PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to "TIME" for running this.

LWW
07-29-2010, 09:29 AM
In a rare moment the old school media has a member not parroting the regime's lies, halth truths, and innuendo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">President Obama has called the BP oil spill "the worst environmental disaster America has ever faced," and so has just about everyone else. Green groups are sounding alarms about the "Catastrophe Along the Gulf Coast," while CBS, Fox and MSNBC slap "Disaster in the Gulf" chryons on all their spill-related news. Even BP fall guy Tony Hayward, after some early happy talk, admitted the spill was an "environmental catastrophe." The obnoxious anti-environmentalist Rush Limbaugh has been a rare voice arguing that the spill he calls it "the leak" is anything less than an ecological calamity, scoffing at the avalanche of end-is-nigh eco-hype.

Well, Rush has a point. The Deepwater explosion was an awful tragedy for the 11 workers who died on the rig, and it's no leak; it's the biggest oil spill in U.S. history. It's also inflicting serious economic and psychological damage on coastal communities that depend on tourism, fishing and drilling. But so far while it's important to acknowledge that the long-term potential danger is simply unknowable for an underwater event that took place just three months ago it does not seem to be inflicting severe environmental damage. "The impacts have been much, much less than everyone feared," says geochemist Jacqueline Michel, a federal contractor who is coordinating shoreline assessments in Louisiana. ...

Yes, the spill killed birds but so far, less than 1% of the birds killed by the Exxon Valdez. Yes, we've heard horror stories about oiled dolphins but, so far, wildlife response teams have collected only three visibly oiled carcasses of any mammals. Yes, the spill prompted harsh restrictions on fishing and shrimping, but so far, the region's fish and shrimp have tested clean, and the restrictions are gradually being lifted. And, yes, scientists have warned that the oil could accelerate the destruction of Louisiana's disintegrating coastal marshes a real slow-motion ecological calamity but, so far, shorelines assessment teams have only found about 350 acres of oiled marshes, when Louisiana was already losing about 15,000 acres of wetlands every year. ...

Coastal scientist Paul Kemp, a former Louisiana State University professor who is now a National Audubon Society vice president, compares the impact of the spill on the vanishing marshes to "a sunburn on a cancer patient."

Marine scientist Ivor Van Heerden, another former LSU prof who's working for a spill response contractor, says "there's just no data to suggest this is an environmental disaster. I have no interest in making BP look good I think they lied about the size of the spill but we're not seeing catastrophic impacts," says Van Heerden, who, like just about everyone else working in the Gulf these days, is being paid out of BP's spill response funds. "There's a lot of hype, but no evidence to justify it." ...

In any case, the Valdez may have killed as many as 435,000 birds. The teams have found 488 dead sea turtles, which is unfortunate, but only 17 were visibly oiled; otherwise, they have found only one other dead reptile in the entire Gulf.

LSU coastal scientist Eugene Turner has dedicated much of his career to documenting how the oil industry has ravaged Louisiana's coast with canals and pipelines, but he says the BP spill will be a comparative blip; he predicts that the oil will destroy fewer marshes than the airboats deployed to clean up the oil. "We don't want to deny that there's some damage, but nothing like the damage we've seen for years," he says.

Anti-oil politicians, anti-Obama politicians and underfunded green groups all have obvious incentives to accentuate the negative in the Gulf. So did the media, because disasters drive ratings and sell magazines; those oil-soaked pelicans you keep seeing on TV (and the cover of TIME) were a lot more compelling than the healthy pelicans I saw roosting on some protective boom in Bay Jimmy. Even Limbaugh, when he wasn't downplaying the spill, was outrageously hyping it as "Obama's Katrina." But honest scientists don't do that, even when they work for Audubon.

"There are a lot of alarmists in the bird world," Kemp says. "People see oiled pelicans, and they go crazy. But this has been a disaster for people, not biota."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2007202-2,00.html#ixzz0v5KW0EYp
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2007202,00.html#ixzz0v5K8PtKp </div></div>

And for those with a memory ... I've said this about the spill all along.

LWW

eg8r
07-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I wonder if the people and business owners in the Gulf would be sharing the same kudos. I find it difficult to believe so.

eg8r

LWW
07-29-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't.

Anyone with a basic understanding of engines knows that oil behaves far differently in Alaskan temperatures compared to tropical temps.

The scaremongers kept trying to relate it to the Valdez because it was an American spill and expecting it to be worse because it was larger. I looked at it like the Saddam induced oil spills in very warm waters and how quickly it dissipated.

Again, none of this is to lessen the damage done as it was significant. But it has fallen far short of the anti capitalist Goremon apocalyptic predictions.

LWW

eg8r
07-30-2010, 07:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't.</div></div>And you are completely out of touch with reality.

eg8r

LWW
07-30-2010, 07:27 AM
So, why trust the observed reality when you can buy into the hysteria?

LWW

eg8r
07-30-2010, 07:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, why trust the observed reality when you can buy into the hysteria?</div></div>It is the reality that you are missing. Families, lives, and businesses have been destroyed because of this and instead of people like you saying, "We are terribly sorry for your loss but we are thankful this did not turn out as bad as it could have", what we see from you is, "suck it up people you are unemployed and lost loved ones but who cares this isn't actually the worst spill in history".

It would behoove you to take a step back and think about what you are typing and what you are trying to say because more often then not what you are trying to say is never typed, leaving people to make assumptions and then you tell them to "look up". It is time you "looked up" yourself.

eg8r

LWW
07-30-2010, 07:46 AM
And of course I never said any of that.

But, you already knew that.

LWW

eg8r
07-30-2010, 08:55 AM
That is the point, you never really say anything. Sad but true and yes you already knew that.

eg8r

LWW
07-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Actually ... I said the exact opposite of what you assumed that I said.

To make it simple enough that even Q and H might be able to follow along:

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>THE SPILL WAS A TRAGEDY MADE EVEN WORSE BY A REGIME WHICH HAS BEEN USING IT TO ADVANCE IT'S ANTI CAPITALIST AGENDA. IT HAS ALSO BEEN USED BY THE SAME REGIME TO PUH MORE PEOPLE INTO DEPENDENCY ON THE FEDERAL GUBMINT AND TO SHAKE DOWN BP AND TO FORCE THE USA TO BECOME EVEN MORE DEPENDENT ON FOREIGN OIL. THE SPILL HAS NEVER BEEN BAD ENOUGH TO JUSTIFY SHUTTING DOWN OIL PRODUCTION IN THE GULF OR FORCING WELLS TO LEAVE THE GULF. THE REGIME BLATANTLY STOOD IN THE WAY OF EFFORTS TO LESSEN THE EFFECT BECAUSE THE MORE FILM OF DEAD ANIMALS THEY COULD SHOW TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC THE MORE THEIR AGENDA WOULD ADVANCE. WHEN THE ANIMALS WERE FOUND TO BE SCARCE THEY BLOCKED THE MEDIA FROM BEING ABLE TO WITNESS THE CLEANUP.</span>

Clear enough?

LWW

eg8r
07-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Everything you are trying to say is exactly what the left was saying of W and you hated it then. Why do you do the same thing back to them?

eg8r

LWW
07-31-2010, 05:30 AM
Well ... first off I can make a fact based argument versus the rants of those spouting spoonfed "TRUTH" as in the past.

Second ... I know Alinskyism very well and how to counter it, which I do here often, and I love seeing those who practiced it for years get a bit of it back.

Third ... in spite of the incessant insistence from the left, I was never a Bush lover.

Fourth ... I judge Obama by the same standards I judged Bush. In areas where I supported Bush I also support Obama when his policy is the same/similar.

Fifth ... there is no evidence that Bush sabotaged the Katrina relief effort.

Sixth ... Katrina was also overblown in it's devastation by the MSM during the early phase. If you recall, we were told the death toll would be over 100,000 and blah blah blah blah. Completely inaccurate.

LWW