PDA

View Full Version : Q Wiz

warped cue
07-31-2010, 02:35 PM
I got one two days ago & this product is amazing! One side is for cleaning & the other side is for polishing your shaft. For around 5 bucks it is really great & washable & reuseable. I use 91% alcohol to clean my shaft first & you will be amazed at the chalk you remove! When clean & no chalk residue is left on the shaft I use the Q Wiz polisher to make the shaft super slick! The Q Wiz is a very good product IMO.

LWW
07-31-2010, 04:21 PM
I concur.

LWW

cushioncrawler
07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Well, i hav got the dirtyst cue in the world, and i aint ever gonna kleen it.
I dont uze it, i just like looking at it in the rack.
It iz an old old cue, but it spent most of its life az a jigger.
It iz dark dark brown. U karnt tell where the splices iz.
I would love to uze it in a match, just to see the other player's faces.
mac.

LWW
08-01-2010, 06:09 AM
What is a "JIGGER" he asked with trepidation?

LWW

Rich R.
08-01-2010, 06:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: warped cue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one two days ago & this product is amazing! One side is for cleaning & the other side is for polishing your shaft. For around 5 bucks it is really great & washable & reuseable. I use 91% alcohol to clean my shaft first & you will be amazed at the chalk you remove! When clean & no chalk residue is left on the shaft I use the Q Wiz polisher to make the shaft super slick! The Q Wiz is a very good product IMO. </div></div>
I have been using the Q Wiz for years and I think it is one of the best products on the market for smoothing and burnishing a shaft. However, as with any abrasive product, I use it very sparingly.

L_Vigus
08-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Replacement shaft makers love Q Wiz. I am not against using fine sandpaper once a year or so. But Q Wiz is alittle courser than I think is needed. A scrap of billiard cloth is about all I recomend rubbing my shafts with. Keeping you hands clean goes along way.

Here is my solution to shaft bluing. This is my new playing cue.

http://www.thefroginator.co.uk/fm-pix/albums/userpics/purple%20heart%20lovers%20005.JPG

Larry

Fran Crimi
08-01-2010, 07:39 AM
I must admit that I'm addicted to that product. I carry at least 2 in my case at all times just in case I misplace one. However, I agree with what someone here said about it taking down the shaft. It's not just taking dirt off of the shaft. It's removing wood. I use it mostly when I'm in competition and need a quick fix. If I'm home I will take the time to clean and smooth the shaft without abrasives.

Bambu
08-01-2010, 08:17 AM
I like the mr. clean magic eraser better. Q wiz works good but it seems like a piece of leathery sandpaper.

warped cue
08-01-2010, 12:11 PM
I only use the polishing side = no wood removal. For sanding a shaft I ues 1500 grit sandpaper. The wet dry kind. Very little wood removal with this.

L_Vigus
08-01-2010, 12:37 PM
1500 is much better! I was very supprized when I saw how course the sanding side of a Q Wiz was, like 500 I am guessing. Warped, next time. Try burnishing with the back side of the sandpaper instead of the Q Wiz. Then burnish with a new crisp dollar bill. Not trying to bash Q Wiz, just trying to stop cue abuse!

Larry

cushioncrawler
08-01-2010, 05:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is a "JIGGER" he asked with trepidation? LWW</div></div>Dubb -- A jigger iz the Brass-Cross thingy that gals uze when they karnt reeech a shot.
U hear storys of top players when viziting new venues going around checking the jiggers. Often they would offer to buy the old old stick uzed for the jigger -- and they would make it into a nice cue.
mac.

Rich R.
08-01-2010, 07:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the mr. clean magic eraser better. Q wiz works good but it seems like a piece of leathery sandpaper. </div></div>
Bambu, I like the Mr. Clean Magic Eracer too, but that is more for home use. At the pool hall, I use the Q Wiz, but as I said, I use it very sparingly.
Also, if you keep the Q Wiz for a long time, it becomes less and less abrasive, taking less wood off of the shaft but it still cleans and smooths well.

Rich R.
08-01-2010, 07:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L_Vigus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1500 is much better! I was very supprized when I saw how course the sanding side of a Q Wiz was, like 500 I am guessing. Warped, next time. Try burnishing with the back side of the sandpaper instead of the Q Wiz. Then burnish with a new crisp dollar bill. Not trying to bash Q Wiz, just trying to stop cue abuse!

Larry </div></div>
I'm not sure what grit the Q Wiz starts at but it wears down quickly and becomes a much finer abrasive. They are washable and reuseable, so they can last a long time. The burnishing side works better than the dollar bill, IMHO.

If you really want an extremely fine abrasive, look for a product called "Crocus Cloth". Although you probably won't find it at your local Home Depot, some good hardware stores carry it. If not, it is easy to find on the internet. Crocus Cloth is a strong cloth impregnated with jewellers' rouge. Its primary use is for polishing metal and jewels, as well as a number of other things. Although there is usually no grit number associated with it, I have read opinions stating it is anywhere from 2000 to 6000. I used this product for many years but switched to the Q Wiz because it was easier to find.

As with any abrasive, I believe these products should be used sparingly.

Bambu
08-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks Rich, but the pads ain't that big. But if I go out, I just stuff a dry mr. clean pad in my case.

Rich R.
08-03-2010, 07:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Rich, but the pads ain't that big. But if I go out, I just stuff a dry mr. clean pad in my case. </div></div>
Don't they fall apart in your case, especially after using them?