PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Talisman Laminated Water Buffalo Tips Grey

TomBrooklyn
08-27-2002, 12:06 AM
Why are they grey in color?

Rod
08-27-2002, 12:31 AM
I don't know Tom, but the ones I have are a shade of Green! They look dark grey or black until they are sanded or cut. Maybe mine are rare! lol

TalismanTony
08-27-2002, 04:40 AM
Hi Tom,

The WB tips should be a dark green colour and appear a lighter green when shaped. Some tips from much earlier batches appear a kind of grey when shaped, they were from before we changed the dye used.

The reason to dye the water buffalo was to make the two ranges of tips more easy to identify. The Talisman PRO is a natural tan color, so we went for green for the WB tips.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

SpiderMan
08-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Mine (bought in December) are sort of green. Actually, they appear to be alternating layers of white and green. These are the tips that I had to discard because they shaped poorly, in a "wedding-cake" fashion. I'm thinking it might have been a glue-penetration or leather problem.

Sid V. also has some Talisman WB tips. His are a dark green, and a more even coloration. I put one of these on for him and it shaped up nicely. It also holds chalk and plays well. I guess the ones I bought were from a different batch.

I'd be tempted to say that if the ones you think are gray are actually alternating light/dark, then you may have gotten hold of some like I had. Do they look like this picture?

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=Talisman+Water+Buf falo+Med.jpg&.view=t&.done

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
08-27-2002, 09:30 AM
BTW, I have never had any other problems with Talisman installations, so I don't think it was my process. Here's a more typical result using a Pro Soft.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/SPetty+Predator+Talisman&.src=ph&.dnm=New+Tip+Trim med+%26+Burnished.jpg&.view=t&.done

SpiderMan

TomBrooklyn
08-27-2002, 09:49 AM
Actually, Spiderman, I don't have any Talisman WB tips, but I was looking at a picture of them on Seybert's site http://www.seyberts.com/billiardaccessories/cue/cuetips/index.htm where they appear grey, perhaps a greyish green now that you mention it. I saw what you meant about the wedding cake type stepping in the picture you linked to also.

I just noticed something else. The Moori, Instroke, and Talisman Pro layered tips all have polka dots on them. Any idea how the polka dots got there? I suspect it has something to do with the manufacturing process.

Cueless Joey
08-27-2002, 09:52 AM
I just noticed something else. The Moori, Instroke, and Talisman Pro layered tips all have polka dots on them. Any idea how the polka dots got there? I suspect it has something to do with the manufacturing process.
<hr></blockquote>
I believe it's because they are made of pigskin.

TalismanTony
08-27-2002, 06:00 PM
Hi Tom,

Joey is correct the holes are the hair folicle holes on the pigskin.

Kind regards,

Tom_In_Cincy
08-27-2002, 06:04 PM
Spidy..
What kind of Camera do you have that does these great close ups?

Rod
08-27-2002, 07:03 PM
He has a great little camera. That is unless he bought a new even better one. Thats one reason why someone called him gaget boy. He even took a picture of me and it didn't break the camera. It must be heavy duty. I have a Sony that is a 3.4 mega pixel and it will take great close ups as close as an inch away. I really need a tripod or something steady to set the camera on. The new digitals are great cameras, but they ain't cheap. I was looking at a SLR digital but gave that up when I saw a lens was over a grand.

heater451
08-27-2002, 09:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> He has a great little camera. That is unless he bought a new even better one. Thats one reason why someone called him gaget boy. He even took a picture of me and it didn't break the camera. It must be heavy duty. I have a Sony that is a 3.4 mega pixel and it will take great close ups as close as an inch away. I really need a tripod or something steady to set the camera on. The new digitals are great cameras, but they ain't cheap. I was looking at a SLR digital but gave that up when I saw a lens was over a grand. <hr></blockquote>Rod,

From what I've seen recently, the 4-6 megapixel SLRs aren't quite worth the money yet--The exception being if you REALLY need it for your profession and such.

Some of the 3-5 megapixel "point and shoot" cameras are very good, yet offer a much more attractive price point--and they're dropping all the time.

A good example would be the Canon G2 ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong2/default.asp ), which came on the market within the last year at around $800-900. It can currently be found as low as $600 ( http://www.epinions.com/_Canon_PowerShotG2__618420 ).

The 'high-end' Nikon Coolpix cameras have a good following, and tend to have good reviews as well. I believe the the Coolpix 950 is sub-$1k.

Another thing--don't be fooled by the high megapixel number off the bat, as it doesn't necessarily mean that you get that much of a greater picture size. Remember that , due to the resolution property being two-dimensional, you have to have four times as many pixels, in order to double the picture size. The really high-end cameras usually have the edge over p-and-s cameras in speed and color control, however, although still probably not enough to warrant spending the extra $.

Also, as I've mentioned before, there is still the option of using your favorite 35mm film cameral, and having the film transferred to CD-ROM. Most places to this now, I believe.

A final option would be to pay a few grand for a film/slide scanner, and transfer the images to digital yourself. This is a pricey way to go (for a really good scanner), but it will eventually offer a savings over re-investing in newer, 'better', cameras. This would be another, "for professionals" due to the cost involved.

=======================

SpiderMan
08-28-2002, 09:17 AM
Tom,

It's an Olympus C-3000, but I don't think it's unique in this capability. I selected it for a number of reasons over all the other cameras out there. If you're interested,
email me and I'll summarize what I think is important (may not agree with your own priorities, though).

SpiderMan