PDA

View Full Version : Pro Taper On A Cue

warped cue
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
My Mcdermott has a 10" taper & some other cues have 12" taper. What does this mean? I am confused on the taper. Thanks!

Rich R.
08-03-2010, 06:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: warped cue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Mcdermott has a 10" taper & some other cues have 12" taper. What does this mean? I am confused on the taper. Thanks! </div></div>
On a tapered cue, the shaft continually tapers from the butt to the tip. This is most often considered a conical tapered cue.

On a pro tapered cue, there is a section, as you approach the tip coming from the butt, where the shaft no longer tapers and it is just straight. Per your question, some makers make that section 10"s long and others make that section 12"s long. Every cue maker determines just how long this straight section should be.

To the best of my knowledge, conical tapered cues are most popular with 3 cushion billiard players and snooker players. Pro tapered cues are most popular with pool players.

PLEASE, some one correct me if I'm wrong. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

warped cue
08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
That sounds logical Rich. Thanks!

cushioncrawler
08-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Not forgetting that the name pro-taper and conical-taper duznt cover all cues.
For example, i hav a cue with a waist (ie the thinnest part of the shaft) a few inches from the tip. Otherwize the taper iz conical. This iz a "waist-taper" i suppoze.

And, i hav a cue where the tip iz the fattest bit of the cue (14.2mm), the butt-end aktually being the thinnest bit of the cue (10mm). This iz a "reverse-conical-taper" i suppoze.
mac.

Rich R.
08-03-2010, 08:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not forgetting that the name pro-taper and conical-taper duznt cover all cues.
For example, i hav a cue with a waist (ie the thinnest part of the shaft) a few inches from the tip. Otherwize the taper iz conical. This iz a "waist-taper" i suppoze.

And, i hav a cue where the tip iz the fattest bit of the cue (14.2mm), the butt-end aktually being the thinnest bit of the cue (10mm). This iz a "reverse-conical-taper" i suppoze.
mac. </div></div>

I have never heard of these two types of taper. Are they used for general pool games or some other billiard games?

I have heard of one other type of taper. The shaft tapers down like a normal pro taper. It stays straight for a section in the middle and then fattens up slightly as it approaches the tip. I don't remember what term is used for this type of taper.

cushioncrawler
08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not forgetting that the name pro-taper and conical-taper duznt cover all cues.
And, i hav a cue where the tip iz the fattest bit of the cue (14.2mm), the butt-end aktually being the thinnest bit of the cue (10mm). This iz a "reverse-conical-taper" i suppoze.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never heard of these two types of taper. Are they used for general pool games or some other billiard games? I have heard of one other type of taper. The shaft tapers down like a normal pro taper. It stays straight for a section in the middle and then fattens up slightly as it approaches the tip. I don't remember what term is used for this type of taper.</div></div>That sounds like an "anorexic taper".
My "waist taper" cue -- i made it (modyfyd it) myself a few days ago, for english billiards.

My "reverse conical taper" cue -- this used to be a bar-billiards cue in our pub in the 60's. It had a rubber grip at the thick end, but the rubber perished and i threw the grip away.
It iz solid fibreglass.
I put a big tip on the fat end and now i hav a double-ended cue.
I uze the fat (heavy) end for masse's and both ends for nursery cannons (english billiards).
mac.

HoskenCues
08-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Tapers actually vary a lot, some have 10" straight, some 12". I believe cuetech used to have a straight taper as long as 20" on one of their shafts a few years back. I personally don't like an all out straight taper on my shafts. It may appear to be straight on the first 12"-15" but it is made up of 3 different tapers. All in all there's 6 tapers on my shafts.