded from my camera. </span>

I am sure you already went through this, but when you go to sync your iPad there is a tab at the top of the screen for photos where you can identify multiple folders with pictures. Does this not work on your machine or is it failing due to embedded folders?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yes, it seems to only let you identify one folder. Also, strange but true. I can't dowload any photos of folders directly from my external drives for instance. This may jjust be stupid me but when browsing in Safari (the Apple browser) or even in Goggle, I can't just send a photo from the web to my I-pad and I have not found a way to dump photos I am sent via e-mail directly to the I-Pad. I know, I am a sad case but I would survive all of 5 minutes in an IT job! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far, I have not noticed that the absence of a Flash Player to have an issue. </div></div>If you do any web surfing you will notice it right away and I promise you it is a dream. Nearly every ad on the web is flash based. By blocking it you don't have to wait for all that garbage to load. I love having flash gone. When I am in Firefox I have an add-in that removes advertisements so I have been living a mostly flash free life for quite some time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<span style="color: #FF0000"> It is nice and fast this way! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I ever get down to see you guys, you can see if you can help me if I still have any problems with it. Even if you only saw a Apple once you can probably walk circles around me as Chopstick probably could as well. </div></div>Well if you ever get down here I hope we are meeting at a pool hall. I met up with Chopstick once and he killed me but it was a blast. I have started working my way through the code documentation to write some iPhone apps and I have to say it is like taking a step back in time. Hard to believe it though.

eg8r
</div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Ed, Thanks. I think I need to take some real time and spend it playing with the computer and I-pad together so maybe I will learn some of this. However, when the long term Apple users seemed to be having similar issues with the photos, I thought it was odd that there are not a lot of shortcuts that a hick like me could use. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

Chopstick
07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check into the mobileme thing. You can put all your stuff up there and sync it back to any Apple device. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Chopstick,

I'll try that. It just seems to not like to work with anything that does not go through the I-tunes portal and only that when you go to your base computer. </span> </div></div>

MobileMe is attached to the Itunes portal. If you buy something at Itunes it will send it to MobileMe. It will also backup your I-gizmo as well.

Deeman3
07-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks.

I hope that may help solve the dowload of pictures as it is so much a hassle and I like having my photos. logos and collection of the most sensuous butts in history near me at all times. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't just send a photo from the web to my I-pad and I have not found a way to dump photos I am sent via e-mail directly to the I-Pad. </div></div>To save a picture off the web to your iPad should be the same as my iPhone. Try holding your finger on the picture for a couple seconds and you should get a couple options pop up, one is "save image".

eg8r

eg8r
07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Take a look at this page and see if it helps... How to copy pictures to your iPad... (http://www.gilsmethod.com/how-to-copy-pictures-to-your-ipad#)

eg8r

Deeman3
07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
See! I knew you guys would help. The holding down your finger thing works. Now why cold Apple not have put that in easy terms for me? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks, I'll try to how to copy lick when I get home.